carbon steel

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 14x4 carbon and it is lovely to use. Bit of a pain putting ceilings on so I ended up using my ss cus it's wider. Must get the carbon out tomorrow and give it a little tlc. Might even show it a bit of plastering

I suppose why carbon trowels maybe not the plasterers choice and don't want to keeping going into the past but we do not do sand and cement rendering on new builds anymore. When we use to use to be rendering at least a couple days a week this would really keep your carbon trowel really clean.

I've got a 14x4 carbon and it is lovely to use. Bit of a pain putting ceilings on so I ended up using my ss cus it's wider. Must get the carbon out tomorrow and give it a little tlc. Might even show it a bit of plastering

your so s**t

i got taught with steel so im obviously bias, but i always found a stainless trowel feels a lot more clumsy and heavy, harder to put on with and not as sharp.

I suppose why carbon trowels maybe not the plasterers choice and don't want to keeping going into the past but we do not do sand and cement rendering on new builds anymore. When we use to use to be rendering at least a couple days a week this would really keep your carbon trowel really clean.

true but i dont find the rust a problem personally. your rendering trowel will get a bit rusty if it doesnt get used for a while, but it soon cleans up after a couple of walls. skimming trowel gets used often enough to keep it fairly rust free.

for example i used my skimming trowel on friday for the first time in at least a month. was a bit rusty so just went outside and gently rubbed it on the patio slab. good as new in 30 seconds...

I can't understand why rust would be a problem for a carbon trowel, it takes literally a minute to wipe it dry and spray with a bit of wd40 at the end of the day. Just keep it wiped clean if you're having a brew etc. If you can't be arsed to do that with the one tool that mainly earns your living for you then you need a career change to a sparky or something, coz they're bone idle.

The only reason I mainly use permashape is all other trowels seem to go out of shape too easy

Same as any trowel really, the shape of them can be a bit extreme and you end up chasing trowel lines, will never bend the wrong way though

Whats the difference between a permashape and a normal trowel then? What makes them keep shape better?

Been useing my 11 " carbon all day today and it does give a better finish then SS me thinks.

i actually found a carbon steel at the bottom of my bag today gave it a bit of tlc and gave it ago but i think (cos i havent looked at it properly) it might be bent the wrong way but accross the blade somehow cos it kept snatching onto the wall it was like my first time at plastering again haha

when you say a tap are we talking a loving tap or hold it tight and give it a bit of a bang (but only a bit)

I never use my carbon skimming trowel for S&C, but do use a cheap Ragni steel trowel for all my backing coat and external rendering work.

Likewise Andy.......a black-handled Ragni, an old dog lent me it and I 'forgot' to give him it back :RpS_thumbup:

i sat there for a while today with an oil stone some sand paper and a tin of wd40 cleaning my one up today andy but i think more work is needed still before i let it loose on finish

I was told when a Trowel was out of shape to sit the toe on a piece of plasterboard. Place a small bit of lath on the top of the rivets wherever the bend is and hit the lath rather than the actual trowel

never used a plazzie trowel gibbo, I have 3 black rags I like them good work horse.

i sat there for a while today with an oil stone some sand paper and a tin of wd40 cleaning my one up today andy but i think more work is needed still before i let it loose on finish

I spent less than ten minutes with my oil stone before letting my current carbon loose on the skim with no problems.

mines been sitting in the bottom of a bag for years haha its a bit worse for wear haha the blades cleaned up nicley just need to sort the shape out mate it keeps snatching the wall

My ss marshalltown gold came today but the handle is red and black and not red and gold like my other ones. The blade looks a bit darker like the gold one does, is this normal or have i been sent wrong one?

My ss marshalltown gold came today but the handle is red and black and not red and gold like my other ones. The blade looks a bit darker like the gold one does, is this normal or have i been sent wrong one?

Sounds like a wrongun

Status
Not open for further replies.