Ask for interim payments as you go along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i wonder how profesional all the above would feel if they got tucked up. Its a fuckkin horrible situation when you supply materials men and labour only to get stung. Then in hindsight you look back and think "why didnt i ask for a deposit" the less risk you put yourself in the better of you will be financially.
You don't have to blurt out you want paying up front you can just draw something up to give the customer showing your terms. Its them that want the job done. You cant go into a bank and get interest free credit terms on short term loans no matter of your status. business is business.

Exactly it's business, if i get offered money up front i always take it.
I don't think it looks unproffesional at all, but even if it did who cares you've got to look after number one (& your family)
I will lay out so much for materials until it goes over a certain amount.
The job i'm on at the moment i was offered money upfront,
And I've been paid £1500 upfront, £1500 halfway through & i'll collect £3000 on completion.
I hope:RpS_biggrin:

To be honest i never ask for money on small jobs like 1 or 2 weeks.
But if it's offered i'll take it!!:RpS_wink:

This is the trouble when you are out laying money when you cant afford it with the risk of never getting it back thats when it can get a bit of a headache, personally never had a problem with the general public but i know a few people who has and it can be crippling.

I got tucked up once... but walked up the drive carrying a crowbar kinder mind him pay :)

Only been knocked by one company.... but they got what they deserve and I would have paid £300 for got done to them :)

Cringe worthy it maybe to some but i'd rather have some money in my pocket than be on a wing and a prayer lol

It can get expensive when you have a few men working for you and you go in to knock a new house external render job on the head in a week. What do you do then ? say 250m2 monocouche new build. 2.5k materials boys working on price 3k and all banged out in a week. That's commonly dooable but could leave you 5k outa pocket in just 5 days.
The tuck up merchants are there waiting for the boys who are too proud to ask for deposits. Put it this way if you had a shitt hot salesman who went round pricing all your work with a brilliant success rate at winning the jobs would you ask him to collect a deposit as well. ??????? if you didnt have to face the customer

if you are prepared to NOT take a deposit be prepared to take a knock.i have had my tome trying to make it big with men etc luckily not in the uk.there is not a chance i would go for it here let me see i will supply materials and say 6 men for a month then hope i get paid no sir not me im afraid im gonna be a little fish trying to get along without the slightest bit of jealousy about you bigger firms good luck.the really really strange thing is there s not one person on here who has men working for them subbing off big building companies whom has nt been burnt at least once yet you continue to practise the same methods which will only result in another burning

I know of small companies that were working for big companies, who subsequently went bust owing tens of thousands of pounds. Within a few weeks, the big company has started again, and the small companies are back working for them, deluded in to thinking that they are going to earn their losses back.

Status
Not open for further replies.