brush v sponge =Sponge is king

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just done a set and tried to use a sponge to finish it .it has turned out a right mess there is cream and jam all over the place and the customer is not very happy :RpS_cursing:. wont be trying that again .

Hi..
I am also a plasterer.After seeing your post I used sponge for plastering.It really works.The sponge float gives a Perfect finish and it makes the work so easier.Thank You for this suggestion.:)

i dont get big areas to use the sponge on but when i do use it it turns out bang on and lets me get the job done tonnes quicker so i likes it:RpS_biggrin:
just one thing to ask the other spongers,, when you go over the wall with the sponge do you have bucket with a drop of water in it so every now and then you can wet the sponge up and get rid of the s**t thats built up on it to enable you to carry on sponging the rest of wall
hope you can understand what im saying

ps do you sponge ceilings? it wets you through :RpS_mad:

how does using a sponge make it faster when finish sets it sets.sponge or not av worked with lots of spreads that use the sponge in am out my room 15 minites faster using a brush.

i dont get big areas to use the sponge on but when i do use it it turns out bang on and lets me get the job done tonnes quicker so i likes it:RpS_biggrin:
just one thing to ask the other spongers,, when you go over the wall with the sponge do you have bucket with a drop of water in it so every now and then you can wet the sponge up and get rid of the s**t thats built up on it to enable you to carry on sponging the rest of wall

I spray my walls very lightly with water first so they are wettish anyway. Seems to work a treat!

For ceilings i bought a sponge mop on a stick from asda.....

i normally scrap the sponge on the side of the water pale to scrap off the excess glut in the sponge. i do it when the sponge starts to drag when your rubbing up. not sure how other lads clean the sponge at the end of the set but i use my trowel and it tends to start pulling the sponge off the plastic base but its the only way i know to stop you getting the little dry balls on skimming out.

I spray my walls very lightly with water first so they are wettish anyway. Seems to work a treat!

For ceilings i bought a sponge mop on a stick from asda.....
seriously ??

i normally scrap the sponge on the side of the water pale to scrap off the excess glut in the sponge. i do it when the sponge starts to drag when your rubbing up. not sure how other lads clean the sponge at the end of the set but i use my trowel and it tends to start pulling the sponge off the plastic base but its the only way i know to stop you getting the little dry balls on skimming out.

water pale :RpS_scared:

i clean mine by massaging it with my hand preferably under running water, bit like what i do in the shower:RpS_wink:

seriously ??

water pale :RpS_scared:

i clean mine by massaging it with my hand preferably under running water, bit like what i do in the shower:RpS_wink:

so you arouse your sponge to release the balls............:RpS_scared:

Ha ha seriously!

A mate watched me try it for the first time yesterday...he's buyin a sponge now....

I shock myself at how amateur that sounds, but I really am fed up of climbing up steps/platforms...

I,ve been plastering since 1974, and i,ve seen sponge finished ceilings on sites lately with the scrim tape showing through, because only one coat of plaster has been applied, i believe in 2 coats & properly trowel finish is best. Hi, lads i,m new to forum been about a long time, never been out of work.

Hey pll, Iv'e Always used a Brush used to just use a squirter bottle but a good paste brush i use now had it a while gets rid of all the hollows before 2 flatting sessions

May try the sponge on day but for now if its not broke....

I,ve been plastering since 1974, and i,ve seen sponge finished ceilings on sites lately with the scrim tape showing through, because only one coat of plaster has been applied, i believe in 2 coats & properly trowel finish is best. Hi, lads i,m new to forum been about a long time, never been out of work.

good man :RpS_wink:

ye then half fill the bucket with water then add the multi and just before all the lumps are gone sh!t in it:RpS_cool:

can also be s**t boarding or not putting you're scrim up properly

Why use a sponge anyway, just one coat & trowel as normal.
Go over tapes & beads first then just put it on a bit thicker.
That's what I was told by a top class Sicilian spread!! :RpS_biggrin:

:RpS_thumbup:

Sponging just wastes more time you daywork fcukers :flapper:

daywork f**k**s lol what are you on a Metre rate for patching holes in you're mates bathroom

I did some one coat sponging yesterday, turned out alright. It's all about hitting it at the right time after the sponge I reckon.

ive done loads of it now and as danny says hit it at the right time and its pukka if youve seen shite sponge work in the past then youve seen someone trying to get them selfs out of trouble not someone who knows what thier doing and how to do it

Dunno if I did it the way others do.

One thick coat, let it pick up and flatten with steel. Leave it pick up again and sponge. Another 5/10 mins and plazzi it. Brush angles and plazzi to finish.

Does that sound right?

Filled real nice with the plastic and the sponge made it flat so no need to change the shape of the finish too much. Does that make sense?

I checked the wall today and there weren't any unwanted shapes in it.

Edit: I used a steel for the initial flatten before the sponge.

I don't use it on boardwork, but on reskims I spread as normal, and when its time for the wet trowel, I sponge it the immediately hit it with the 600 spat.

Plazzy for a quick polish after. Feckin BEAUTIFUL.

Status
Not open for further replies.