Ceiling Problem

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should use isofix for this, we sometimes had this problem, and now with isofix (dunno if it's available in your country) it will "glue" all the previous layers together.

posparadox do you have link for isofix . When I do a search for it am just getting car seats.

Asbestos was not used in artex after 1985 .The old stuff when we use to mix you could see like silver partials
I was told that was the asbestos bit late for me spunky. They use to say the old spreads use to have clean lungs because of breathing in lime dust over the years cleanse the lungs . Or it might just be an old wife's tale who knows we no longer add lime into the plaster anymore why I dont know. We use to put 7 trowel fulls into the mix and then knock a bucket of skim up .

What percentage have come back positive nisus since you've been getting them tested

I would say 1/10.
The insurance work i used to do for a builder was about the same,
roughly out of every 10 ceiling leaks with artex on them,
1 was removed by asbestos removal firm.

Wonder if they do a asbestos removal weeks course:RpS_biggrin:
A grand to rip down a ceiling sounds good to me:RpS_thumbup:

stay away from it mate it;s a fecking involement and a big insurance to go with it,

Did a job few years in Stoke it was an insurance job & the blokes had been took off the job by the insurance company think it was for Halifax, the customer new there was traces of asbestos in the ceiling & told the blokes but they carried on ripping it down so he filmed them throwing it in the back of their van :-0
The company they worked for lost the insurance contract soon as Halifax found out fcuk knows how many blokes they had but they had no work anyway so I heard.
Think the bloke was after some compo so they prob got sued aswell.

He showed us the dvd, anyone on here from stoke & got a blue van:RpS_biggrin:

posparadox do you have link for isofix . When I do a search for it am just getting car seats.

Henry, sorry for the late reply, but it's from the brand "Brander" and it's called IsoFix. We use it quite often when the (paint)layer is porous, powderish (don't know the right term for that lol) or chalky. We also use it when there's silicone on the wall or ceilings, but sometimes there's just no guarantee.

We've had one job where w we had to come back 6 times because of similar situations like like this. But Isofix has helped us out a lot!

This is the first sensible answer I've seen in this forum. I've known quite a few "plasterers" to just go in to a house not knowing if there's any asbestos in the ceiling and just start scraping away the high points and skim over it any way. I mean if people want to take that risk it's up to them. But remember that the people or the kids that live there could be breathing that s**t in and plus it's going to be on your clothes and your gonna take that back home with you aswell. To me it's just not worth the risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.