Awful

Members online

I've heard some stories of companies going in at break even or a loss just to get foot in door but how many of them could you do on them terms must have big cash flow

a firm called me in recession and asked am i interested in skimming 60 flats in bristol.

i asked where did get my number ??
"off a site agent"

but i live in lytham.
"ye the agents my brother he knows you from a site in manchester hes had to move in with me"

whats your rates ??
"£2 a metre"

are you taking the f**k**g piss ??
"haha it was worth a try"

what a CUUNT HEAD.

I've heard of a big local bricklaying company paying eastern Europeans £50 a day and training them on site. I'll get my mate to send me the quality of work they're churning out on £600k houses...

a firm called me in recession and asked am i interested in skimming 60 flats in bristol.

i asked where did get my number ??
"off a site agent"

but i live in lytham.
"ye the agents my brother he knows you from a site in manchester hes had to move in with me"

whats your rates ??
"£2 a metre"

are you taking the f**k**g piss ??
"haha it was worth a try"

what a CUUNT HEAD.
Agree
(Seems the in thing to do on the forum now)

IMG_0512.PNG
Where's that? Never heard of it.
Where's that? Never heard of it.
IMG_0512.PNG

I've heard of a big local bricklaying company paying eastern Europeans £50 a day and training them on site. I'll get my mate to send me the quality of work they're churning out on £600k houses...

I can guess who that is @Pug !

Talking of site rates....

I'm doing a big job in Cheltenham atm, 3 story hallway stairs and landing and a reception room.

Hallways and stairs have to be done weekends when the workers are not In so i roped my mate in to give me a hand yesterday and today.

We skimmed 40 sqm yesterday and 30sqm today.

That was between us both up and down ladders, planks, 4 bag first coats and was a over skim. I supplied the gear as I was asked to include that In my quote.

We done well actually surprised how much we got done between us.

We were talking rates for skim on site and apparently average is £4.50/£5 sqm?

So grafting like that on site we would of earnt £350 between us max for 2 days work? All that up down game big drops etc forget that!!

Last edited:

I'm doing a big job in Cheltenham atm, 3 story hallway stairs and landing and a reception room.

Hallways and stairs have to be done weekends when the workers are not In so i roped my mate in to give me a hand yesterday and today.

That was between us both up and down ladders, planks, 4 bag first coats and was a over skim. I supplied the gear as I was asked to include that In my quote.

So grafting like that on site we would of earnt £350 between us max for 2 days work? All that up down game big drops etc forget that!!

the difference is huge between sites and domestic/refurb.....by time you sheeted and pva'd...id be waiting for it too set.

I prefer site work to domestic. Well private new build work is the best.

i prefer to lying in bed all day untill the sun starts to set....but im not in ibiza and ive got to many daughters to feed.
so il just battle on until i die.
im actually looking forward to my first heart attack.
where i can lie somewhere and sleep without all the nagging and whining and bickering.

the difference is huge between sites and domestic/refurb.....by time you sheeted and pva'd...id be waiting for it too set.
I agree, still on refurbs builder/main contractor wants to pay site rates for reskim, maybe a new ceiling here and there, real hodgepodge, new bit here crappy old bit there. Quoted one on end of last year, 27 rooms, was 600m² all in, smallest room was 10m² with weird angles all over the place and wanted to pay site price, mostly was just repairs, wouldn't pay dayrate only meter price.

I agree, still on refurbs builder/main contractor wants to pay site rates for reskim, maybe a new ceiling here and there, real hodgepodge, new bit here crappy old bit there. Quoted one on end of last year, 27 rooms, was 600m² all in, smallest room was 10m² with weird angles all over the place and wanted to pay site price, mostly was just repairs, wouldn't pay dayrate only meter price.

its because him and his mates talk shiiite about whos paying what to who......its a load of old tosh.
none of them are spreads but think they know it all.
hope you told him where to go with his rates.......cheeky cuunt telling you what your rates are !!!

its because him and his mates talk shiiite about whos paying what to who......its a load of old tosh.
none of them are spreads but think they know it all.
hope you told him where to go with his rates.......cheeky cuunt telling you what your rates are !!!
I did put a quote in with reasonable prices needless to say they didn't bother getting back to me.

Honestly mate i take my hat off to you, we were going like fook and only got so far until we had to start closing in the first coat ready for second.

Id love to go on a site for a day and see how they go at it. I heard a 3 bedroom house being done in less than 4 days. Granted its all on board but still that's some going!

Sites dont pay 4.50 to 5.00 more like 2.50 to 3.50

Honestly mate i take my hat off to you, we were going like fook and only got so far until we had to start closing in the first coat ready for second.

Id love to go on a site for a day and see how they go at it. I heard a 3 bedroom house being done in less than 4 days. Granted its all on board but still that's some going!
3 bedder 2 days mate

Wow looking at this makes me think that maybe I should do something else, because I clearly can't keep up with you lot lol

I'm happy plodding these days and charging good money. Some days I like to motor but depends what? I'm on my own now so dreading next sand cement job but one of the members on here keen to help me when I do so should be OK?

Still good going, an average 3 bed will have around 135 boards in it. So I'm guessing for two of you, 6 hits each.
I'm on my own, a nice weeks work for me 5 days, with 3 hits on 2 days and 2 hits a day for the other 3 days. That's why I like working on my own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still good going, an average 3 bed will have around 135 boards in it. So I'm guessing for two of you, 6 hits each.
I'm on my own, a nice weeks work for me 5 days, with 3 hits on 2 days and 2 hits a day for the other 3 days. That's why I like working on my own.

I'm just slowing down in my old age. Most builders I sub to think I'm fast but clean and tidy with it but reading some of these posts I'm a f**k**g snail compared to you guys??

I'm just slowing down in my old age. Most builders I sub to think I'm fast but clean and tidy with it but reading some of these posts I'm a f**k**g snail compared to you guys??

Does it matter?
So long as the finished job is good and we all get our money!!!