Can I skim it?

Like2try

Hey all, hopefully I’m in the right place, I’ve just signed up so shout at me if I’m posting in the wrong place.

I’m self taught using multifinish plaster and have learnt many hard mistakes plastering over certain surfaces. It’s my house so it’s nothing but a pain if I get it wrong but I’ve just got to the ceilings and torn between dry lining it or just going for a skim.

So I know all loose paint needs removing etc… but what exactly constitutes as loose? Where the old plaster has cracked along the plasterboard joins, it’s cracked the paint. With a sharp scraper it flakes off and then stops so I’m assuming the majority of the paint is in tact and fine. My thoughts are to PVA the joints and tape over to hopefully avoid future cracks. Does this sound feasible or am I going to make a big mistake and see my ceiling on the floor

Attachments

• AEF06FDE-F3DB-4F33-8A09-25CECA3A228A.jpeg
    AEF06FDE-F3DB-4F33-8A09-25CECA3A228A.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 174
Hey all, hopefully I’m in the right place, I’ve just signed up so shout at me if I’m posting in the wrong place.

I’m self taught using multifinish plaster and have learnt many hard mistakes plastering over certain surfaces. It’s my house so it’s nothing but a pain if I get it wrong but I’ve just got to the ceilings and torn between dry lining it or just going for a skim.

So I know all loose paint needs removing etc… but what exactly constitutes as loose? Where the old plaster has cracked along the plasterboard joins, it’s cracked the paint. With a sharp scraper it flakes off and then stops so I’m assuming the majority of the paint is in tact and fine. My thoughts are to PVA the joints and tape over to hopefully avoid future cracks. Does this sound feasible or am I going to make a big mistake and see my ceiling on the floor
Go for it and don’t forget to upload pictures of the finished job. (y)

Pay a plasterer. Why would you want to look at a crap ceiling for the rest of the time you live there to save a couple of hundred quid a ceiling?

Plastering makes or breaks a room. You're about to break it

Pay a plasterer. Why would you want to look at a crap ceiling for the rest of the time you live there to save a couple of hundred quid a ceiling?
Plastering makes or breaks a room. You're about to break it
Nice one, didn’t even think of that.

When u plaster your ceiling and it looks naff you will be going over it again no doubt to correct it but this time u have no chance in hell as the new plaster is going to suck like Philip schofield in a room full of young male interns leaving u zero time to get it even flat just pay a plasterer ceilings are different kettle of fish

When u plaster your ceiling and it looks naff you will be going over it again no doubt to correct it but this time u have no chance in hell as the new plaster is going to suck like Philip schofield in a room full of young male interns leaving u zero time to get it even flat just pay a plasterer ceilings are different kettle of fish
You seem to know far too much about Philip Schofield for my liking.

I’m glad it’s only words you’re trying to put in my mouth, and nothing else.
Worst you can do is @Casper yourself and nobody will be away in a sports van to m&s with your hard earned cash in his pocket if you do.

May as well give it a try.

Seen this by the way?

Worst you can do is @Casper yourself and nobody will be away in a sports van to m&s with your hard earned cash in his pocket if you do.

May as well give it a try.

Seen this by the way?

I quite literally haven’t got the foggiest idea what you are talking about. Are you okay?…

I’m glad it’s only words you’re trying to put in my mouth, and nothing else.
see like2try, you are straight into the sarcasim and humour straight away,
all you need now is jessica, she will be along shortly
ask her for a game of chess