Bonding or Hardwall

Status
Not open for further replies.
May not be popular with some on here but last few celcon skins I've sbr50/50 then scratched n floated S&C before skimming no problem ! It was tiled for shower after and for units on others, I prefer them on solid background where possible. No cracks maybe just lucky aye ?

May not be popular with some on here but last few celcon skins I've sbr50/50 then scratched n floated S&C before skimming no problem ! It was tiled for shower after and for units on others, I prefer them on solid background where possible. No cracks maybe just lucky aye ?
To be fair think the guy who posted thread was a bit unsure cuz his builder said bonding coat and plasterer said hardwall,
Know I would just listen to whatever plasterer said he wants to do.
Plasterers plaster.
Builders build.
Electricians do electrics.
Plumbers plumb.
Painters paint.

Dot and dab all day long use duraline boards if you want toughness of backing coat..if ur hardwall n skim u shud be able to paint it in 2018(y)..if ur builder has suggested backing coat I hope he's cleaned his snots off the wall aswell as the bastards never do

What's reason u dnt like dot and dab Adrian?

I like things to be totally solid. I bought a new build about 15 years ago and when I moved I promised myself never to buy a house that had walls that were plasterboard.

I never hung anything up on my new build. I hated it.

I just prefer totally solid walls.

Thank you for asking though.

I like things to be totally solid. I bought a new build about 15 years ago and when I moved I promised myself never to buy a house that had walls that were plasterboard.

Ye but If you get duraline boards and tell them to solid band the walls and put loads of dots in between it will be solid as f**k..or and never ever buy a new build trust me

What's reason u dnt like dot and dab Adrian?
Bet there are a lot of homeowners with 18inches of floodwater in ground floor wish they didn't have dot and dab, two coat C&S internal about to come back in a big way I reckon, could be a good thread in it actually."
I'm not customising. I've just been told of two options and want sure which to go for. Now I've got three options.

Sent from my HUAWEI G6-L11 using Tapatalk

Bet there are a lot of homeowners with 18inches of floodwater in ground floor wish they didn't have dot and dab, two coat C&S internal about to come back in a big way I reckon, could be a good thread in it actually."

Nah dot and dab is king it always will be now and if your house was flooded with That dirty water etc ud still need to hack it off anyway and start again as s**t wud still get into the backing coat

P
Float and set is best. The only reason you see dot and dab on new builds is because its quick and requires less skill so it's cheap.
Aying same around me pug which is stupid got offered £6m2 float n set 500m2 and he pays £6 dot dab and skim

Hi Adrian now we have all gave you some great advice from all over the country any chance you could take 3 or 4 photos and upload them for us all to see the job.?
Thanks Vince

Hi Adrian now we have all gave you some great advice from all over the country any chance you could take 3 or 4 photos and upload them for us all to see the job.?
Thanks Vince
I bet walls are a mile out,sockets mounted on walls and pipes not chase in and still needs floating or and snots every where

Ca
2 men can stil easy do £300+ on £6m2 but I agree its s**t like

Seems odd to be paying the same rate though. I've got a mate who can board a 3 bedroom house in as many days on his tod. Get a couple of skimmers following him and you'd be quids in.

I bet walls are a mile out,sockets mounted on walls and pipes not chase in and still needs floating or and snots every where
That's why it would be good to see photos if he wants strength he could go for habito
Twitterdd84dee.jpg

Twitterdb67f10.jpg

Seems odd to be paying the same rate though. I've got a mate who can board a 3 bedroom house in as many days on his tod. Get a couple of skimmers following him and you'd be quids in.
I know its odd its stupid..shud be at least £7 u can make major dosh on £7m2 floating I was doing it pre crash on that and was doing £300 a day with just a labourer mixing on me just needs to go up that little more

I'm not customising. I've just been told of two options and want sure which to go for. Now I've got three options.

not in your case, I agree! We all had these customers trying to cut corners , but all they do is cutting short to disaster.

With a lot of building materials and techniques familiarity and confidence are more of an issue than standards. Personally on a new build/extension I don't see that there is a better or worse choice between float and set or dabbed boards. That said, if the inner leaf is thermalite block then I would go for dabbed board as no matter what you put onto thermalites it's never going to be a 'solid' wall in the true sense.

That leads on to the subject of money. If your preference is for a solid construction then the inner leaf should be 7n blocks or brick. The thermal loss issue then has to be mitigated by thicker or higher grade insulation which can require a larger cavity with the associated wider footing. All of which makes for a more expensive construction method that needs to be discussed and quoted for before the first shovel is put in the ground.

With a lot of building materials and techniques familiarity and confidence are more of an issue than standards. Personally on a new build/extension I don't see that there is a better or worse choice between float and set or dabbed boards. That said, if the inner leaf is thermalite block then I would go for dabbed board as no matter what you put onto thermalites it's never going to be a 'solid' wall in the true sense.

That leads on to the subject of money. If your preference is for a solid construction then the inner leaf should be 7n blocks or brick. The thermal loss issue then has to be mitigated by thicker or higher grade insulation which can require a larger cavity with the associated wider footing. All of which makes for a more expensive construction method that needs to be discussed and quoted for before the first shovel is put in the ground.
Nicely put ...so @Adrianwingate can you post pictures so this can be assessed.
Gosh I can't wait to get back to work.

Nah dot and dab is king it always will be now and if your house was flooded with That dirty water etc ud still need to hack it off anyway and start again as s**t wud still get into the backing

Surely in the flooded areas using s and c is better with the additives in it probably best tanking all first floor up to a metre or so

I think the government needs to sort defence systems out 1st instead of giving all our money to India and Pakistan etc

Two coats of S&C comes up lovely internal, in flood prone builds keep sockets up three feet and a good quality external paint, try fibre glass apron with cement board + 2coat S&C on ground floor partitions, only issue I see is that insurers will pay to replace but not to upgrade, in present flooding event this needs looking at by insurance ombudsman.

Two coats of S&C comes up lovely internal, in flood prone builds keep sockets up three feet and a good quality external paint, try fibre glass apron with cement board + 2coat S&C on ground floor partitions, only issue I see is that insurers will pay to replace but not to upgrade, in present flooding event this needs looking at by insurance ombudsman.

the insurance cos. have no say in the matter. they hand the problem over to lose adjusters who inturn hand the building work over to structural engineers as the work has got to be completed to a decent spec and standard.

the insurance cos. have no say in the matter. they hand the problem over to lose adjusters who inturn hand the building work over to structural engineers as the work has got to be completed to a decent spec and standard.
The insurance companies I have sent quotations to directly will only cover like for like compensation.

Where quality is wanted S&C scratch float and skim internally, scratch and float or dash externally.
If quicker but cheaper wanted dot n dab n skim internally and mono externally .
Depends what customer is willing to pay for , quality or cheaper but quicker ?

Where quality is wanted S&C scratch float and skim internally, scratch and float or dash externally.
If quicker but cheaper wanted dot n dab n skim internally and mono externally .
Depends what customer is willing to pay for , quality or cheaper but quicker ?
If sand cement is mixed and installed correctly it's good externally application of stress patches is a must , thing is house are thrown up now got no allowance for movement etc so can crack after a few years .

Never seen sand cement with mesh don't know if anyone else has used it ?

I Only used it on lath backing where it was needed , never with roll mesh / matting used with mono backing coats .

If sand cement is mixed and installed correctly it's good externally application of stress patches is a must , thing is house are thrown up now got no allowance for movement etc so can crack after a few years .

Never seen sand cement with mesh don't know if anyone else has used it ?
We've used rolled mesh on s&c on refurb renders where its ok brick and previous been hacked off..sbr walls 1st then scratched and meshed with plain face finish..makes it solid as a rock

Status
Not open for further replies.