Cheap alternative to mixing drill

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeT

Would a budget corded hammer drill be a cheap alternative to a mixer drill if I would only be using to mix up small amounts? I've got a small paddle that someone gave me and you can pick up drills for next to nothing. Beats using a stick . My mum is going to let me loose on a box room that needs skimming so gives me a good bit of practice.

Was looking for something cheap just to get me through this weekend. I have hand mixed so what I really should be asking is would a cheap as chips drill with a paddle be up to mixing half buckets?

Was looking for something cheap just to get me through this weekend. I have hand mixed so what I really should be asking is would a cheap as chips drill with a paddle be up to mixing half buckets?
Of course it would.... It'll probably take a bit longer than an expensive mixing drill but it'll surely mix a couple of half buckets!

I ordered one of the £50 red 1400w mixers off eBay to keep by me they feel a lot better made then expected and a decadent paddle. Must admit I actually prefer it now to the ancient refina we have at work! Will do 3 bags no stress and can get dab nice and thick can't really comment on the longevity yet but pretty much guarantee it will do a better job then a drill.

A £15 argos drill will mix half buckets no problem. Might only last the weekend though.

started typing by a podger and learn how to mix by hand as always good to be able to then starting think about it and thought how any times have I actualy knocked by hand over last 10yrs errrrm probabley about 3 times think on 4th occasioned I just moaned and went home!!!!!! lol

Mate bought the Aldi special. See memes cheap at £40 bought it smokes when you mix one bag of finish and after maybe 20 uses the paddle bent. I bought a 1800 watt Cheapo on ebay bout £70 and it's lasted me four yrs (part time) if it breaks I will buy another...

Would a budget corded hammer drill be a cheap alternative to a mixer drill if I would only be using to mix up small amounts? I've got a small paddle that someone gave me and you can pick up drills for next to nothing. Beats using a stick . My mum is going to let me loose on a box room that needs skimming so gives me a good bit of practice.

If you do get one of these. Dont use thr hammer setting. You wany just a cheap corded drill. Im sure b n q 's own brands will be cheap enough

started typing by a podger and learn how to mix by hand as always good to be able to then starting think about it and thought how any times have I actualy knocked by hand over last 10yrs errrrm probabley about 3 times think on 4th occasioned I just moaned and went home!!!!!! lol

If I want a proper early start on site during the summer. Im quite happy to knock a 3 bagger up with a podger. Or the 18v l ion battery drill will p1ss a 3 bag mix.

get a 1 x 1 timber flatten out two bits of skim bead about 4'' long and nail to end of timber, will do for a boxroom.. cost ya nothing, anything else and get a proper mixing drill...

Just buy a £12 plodger from Wickes for **** sake. Plastered hundreds of full houses using nothing more. If mixing up a bit of skim is to hard work for you you're not cut out for plastering IMHO.

Ps @essexandy , is that labourer still alive, god if I got a lab to mix like this for a day now, he would have a melt down.

Last edited by a moderator:
@johniosaif I used to labour on myself a lot of the time even when employing other spreads, I used to like the freedom of working on my own.

Last edited by a moderator:
@johniosaif I used to labour on myself a lot of the time even when employing other spreads, I used to like the freedom of working on my own.
Lots of us are from that era ANDY, couldn't imagine mixing it by podger now, but. I often bet with the labourer a weeks wages for a race mixing a bucket, him with the drill ,me with the stick and podger,they always bottle it, ha ha

I have a dewalt mixer in my garage that i have used for a few years mixing up drywall. It has sat in the same place for at least 18 months. I even bought a new paddle for it but never fitted it. I will check that it still runs fine, but i am sure it will. GeorgeT , I have read some of your posts and you seem a decent lad that just wants to learn the trade. With this if you want the mixer and the new paddle their yours. All i ask is if you can help me a bit on the courier cost. If i find any other tools that i don't use whist pulling this out if your interested , You may well end up with a surprise in the box. I was where you are now a few years back and i know what its like. I hope if i can help you out i will

I have a dewalt mixer in my garage that i have used for a few years mixing up drywall. It has sat in the same place for at least 18 months. I even bought a new paddle for it but never fitted it. I will check that it still runs fine, but i am sure it will. GeorgeT , I have read some of your posts and you seem a decent lad that just wants to learn the trade. With this if you want the mixer and the new paddle their yours. All i ask is if you can help me a bit on the courier cost. If i find any other tools that i don't use whist pulling this out if your interested , You may well end up with a surprise in the box. I was where you are now a few years back and i know what its like. I hope if i can help you out i will

top man, very decent.
ps I need a wife?

Nicely done bud :D

fair play chris

Nicely done bud :D

Some of us are in a lucky situation where a tool though it be second hand can help young lads out that want to get in the trade properly. After reading some of Georges posts i feel he is one of the few lads that are as keen as mustard. Few and far between these days.

Some of us are in a lucky situation where a tool though it be second hand can help young lads out that want to get in the trade properly. After reading some of Georges posts i feel he is one of the few lads that are as keen as mustard. Few and far between these days.

Your not wrong bud spoke a couple of time over pm with George he's a nice fella without doubt :)

cant sound like you chris spanky said he was a nice fella:RpS_thumbup:
fair play to ya though chris well done that man
image.png

If you don't take that offer up mate, and ime sure you will the Aldi Liddle mixers last a year or thereabouts with constant use or get down a car boot ive picked up a couple 110v Makita sds drills for £8 and you can get a paddle what fits straight in them.

Status
Not open for further replies.