Beginning to realise how hard this game is !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soz pal just sounded like a courser..get ursen out in the real world ring around dnt sit around fcking about with cards and leaflets etc..

Eh no worries pal. Don't get me wrong a lot of the college side was b*ll***s (plaster of paris mouldings seriously?) And when on site it bordered on slavery but can defo say am at least qualified

Eh no worries pal. Don't get me wrong a lot of the college side was b*ll***s (plaster of paris mouldings seriously?) And when on site it bordered on slavery but can defo say am at least qualified
Ye I did level 1,2,3 city and guilds but sshh dnt tell flynny he thinks I'm lying

Ye I did level 1,2,3 city and guilds but sshh dnt tell flynny he thinks I'm lying
Im looking forward to my 6 week course....ill never end up plastering anyway, fitted 8 panels of fencing friday afternoon, concrete posts and plinths and just started a kitchen re fit yesterday (got to be done for 18th so they can decorate and show off at xmas then and got two more, a bathroom re fit and a full downstairs solid wood flooring booked after the course in Feb.....maybe ill come unstuck but done work on the side for years so get the game and never had many comebacks so far.....is a chancer still a chancer if hes up to the job?

Im looking forward to my 6 week course....ill never end up plastering anyway, fitted 8 panels of fencing friday afternoon, concrete posts and plinths and just started a kitchen re fit yesterday (got to be done for 18th so they can decorate and show off at xmas then and got two more, a bathroom re fit and a full downstairs solid wood flooring booked after the course in Feb.....maybe ill come unstuck but done work on the side for years so get the game and never had many comebacks so far.....is a chancer still a chancer if hes up to the job?
A chance will always be a chance lodan (y)(y)

lodan, dont worry. you dont have to justify yourself to anybody on here. fcuk them. take what you can from the forum but don't let it demoralize you. remember, if some c**t gets you down and slags you off its only an idea in their head. it's not what you are. they dont know you. why let some jumped up c**t get you down ? would they they let you get them down? fcuk them

lodan, dont worry. you dont have to justify yourself to anybody on here. fcuk them. take what you can from the forum but don't let it demoralize you. remember, if some c**t gets you down and slags you off its only an idea in their head. it's not what you are. they dont know you. why let some jumped up c**t get you down ? would they they let you get them down? fcuk them
Now that is a serious lesson in possitive thinking....much respect Jurek :birra:

Hmmm , been flat out with my other jobs and the plastering is over till Feb next year.
Was thinking of going FT at it but not so sure reading all this.
Things are picking up? Building all over the place in Northern Ireland.
My idea was to go subbie again for a few months and get back into the commercial work again , past ten years been 2 bag domestics so ive a bit of catching up to do and about 4 stone to take off the belly what with all the tea and biccies.
Only getting 2 weeks a month filled on domestic so thinking subbie on a commercial site or refurbs get me a few months of full weeks.

Maybe im dreaming here but im quite looking forward to it , reckon it will be easy enough after a week or two , no labouring or feck all , just on the tools and no running around pricing jobs and all that.
Few lads to have a bit of craic with and a donkey choker in the hand every Friday.
Yep this is the plan for Feb next year , bit warmer and the mornings brighter , get a run through to late Autumn then scurry back to the doms.

Maybe im dreaming here but im quite looking forward to it , reckon it will be easy enough after a week or two , no labouring or feck all , just on the tools and no running around pricing jobs and all that.
Few lads to have a bit of craic with and a donkey choker in the hand every Friday.
Yep this is the plan for Feb next year , bit warmer and the mornings brighter , get a run through to late Autumn then scurry back to the doms.

Eh good luck to ya pal. Hope the thread doesn't put you off I just wish I was in same boat. But as said by other members earlier in the thread without money for proper advertising I'm gonna find it very hard to make a go of it.

Field of dreams this isn't. What did I expect? To wake up one morning with a crowd of people at my door just wondering if I was a plasterer?

Anyway good luck to ya pal. Quick questions 1. What other jobs do you do? 2. Whats a donkey choker?

Plasterman any more disagrees cumin my way :lol:
Agreed with alot you said but not that you can't make it pay on domestic.there are all different ways plasterer can make money it's what suits them.You seem to have done well from your site work and are busy which is good..on domestic its a different way but can be fruitful and working hours can be determined by yourself.Even just working patching up bits can earn more than alot of normal jobs.if the dude is determined enough he will make it work.Imo he should try everything he can to get his name out there CUs no one is going to do it for him.
Meant to say the other day
No offence meant kitchy

Non taken plasterman was only messing,u can make loads on domestics I agree there can make a weeks pay sum times in a couple days I ment its hard to keep going full Tim on domestic work that's all pal,anything I say on here is mostly banter but some people (not you) jump down ur throat wen make a comment I'm mainly on here to find plasterers but enjoy getting involved in the threads etc..just makes me laugh sum times

Domestic is very satisfying I find, I been busy all year apart from holidays and maybe the odd day I took too many gurners at the weekend. Taking two weeks off over xmas.

I think it's good to be multi trade though, a lot of plasterers Ive met are useless at anything else, I keep busy mainly plastering but tiling, bathroom fitting and ya basic carpentry (door frames, doors, stud work, skirts etc/).

It has taken me nearly 10 years though to get enough work coming in, some times Im busy, some times just ticking over, always enough to pick and choose what I want which is a bonus.

When I think back to a few short months ago how optimistic and enthusiastic I was at going back on the tools I feel kinda dumb. Within a year I was gonna be driving a brand new van, have customers outbidding each other for my service and a custom made trowel with the word success engraved on the handle.

Its not like that though is it? Its not even close and drifting further away by the day.

No jobs, no work, no stability

I take my hat of to the few lads making a decent living out of it. You deserve it.
Massive problem these days is plasterers working for awful rates and lining
When I think back to a few short months ago how optimistic and enthusiastic I was at going back on the tools I feel kinda dumb. Within a year I was gonna be driving a brand new van, have customers outbidding each other for my service and a custom made trowel with the word success engraved on the handle.

Its not like that though is it? Its not even close and drifting further away by the day.

No jobs, no work, no stability

I take my hat of to the few lads making a decent living out of it. You deserve it.
Plasterers working for awful rates make this job hard, you don't stand a chance of making a decent wage without killing yourself when there are " plasterers " happy working for £2m2 minus windows and doors.......

Anyway good luck to ya pal. Cheers man , have a 6 week break in Asia before i get started lol , so plenty of time to get even unfitter!
Quick questions

1. What other jobs do you do?

Was a trainer in a college for around 7 years.
Work in IT , design websites , repair hardware and software with Android and Windows.
Work as a demonstrator for Microsoft with Windows 10 and Office.
Do some set up work for Subway and Spar , setting up displays and installing fridges etc.
Work at a racetrack as well which is more of a hobby that i get paid for.

2. Whats a donkey choker?

A wad of cash so big it would choke a donkey ;)

Hmmm , been flat out with my other jobs and the plastering is over till Feb next year.
Was thinking of going FT at it but not so sure reading all this.
Things are picking up? Building all over the place in Northern Ireland.
My idea was to go subbie again for a few months and get back into the commercial work again , past ten years been 2 bag domestics so ive a bit of catching up to do and about 4 stone to take off the belly what with all the tea and biccies.
Only getting 2 weeks a month filled on domestic so thinking subbie on a commercial site or refurbs get me a few months of full weeks.

Where you working up north and is the money any good?

Where you working up north and is the money any good?

Im not working , looking work next year.

Best not to advertise prices but i've heard the money is what you would get 15 years ago!
Heard a few site grafters getting big money but im too creaky for that now :)

What do you do at the races John? Tic tac?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used to do that , have a cool job now , i work where the jockeys weigh in after the race.
Just getting the official information out to the media, you get a very close insight into Irish racing , im a fan of national hunt so its like a dream job :)

It's always been a hard game but nowadays there is so much competition, there didn't seem to be the amount of spreads about years ago, the site I'm on at the mo 18 plasterers were inducted but only two of us are still there, & to be fair the money wasn't bad eithe.

Hi Kitchy thanks for the heads up on the two coat job, hope you've kept my number ,if you need a hand on Huddersfield site next year

It's always been a hard game but nowadays there is so much competition, there didn't seem to be the amount of spreads about years ago, the site I'm on at the mo 18 plasterers were inducted but only two of us are still there, & to be fair the money wasn't bad eithe.
And they say there is a shortage of plasterers in some areas,jesus.
What areas,no where i am.

Status
Not open for further replies.