Beginning to realise how hard this game is !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As said no luck in our game ,just be good ,clean and come across well ,it really is that easy ,if after like me 30 years in the game you need to advertise ,then you did something wrong !imho

I dream of getting out of it but that doesn't happen either.
I've tried on countless occasions but for some reason or another I always end up back on the tools :muyenojado:
I'm on the railways every weekend, slowly getting all my tickets so I can move away from plastering and give my body a break. I love it, sitting in a hot van all night watching movies and eating McDonald's, half the time you get sent home on full pay, the easiest job I've ever had.

@mac its you age mate trust me im not being patronising or at least not intentialy...

when I turn up to price im grey, overweight face like ive sleep on a park bench and can hardly bend down to take my boots off at there front door..

and the sad thing is mate they love it they think god hes old, foooked and experienced...and if im totally honest if id have turned up in my 20s I would have actualy done them a better job...

not because I couldn't turn the same work out now...but because I know where I can take the shortcuts but still leave them happy enough...

Some good feedback there although still no clearer on what to do.

Personally I reckon assuming your lucky enough to get on with a decent firm or crew the younger you start an apprenticeship the better the chance of making a decent living and career out of it. Word of mouth seems the way forward and there is no shortcut to it. Contacts in the game don't come overnight either or the speed needed for site work.

I can't stand failing at something though. Especially as I'm actually (believe it or not) enjoying the job. I admittedly need to speed up. I can't stand s**t everywhere or being disorganised. And I'd rather work until midnight than turn out s**t work.

Time to step things up a bit me thinks.

To be continued. . . . . . . .
U a courser by any chance??

As said no luck in our game ,just be good ,clean and come across well ,it really is that easy ,if after like me 30 years in the game you need to advertise ,then you did something wrong !imho

Difference with that Keith is 30 yrs ago that's all it was "that good plasterer down road" "he's not bad at rendering" etc

Now it's all too easy to source other guys, Google, my builder, Facebook.

Difference with that Keith is 30 yrs ago that's all it was "that good plasterer down road" "he's not bad at rendering" etc

Now it's all too easy to source other guys, Google, my builder, Facebook.
i think most people want to see your work these days and word of mouth is better then "a lucky dip "

your just foookin cruel!!! lol....but yeah hes a defo!!!
That's y them courses shud be band there stealing money and promising them stupid things I feel sorry for the poor fellas bet there think il pay x amount do a 5 week course then I'm set for life with a job for life

Thanks buddy.

Yes £2.20 was what I left it at driving from sheff to hull everyday
It is stupid £2.20m2..teaming up with a firm mid nxt year on a massive job in Huddersfield its a fcking beast of a job so that's down ur way..bit more carrot dangling for my mate flynny

@mac its you age mate trust me im not being patronising or at least not intentialy...

when I turn up to price im grey, overweight face like ive sleep on a park bench and can hardly bend down to take my boots off at there front door..

and the sad thing is mate they love it they think god hes old, foooked and experienced...and if im totally honest if id have turned up in my 20s I would have actualy done them a better job...

not because I couldn't turn the same work out now...but because I know where I can take the shortcuts but still leave them happy enough...

I'm 62 zombie

@mac tbf mate once its repeat/referral work on domestics you could trowel up with your arse...im very fortunate now in that when my fone rings there ringing for me alone...

though when starting out in my 20s very very different every job I had to reassure and win them over with quality work and conduct...

personaly ive never met you but I recon your going to go very far in this game...you've got the right attitude and drive and have read the market perfectly pushing modern renders etc mate...

I was like you once pre 2 kids a separation and a recession...good luck fela!!!(y)

nah then @mac yer c**t...spilled my heart out here and you dint even like!!!

Beginning to realise how hard this game is !!

Me in 1979

U a courser by any chance??

I'm assuming courser means one of them dodgy 6 week things??

No.

Full 3 year city & guilds apprenticeship alternating between college and working for a firm every 3 months. On completion the 91-92 recession hit and that was that. To be fair at the time it was the excuse I was looking for as I hated it.

Strange how things turn out in the end?

No.

Full 3 year city & guilds apprenticeship alternating between college and working for a firm every 3 months. On completion the 91-92 recession hit and that was that. To be fair at the time it was the excuse I was looking for as I hated it.

it wa fate mate...the mistake you've made is thinking its the answer to your current problem 24yrs later!!!

No.

Soz pal just sounded like a courser..get ursen out in the real world ring around dnt sit around fcking about with cards and leaflets etc..

Mate of mine delivered 500 leaflets when he started up on his own. Only got 2 jobs. But, got 4 jobs from recommendations from those then 10 etc etc. Done really well for himself now. Word of mouth is always best imo. Good luck to you mate.

I know some good tradesmen that are crap salesmen.

I know some good salesmen that are crap tradesmen.

I'm a brilliant salesman, a decent tradesman ... but the Worlds worst accountant ... basically a very busy fool.

Status
Not open for further replies.