Base coat render hairline cracks

Members online

Hi lads (and lasses).

Still new to thincoat, done a few smallish jobs now (hand applied) last two in Johnstones. Iv noticed on a couple of times once sponge floating up basecoat that just a handful of small hair line cracks start appearing.

Cut one them out on Friday as we were doing it, layer didn’t look like it too thin or too thick. Noticed a similar thing a few years ago when doing a job in Weber ocr.

What do you reckon. Could we be over floating slightly and weakening? Or is this a common thing. Reminds me of when s&c has too much lime in and slightly cracks.

cheers
Jack.

Hi lads (and lasses).

Still new to thincoat, done a few smallish jobs now (hand applied) last two in Johnstones. Iv noticed on a couple of times once sponge floating up basecoat that just a handful of small hair line cracks start appearing.

Cut one them out on Friday as we were doing it, layer didn’t look like it too thin or too thick. Noticed a similar thing a few years ago when doing a job in Weber ocr.

What do you reckon. Could we be over floating slightly and weakening? Or is this a common thing. Reminds me of when s&c has too much lime in and slightly cracks.

cheers
Jack.
Yes wetting wirh spongexweakens rhe surface just spat as yu go

I power sponge base coat when spraying 1 mil texture, you have to mesh the last 2 ml of the system otherwise it will pull around at the base coat and you will get shrinkage cracks,
Hipolymers are flash setters,
As zombie said just spat finish

Thanks mate. It might be that I’m putting last bit of the base coat system on too thick then?. Used 10mm beads, base coat about 5/6mm, mesh then topcoat. (As that’s what Johnstones spec said.)

I did flatten with the spat, but then closed it in with a sponge float. Was planning on using 1.5mm tc
Yep that's what they say, but I always spat finish always put mesh in the last couple of mil, doing it right now with Johnstone's

Spot on mate that’s maybe where Iv gone wrong. So you only sponge when using 1mm.
I just run a power sponge over when using 1 mil just to take any blemishes and lines out as the base coat gotta be spot on for 1 mil, everyone's got their own methods but it works for me use shitloads Johnstone's

Ok. Il try getting the mesh closer to the top of the base system leaving a thinner top coat. Then spat finish rather than rubbing up.

Cheers fellas.

I just run a power sponge over when using 1 mil just to take any blemishes and lines out as the base coat gotta be spot on for 1 mil, everyone's got their own methods but it works for me use shitloads Johnstone's
Do you ever come across pinoles forming in the texture with using johnstones? Had them appear on the last job. Basecoat nice and cured (over a week) Then primed and left for two days before texture, which was applied in cloudy conditions. Rep said it can be due to mixing at high speed with a paddle? To be honest don't feel like I have done any more than turn it over just to get the water mixed through (around 500ml)

Thanks in advance