blown plaster

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pug

went to look at a job today, 20yr old house, quality build lookin at the outside.... inside EVERY SINGLE WALL was blown. you could pull the finish and base coat off in lumps back to the breeze block. any ideas why this might of happened? got the job but am now worried the same will happen to my work, i thought i'd give the walls a coat of pva but i don't normally like to prior to hardwalling. customer doesn't want to dot an dab.

any other suggestions lads?

are they thermalites or concrete mate? if theyre thermalites a coat of pva is a good idea... you know what they suck like...
could just be that the waters gone out of the mix to quick and it aint stuck..

Is it the original plaster thats blown?
I assume you're going to take it right back.
I tend to throw water at it and see how fast it disappears.
If its dead quick then yeah pva it b4 hardwall.
Done it b4 no probs.
Original plaster could have blown for a multitude of reasons.
Not necessarily all bad

God knows what happened ther lad could of been a no of things. Are you getting the wall all chipped back to the bare blocks? if so slight wetting prior to s+c should be ok!

cheers boys, i wondered if it had dried to fast. they're light weight concrete throughout, horrible black things, we used to call em clinker blocks down here. gonna hit 1 room a month, customer taking it back to block work.

went to pick my mate up on another job at the end of the day. he was backing cinder block with browning
has i pulled up he was walking out with big sheets of browning that had blown from the day before :(
we ended up giving them a tight coat of bonding with pva mixed in

went to look at a job today, 20yr old house, quality build lookin at the outside.... inside EVERY SINGLE WALL was blown. you could pull the finish and base coat off in lumps back to the breeze block. any ideas why this might of happened? got the job but am now worried the same will happen to my work, i thought  i'd give the walls a coat of pva but i don't normally like to prior to hardwalling.  customer doesn't want to dot an dab.

any other suggestions lads?

don't know if it will help but british gypsm do product called gyp-prime. helps with high suction backgrounds (thermolites).their pva. its in a red tub and is yellow in application.. only for gypsum based plaster. not s+c. don't suppose you'd want to d+d it..

hi markone,

did give it the pva/bonding coat the day before or go over it with hardwall same day?

If the blocks are what I think I've dealt with them before.
They're noty like Thermalite or breeze blocks. Kind of rougher make up and actually less suction.
I did 3/1 PVA and went straight on tacky with hardwall them skimmed same day.

It's still there as far as I know. :)

If the blocks are what I think I've dealt with them before.
They're noty like Thermalite or breeze blocks. Kind of rougher make up and actually less suction.
I did 3/1 PVA and went straight on tacky with hardwall them skimmed same day.

It's still there as far as I know. :)

these blocks are horrible, imagine black rice crispy cakes! worked with em a few times when i was on the hod, went home lookin i'd bin down t'pit!

cheers for all your help boys! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.