Are we too CHEAP

Members online

we are currently charging £130 a day each plus materials to skim so we are doing 6 bags a day for £260 plus pva n beading so we are doing a sitting room for about £320 in the northeast is this too cheap as every job we quote we get yes we are 1 of the highest plastering companys in the northeast on check a trade but don't want to be underpriceing jobs at same time any advise on what you charge would be great thanks

we are currently charging £130 a day each plus materials to skim so we are doing 6 bags a day for £260 plus pva n beading so we are doing a sitting room for about £320 in the northeast is this too cheap as every job we quote we get yes we are 1 of the highest plastering companys in the northeast on check a trade but don't want to be underpriceing jobs at same time any advise on what you charge would be great thanks
Yes you’re r too cheap. Charge double that easily

Last edited:

No idea in the North East but to run a business in the South you have to be earning between £250 - £300 a day. For a straight forward sitting room would be charging around £900.

You have alot of people on your reviews saying very reasonable price...great price etc. This basically means you came in way cheaper than other prices.

I m in the north east and put 3 bags a day on for 120 plus materials and if i need a labourer its hard in the north east to get much more as there are that many people undercutting

It’s grim up North
I’m Birmingham way and most people are tight wads, Asian or make do and mend British war generation value system white British!
You can’t charge much more than a going rate which rate is dictated by chancers and rough workers who pay no tax and people who use no punctuation! Unless people come to you through reputation but they still are cautious and get second quotes

But you could do 6 bags an charge 240?
Nah if you said up here 240 a day you would see them die infront of you but say 120 and it will take 2 days there happy with because they think there getting a cheap day rate or charge per job and then we crack on and get it done

Nah if you said up here 240 a day you would see them die infront of you but say 120 and it will take 2 days there happy with because they think there getting a cheap day rate or charge per job and then we crack on and get it done
Makes no sense whatsoever

Not realy but when your going in against people charging 80 a day you say 240 you have no chance but if your recommended for 120 a day you get the job
I get what you’re saying mate but if you can get a job at 120 a day for two days and it’s 6 bags surely you can tell them the total price is 240 plus mats and just bash it in a day and stand with your hand out at 3 o’clock

I get what you’re saying mate but if you can get a job at 120 a day for two days and it’s 6 bags surely you can tell them the total price is 240 plus mats and just bash it in a day and stand with your hand out at 3 o’clock
Yea if i know im definatly guna get the job i just put the price in a crack it off and make whatever i can but for the likes of if your against people or for builders even there tight as it doesnt make sense ut thats what its like up here

what I use to charge is a lot more..

If you are going to work for day work you are better off getting a job....

if you take out all of your fixed costs and allow for downtime and van failings and what not then you will see that you will be on about £60 a day
And if you run like that and employ a labourer you are just running a business for him
I’ve done it before

Problem is alot of lads through sometimes no fault of there own are poorly educated 'punctuation' and have 0 business acumen. Plus they don't do themselves any favours turning up in a pair of scruffy tracksuit bottoms.

People don't buy on price they buy on the benefits of the service.

Look at some of the companies out there that sell ridiculously expensive products that cost peanuts to manufacture...I'm sure people in the North buy them to?

Problem is alot of lads through sometimes though no fault of there own are poorly educated 'punctuation' and have 0 business acumen. Plus they don't do themselves any favours turning up in a pair of scruffy tracksuit bottoms.

People don't buy on price they buy on the benefits of the service.

Look at some of the companies out there that sell ridiculously expensive products that cost peanuts to manufacture...I'm sure people in the North buy them to?

People in the North don’t buy tech en masse, they wait till relatives form South upgrade their tech and give the old away. Thing is when your picking a quote your not picking a value in service neither a finished product

People in the North don’t buy tech en masse, they wait till relatives form South upgrade their tech and give the old away. Thing is when your picking a quote your not picking a value in service neither a finished product

Mate unfortunately you don't understand the customer will see the value in your service when you explain the benefits and show them what to expect with the finish. The real value will be recognised when for example you turn up smartly dressed with Ipad showing previous work, taking the time to explain to the customer the full process, how they will be left with the perfect finish no filling or sanding required...everything will be protected and left spotless on completion...the professional written quotation etc etc I can think of maybe 20-30 ways I sell benefits when I do a quote. That is 20 more than someone who turns up in a tracksuit saying I'll do it for £200 for cash.

If I don't get the job it's because they don't see the benefits not because of the cost.