Card payments

john simpson

Anyone any recommendations for card payments?
IZettle? PayPal?Sumup?
Wont be something i would use often but saves that bank will only let me take £300 etc or ive no cash on me.
Seems fair to offer something like this in 2017! They are only 20 or 30 quid

IZettle? PayPal?Sumup?
Wont be something i would use often but saves that bank will only let me take £300 etc or ive no cash on me.
I got Zettle this year mate 2% fee on transactions though but I like it

IZettle? PayPal?Sumup?

Just get them to bank transfer mate it is 2017 after all, a lot can do it on their phone instantly, the under 35's anyway of which sadly I'm not anymore:(

IZettle? PayPal?Sumup?

As @gps said, use BACS, it's free and instant. I reckon 95% of my invoices are paid that way now.

As for the late payment excuses, surely your terms and conditions cover that? :whistle:

Babk transfer is fine but lets be honest sometimes payment needs sorting straight away I ain't waiting some times it's pay right now rather than let's wait and see

Babk transfer is fine but lets be honest sometimes payment needs sorting straight away I ain't waiting some times it's pay right now rather than let's wait and see

And bank transfer is instant, you don't get anymore straight away than that.

Payment terms should be addressed before work commences as you know.

Yeah i use bank transfer but its a bit faffy giving your sort code and ac no , always paranoid your gonna get it wrong or they f**k it up and put it in wrong.
Dead handy for regular payments , most builders pay me that way.
Think IZettle at £25 is the one , i imagine it will be rarely used , more to offer it and hope they pay cash :)

Ah yeah no bother with payment , just to offer the service.

Yeah i use bank transfer but its a bit faffy giving your sort code and ac no , always paranoid your gonna get it wrong or they f**k it up and put it in wrong.
Dead handy for regular payments , most builders pay me that way.
Think IZettle at £25 is the one , i imagine it will be rarely used , more to offer it and hope they pay cash :)

Ah yeah no bother with payment , just to offer the service.
Agree mate that is why I got one every customer I do know it's payment before I leave to go home got fed up waiting and checking to see if people have paid or not then having to phone to remind them to pay just waste my leisure time , most of the time people are at work then they forget to transfer and tbh it just wound me up fannying around

Most pay on time, if you can't wait a few days or a week for payment then you shouldn't really be self employed

In the four years I've been self employed Ive never waited more than a week for my coin on domestics..BACS, cash,.
..in saying that I've been waiting 3 weeks for a payment for a job I done,but that was agreed before hand..
You need to find better customers @Vincey :sisi:

In the four years I've been self employed Ive never waited more than a week for my coin on domestics..BACS, cash,.
..in saying that I've been waiting 3 weeks for a payment for a job I done,but that was agreed before hand..
You need to find better customers @Vincey :sisi:
Yo listen when jobs done , you pay that's it, even if I worked for the Queen

Type what ever glorious to read things you want @gps I got bills to pay and ain't an interest free pay when you feel like it bank

There's no excuse to not pay me as soon as the jobs done.
Even a bank transfer should be done that very day.
What excuse is there?

Yo listen when jobs done , you pay that's it, even if I worked for the Queen

Type what ever glorious to read things you want @gps I got bills to pay and ain't an interest free pay when you feel like it bank
Comes across a bit desperate?... Pay me as soon as tools in the van..:endesacuerdo:...
What if the customer is at work or on holiday etc?..paid before you start?

Comes across a bit desperate?... Pay me as soon as tools in the van..:endesacuerdo:...
What if the customer is at work or on holiday etc?..paid before you start?
IMG_4005.PNG

If you can't pay your bills based on one job paying 5 days late, then you shouldn't be in business.

If you can't pay your bills based on one job paying 5 days late, then you shouldn't be in business.
So have been paid off every job you done upto today?

Cash cheque or you'll pay the 2% charge, job done pal

So have been paid off every job you done upto today?

Cash cheque or you'll pay the 2% charge, job done pal

No I'm owed, mainly from companies though.

When I leave a job, I leave it in the knowledge there is no reason not to pay, no need for a gimmick of guarantees. It's all about trust my friend, usually bybthe time I finish a job I have built a very good relationship with the client especially if female.

looks more embarrassing for the client I think having to be asked all the time!just pay the f**k**g bill when the jobs done!
Would you walk into a pub and say I'll pay you two days after I've eaten meal?

Some good points but ive been coming up against this a few times.
My take on it is that the people do it run their own business , they are used to being invoiced and then paying at a set date each month , IE you might finish a job on the monday of the first week of March but they dont pay till the Friday on the 3rd week or something daft.
Its maybe how their industry gets paid so they think we are the same.
TBH i dont mind if its only up to a week , ive found all these companies pay via BACS and i know ill always get the money albeit up to a month later. Get sore fingers checking the bank balance all the time when waiting on a big one :)
Think its hard to get used to.
In a perfect world , you have someone asking you for a chat as your on the final trowel and hanging you a donkey choker with score on top for a few pints for the great job you did but i think those days are long gone , people are too used to electronic transfers and monthly pay and think all industries the same.

If you are desperate for the money, before starting you state payment is on completion before you leave job site.

Very simple

I make it quite clear I want paying on completion and they are satisfied with the job and cleaning/clearing away.
I don't expect to be wasting anytime waiting or going back unless there is an issue with the above.

I went to quote on some work and the man said if I did a good price he would throw in a meal at his restaurant. Quite a few other ask what would the price be for cash? Another person asked if I wanted some guinea pigs because the kids had become bored and did not play anymore.

But I am like GPS because a lot of customers become friends as well. Only yesterday I was given a box of onions from a next door neighbour of the property I was working at. At the same property an old couple stopped and asked if they could take a look inside - it is an empty property - that she was born there and lived their in the fifties. I was concerned but let them and she even took away a piece of the garden shed as a reminder. Half an hour later she came back and gave me a packet of biscuits and asked for my card as their daughter wanted a plasterer.

But I am like GPS because a lot of customers become friends as well. Only yesterday I was given a box of onions from a next door neighbour of the property I was working at. At the same property an old couple stopped and asked if they could take a look inside - it is an empty property - that she was born there and lived their in the fifties. I was concerned but let them and she even took away a piece of the garden shed as a reminder. Half an hour later she came back and gave me a packet of biscuits and asked for my card as their daughter wanted a plasterer.
How you gonna explain the shed roof missing ?? Give them a biscuit:sorprendido3:

About the card payments I had and still have a WorldPay Zinc but I do not use it. I found people were wary of it in case you were secretly scanning their details like in I****n Restaurants and Petrol Stations. I never use it now. A waste of money. Also do not offer PayPal as a customer can ask PayPal for a refund upto ninety days after the transaction on the basis that they say they did not authorise the card and PayPal have no alternative but to refund the monies. Beware of that scam.

You say BACS is instant but it's only as quick as the person paying it.
You can invoice them and they may not pay for 3+ days,
So it's no quicker than a card payment in that sense.
If you take the card payment when done it will be cleared in 3 days.
I've been thinking about card payments lately but only via a virtual terminal. People love card in this day and age and giving them the option I think benefits both me and them. If they pay with a credit card they have cover that's why they like it.
All fees are paid by the customer if they want to do it.

I get why people like Vince want it on completion that's fair enough, nothing wrong with being paid when your finished.
My terms and conditions state either payment within 7 days or staged payments on bigger jobs.

Don't forget a lot of us are just normal tradesman trying to earn a living, not all of us know how to actually run a business or have business minds.
It's been a massive learning curve for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trillionaire banks wouldnt lend you £10 without a credit check...why should any self employed lad offer credit which is effectively what it is..

90% of the time no one is around when I finish so whom is paying straight away ?

If you can't wait a few days then people shouldn't be trading

Tbf we all deal with different customers, I do direct to property owner all the company crap can do one, I ain't bothered, that's why I insist on payment when I done with the zettle I can take debit and credit card payment there and then
IMG_4328.PNG
IMG_4327.jpg
IMG_4326.jpg