any ideas lads

Status
Not open for further replies.

plastered46

hi please could you help me with a baffling subject ive been a plasterer for 36 years so i aint new to the trade . question is drylining side of things the next step is skimming out using fibre tape on all joints and skim two coat work and trowel up to a perfect job no ripples bulges or anything like that .trouble is after the painters have moved in there is a tendency for the joints to start bulging you can see the joints from top to bottom it only happens on certain jobs . i could go weeks plastering houses with no problems at all its a very strange occurrence baffling in fact and it dont make my work look good is it to do with moisture in the building also im using solid dabs around all the joints when dry lining any suggestions please look forward to reply regards paul i did try this in the dry lining section but thought better in here

like you say youve been doing it 36yrs so dont wont to appear to state obvious but are the plasterboards tapered at edges ?andy

Hi Paul
Think I can help you here, I first came across this problem many many years ago on a refurb. The building was an office block convered into an hotel. All the windows were removed for loading of plasterboard and service holes were cut from top to bottom through each floor. It then rained and rained for weeks flooding every floor in the building. Result very soft damp plasterboard. Walls and ceiling partitioned trapping the moisture. You come along and add heat by plastering, the only place it can escape is through the joints. I had it happen about three times while I was supervising each time it was a damp building. The main contractor/ builder will always blame the plasterers, very hard to prove unless you have documented photos and evidence of damp. Time to get the sanding pole out !

ye totaly agree with last post and yes they are tapered boards handy realy at least u can sand the joints down with out hitting the scrim .i have also used no tapered boards and still it happened i also think its to do with solid dabs on each joint .didnt seem to happen when u didnt use solid dabs still baffled though back to job to sand down tomorrow or fine filler wot a bummer thanks lads

Status
Not open for further replies.