Ceiling fell down...

Members online

Tony Dunne

About a week ago I re boarded a ceiling with 9mm 8x4 sheets I used 3 inch wood screws to fix as I ran out of drywall. The heads are bigger on the wood screws than dry wall so just thought it was a bonus. I positioned the screws eaqualy in rows of 4 along the width. Approx 32 screws in each board. It's a large ceiling with about eight boards. I then taped the joints and gave it two coats of plaster using x4 bags. Today without any warning the lot came down leaving the screws in the ceiling..... Any thoughts please?

About a week ago I re boarded a ceiling with 9mm 8x4 sheets I used 3 inch wood screws to fix as I ran out of drywall. The heads are bigger on the wood screws than dry wall so just thought it was a bonus. I positioned the screws eaqualy in rows of 4 along the width. Approx 32 screws in each board. It's a large ceiling with about eight boards. I then taped the joints and gave it two coats of plaster using x4 bags. Today without any warning the lot came down leaving the screws in the ceiling..... Any thoughts please?
I agree with above not enough screws also 8 x boards is approx 24m square so only 2.5 bags of skim.
Combination of not enough screws and to much weight.

Poor old Tony.

Should have got a professional

SF-2.gif

Bullshit!!!

Pics or it never happened

2mm in total, not per coat you chancer. 10msq per bag, not including waste or filling out to beads/frames.
Read back, Who said anything about 2mm per coat short arse! If you’re covering an area of 10m2 then materials = 1 bag first coat, 1/2 bag second coat. Would you like me to teach you how to price jobs again? Fucks sake you’ve been on lockdown far too long mate! Lol

Read back, Who said anything about 2mm per coat short arse! If you’re covering an area of 10m2 then materials = 1 bag first coat, 1/2 bag second coat. Would you like me to teach you how to price jobs again? Fucks sake you’ve been on lockdown far too long mate! Lol

The only way you can make a bag go 10m2 for 2 coats is out of same mix as they compress imo.

You're wrong you lanky streak of piss. 10m2 = 1 bag @2mm thick.
And two coats should be 2mm in total.

You're wrong you lanky streak of piss. 10m2 = 1 bag @2mm thick.
And two coats should be 2mm in total.
Tut tut! Stop reading the back of bags of multi ffs lol.
Just think of all these years you’ve wasted.
Ok, if a lid is 10m2 how much gear will it take to cover when 2 coating??

Is there a roof on the house? We’ve had a lot of rain!
Only ever use 12.5mm boards except sometimes use thinner on window reveals. Size of screw does not matter it is about the purchase it gets. Anyway screws did not let you down. You don’t want to break the paper by screwing them in to much, just below flush. More screws the merrier imo all put in around about with the spacing of a mans hand span (ish). You can dab the screw heads with a dob of PVA to help bond if you want to prat about further

Last edited: