Artex sealer equivalent

Members online

Wayners

Been looking about for some sealer and found this wickes stuff. Been trying it out as I wanted something that seals better than Pva but doesn't have the sand like blue grit. Found this from wickes but early days. Anyone used? It's also says to use this product before there one coat plaster and is very similar to artex sealer. Has no sticky like Pva though.
p4GA78E.jpg

Been looking about for some sealer and found this wickes stuff. Been trying it out as I wanted something that seals better than Pva but doesn't have the sand like blue grit. Found this from wickes but early days. Anyone used? It's also says to use this product before there one coat plaster and is very similar to artex sealer. Has no sticky like Pva though.
p4GA78E.jpg

@knauf @Runswithscissors @quinns

Reactions: Djr
I have been tempted to use the BG version in the past, it’s designed to go over after the tape and joiners to even out the whole wall for painting or papering. Wondered how similar it was to BG high suction sealer which is expensive.
If Wickes one is stating it can be plastered on when dry it should be ok for skim too?

All it says on the back of tin is to seal prior to one coat plaster or seal plaster and plasterboard to allow emulsion to be applied avoiding streaks from uneven drying. Not really good information.

FFS why the need too over complicate!

Pva and skim away!
Uneven suction. Drags back. Can craze and crack. Bla bla. Sometimes I need a real good seal especially over old artex painted or not. Skimmed some big ceilings on my own and Pva would not of held it workable. Blue grit is the answer but sometimes I cus the grit. Jmo.

Uneven suction. Drags back. Can craze and crack. Bla bla. Sometimes I need a real good seal especially over old artex painted or not. Skimmed some big ceilings on my own and Pva would not of held it workable. Blue grit is the answer but sometimes I cus the grit. Jmo.

Then overboard

@zombie overboard gets mentioned here but with sofas / furniture plus many rooms have coving is overboard and option? I can't overboard these days without a lifter that I hire. Gone are the days I could fit them on my own

@zombie overboard gets mentioned here but with sofas / furniture plus many rooms have coving is overboard and option? I can't overboard these days without a lifter that I hire. Gone are the days I could fit them on my own

Just use 6 X 3s and 2 props!

Room needs to be empty to plaster anyway!

Coving yep you've got me there pal!

....Blue grit is the answer ...

You've answered your own question, sounds like you want to have your cake and eat it.
Just lay the first coat on a bit stiff/thick if you are struggling with the grit and give it a brush first in case there's any loose.

I have been using the zombie mix on the first coat over blue grit.... works well to get over that...

Artex sealer available on amazon (cheap) and eBay now. Be buying multi finish on eBay soon the way its going. Get the delivery driver to load van . (y) crazy world.

Wake an old post. Artexed ceiling today.my first one in years and sealed with beeline sealer. It's a pva emulsion but not sticky. Was over dried multi finish on new board. 3/1 mix 3 coats and let it dry overnight. Worked great as a sealer. Sealed other surfaces over last few months with it, then plasters pva on that and banged on with the multi finish. So if you need a good seal on any surface then this will work. Something different to SBR which is styrene rubber.

beeline-decorators-primer-sealer-2-5kg-beeline-primers-3794075025482_1400x.jpg

Wake an old post. Artexed ceiling today.my first one in years and sealed with beeline sealer. It's a pva emulsion but not sticky. Was over dried multi finish on new board. 3/1 mix 3 coats and let it dry overnight. Worked great as a sealer. Sealed other surfaces over last few months with it, then plasters pva on that and banged on with the multi finish. So if you need a good seal on any surface then this will work. Something different to SBR which is styrene rubber.

Not being a smartarse - this is a sincere question:

If it's based on PVA, then why would one use this for sealing, instead of good ol' standard PVA...?

I've used Cementone Green goo to good effect on artex ceiling help stabilise some more powdery areas as well. You have to put the first coat on reasonably thick to avoid scratching the grit is all.

Not being a smartarse - this is a sincere question:

If it's based on PVA, then why would one use this for sealing, instead of good ol' standard PVA...?
Because it doesn't liven up. You can safely seal surfaces then paint over or paper. It sticks to more surfaces than standard pva. Data says it sticks to gloss surfaces, metal and glass. It's ideal for priming creating a bond but I then use plasters pva over it for tried and tested adhesion. Wish I understood the technical difference between this and other pva but I don't. I do know it's different. Plastering pva won't stick well to glass of gloss surfaces. You splash this stuff on surface like glossed skirting you can't get it off..Thoughts?

My thoughts are that I wish I understood more, too. Maybe it has smaller molecules than standard PVA, so they penetrate surfaces more effectively? I'm no chemist.

Or maybe it's PVA combined with a different chemical? (acrylic or whatever)

that's just Wickes' version of BG's drywall sealer for bare boards prior to painting/decoration.......nothing to do with plastering.