Bigger trowels and Hawk

JackSTPMcGrath

Hi guys, I've been plastering for probably about 6 months for my uncle, just about to start a big job, 3 and a half metre High ceilings and 10 metre long walls etc... Does anyone spread using 16" or even 20" trowel coupled with a bigger Hawk of a similar size? Anyone actually find its quicker than the standard 13"?

Hi guys, I've been plastering for probably about 6 months for my uncle, just about to start a big job, 3 and a half metre High ceilings and 10 metre long walls etc... Does anyone spread using 16" or even 20" trowel coupled with a bigger Hawk of a similar size? Anyone actually find its quicker than the standard 13"?

i use 18" trowels for skimming on price.....16" for floating or render.
just use a standard size hawk.
even the 18" seems like a toy now.
ive just started with a spat but i think more hassle to be honest.
only because im house bashing.
scottie5 uses spats/speeds....with top quality and speed.
so does marshy.

3.5 high is gonna slow you down whatever you use mate.

It is not the size but what you do with it that counts. Good hand eye coordination is crucial.

I had my "HANDBOARD" specialy made by my brother in law. It's 16"square T6 aircraft aluminium had it 10 year now hardly worn despite using lots of sand/cement. It's light but very strong. As for trowels normally 16" MT for pretty much everything or get the 18" out if on nice flat board work. Doesn't make much difference altho using a 13" HANDBOARD feels like a toy and can't get enough gear on it

Most of the men I have worked with all use 13/14inch trowels ,myself included. Have only seen a couple men over the years use bigger trowels. I'm in a squad of 6 atm and I think I'm the only one has a 14inch trowel for skimming. Bound to be a ball ache trying to break in a 18 inch trowel is it not?

Most of the men I have worked with all use 13/14inch trowels ,myself included. Have only seen a couple men over the years use bigger trowels. I'm in a squad of 6 atm and I think I'm the only one has a 14inch trowel for skimming. Bound to be a ball ache trying to break in a 18 inch trowel is it not?

gang of 6 for skimming !!!
id find it hard trying to break the lads in not the trowel !!!!

Floating, skimming and outsides,maybe on different jobs too, lol not usually all in at once unless trying to wipe out a house lol

On boardwork I use to use a 16 and a bigger hawk/handboard but mostly used a 13 inch marshalltown :D

Ive just measured Kez my handhawk who was roosting in the airing cupboard.
He's 13.2"x 13.4 and a quarter"-ish.

Screenshot_2017-04-13-12-13-10.png

Mate I'm no billy big balls but I have proof that it's absolute waste of time and energy going any bigger than a 13 inch , that's what I put on with, anyone says they can put on more gear with the same hawk size as me is full of s**t

I can put more on than vince using a same size Hawkboard ...:).....

...but my workwear ain't ironed.o_O

Mate I'm no billy big balls but I have proof that it's absolute waste of time and energy going any bigger than a 13 inch , that's what I put on with, anyone says they can put on more gear with the same hawk size as me is full of s**t
What if they spread it on with there hand hawk and not a trowel ;)

Take gear off a hawk with a 20 inch or bigger is just daft imo as the gear isn't spread 20 inch on the wall I've tried it , might as well just stick to 13 inch by the time a 20 incher has spread 20 a 13 has spread 26 inches , even if they have 10 hawks mate.

I see a guy use the hawk to put on hardwall, proper weird lol.

Use 14 for everything but on decent boardwork been using 18 x 4 3/4 mt until final passes. Really really like it.

Take gear off a hawk with a 20 inch or bigger is just daft imo as the gear isn't spread 20 inch on the wall I've tried it , might as well just stick to 13 inch by the time a 20 incher has spread 20 a 13 has spread 26 inches , even if they have 10 hawks mate.

I think your talking b*ll***s lol. Agreed you don't hold more on a trowel but it does go on flatter with a bit of practice. Maybe your just used to small tools :)

I was working with a guy who had a silly little 11 inch trowel and I was waving around my 16inch Excalibur. Put a lot more gear on the wall a lot quicker.
Most guys use 13 or 14 inch. 14 is my preferred choice now, as 13 is nice for skimming but find it too small for rendering.

Sounds like a challenge to me?? I don't mind taking you to school Mr Clarke (y) and I don't rate myself as "fast" but some others do? Big difference in being fast and tidy and clean than slopping it everywhere and being caked in it:banda:

I wouldn't no I put on with a golf club and a T.

I see a guy use the hawk to put on hardwall, proper weird lol.

Use 14 for everything but on decent boardwork been using 18 x 4 3/4 mt until final passes. Really really like it.
Iv seen it done in turkey they where s/c rendering putting on with a gauging trowel and hawk at the same time looked very awkward.

Using between 3 13s atm.an old 13x5 for floating, though using a 13nela now to break it in. And a 13x5 for skimming. Have a 14 4 3/4 use for dash receiver or will be used to flatten mono next job we on that uses it.

I started with a 12x5 years ago. Switched to 14x4.5 about a year in and that's become my go to size ever since. (sometimes 14x5) I've tried 16x5 from time to time but the 2 extra inches didn't really seem to help much and tends to get in the way more than anything because you still have to go around pipes, outlets, switches etc. If I had miles of open wall with only a few obstructions I'd still pull out the 16, I still carry it in my bag, but the gain is marginal imo and the 14 seems to hit the sweet spot of size and maneuverability at least for interior. For stucco (aka render) a 16 might make more sense but I doubt you're saving time with it. Use it if it's more comfortable for you.