An Old Dog CAN Learn New Tricks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah mine left it slightly pitted on the flattening stage for like the first week but it left a nice closed in finish still, doesnt leave any marks now though and its better to get on it sooner

Took this today. I gave it two coats then flattened with my MT. This is the second trowel (first with the super flex) ended up giving it the third trowel with my mt. Checked the first ceiling I did yesterday and its not great. Itll paint fine but not left to the usual standard.

Incidently I also used it to skim a wall i floated this morning and it came out a treat. Used No water what so ever. Even with the extra suction compared to plasterboard. Made me think I was going over the board too soon but you've all said to get on it sooner.

Incidently I also used it to skim a wall i floated this morning and it came out a treat. Used No water what so ever. Even with the extra suction compared to plasterboard. Made me think I was going over the board too soon but you've all said to get on it sooner.

It will take some tweaking with your timing as everybody is different as to what is "ready" to trowel and what isn't??
I'm still impressed each time I use mine and I think the more you use it the easier it will become!?
I love the no water bit as no wet floors afterward from dripping flatbrushes etc :RpS_thumbup:

It's like the eze spat mate, sometimes great sometimes rubbish. I'm still finding my feet with it.

Took this today. I gave it two coats then flattened with my MT. This is the second trowel (first with the super flex) ended up giving it the third trowel with my mt. Checked the first ceiling I did yesterday and its not great. Itll paint fine but not left to the usual standard.

your timing is still on mt ,you get on it soon as you have washed everything off, then a quick cuppa/smoke and over it again , 10/ 15 minutes cross it bring every trowel forward 10/15 minutes, but timing is personal choice but the flimsiness of trowel needs soft gear to perform to its best purpose .Not telling you how to suck eggs beddy , but try it :RpS_thumbsup:

mine left nothing that bad and it still closed in fine:RpS_confused: to be fair i still use water but only a little dab here and there, mines mustard now:RpS_thumbup:

I've always thought these were a bit gimmicky but by everyone input looks like I could give it a try, do u 1st coat then speed skim straight away ,let the gear set up as normal then second coat n speed skim straight away again then polish as normal with speed skim

I've always thought these were a bit gimmicky but by everyone input looks like I could give it a try, do u 1st coat then speed skim straight away ,let the gear set up as normal then second coat n speed skim straight away again then polish as normal with speed skim

Still not convinced. Don't Know what I'm doing differently to everyone else but i just aint getting it

Well impressed with finish my only fault is tend to leave a few lines on walls saying that plastic trowel is now goin on ebay!

Anyone whos happy with it would you mind taking close up pics of a wall to compare to the one I took? Not sure if its a dodgy trowel or if it's just not for me

I'm no convinced clemo, having same problems as beddy with trowel and hard to make out finish on your pics on my phone.

I agree with beddy. I'm still undecided. Still get a far better finish the old fashioned way. I'll keep trying though.

I be said enough how I feel about mine, only advice I'd say is perhaps leave it a bit longer before flattening ?? I'm still tweaking my timings with it, used it on a ceiling that was artexed and I gave it a tight coat of bonding the day before and I rollered on a weakish PVA to help with suction (they had had heating on full whack and bonding was bone dry!!) And I wondered if it would behave different as apposed to boards? I did get a lot of blebbing on first flatten then left it as long as I could on last two trowels and if anything it looked too smooth still only wetted the blade but wet brushed around the cieling edge/angle :RpS_thumbup:

Ive used it to ok standards on floated walls with a bit of suction. That's made me think im getting on it to early on board

Ive used it to ok standards on floated walls with a bit of suction. That's made me think im getting on it to early on board
Possibly but when you hit it right you'l hopefully realise how good these trowels are?? I just find skimming so much easier without having to put as much pressure on and not having to flick water on. You know yourself mate somthings work for one but not for the other??

How long are you leaving it between trowels greg? And how soon after second coating are you getting on it

How long are you leaving it between trowels greg? And how soon after second coating are you getting on it

On plasterboard I 1st coat with my m/t then obviously defending how much area your doing (for arguments sake 2bags) once cleaned my gear off and a big swig of tea (very important) I second coat with the superted which leaves no/hardly any lines. Then while the lads cleaning tubs and everything else I'm drink more tea and quick but tie (10 - 15 mins) then holding the trowel quite flat as apposed to the blade 45degrees or more I flatten using no water just scraping any excess (hardly anything really) then I leave it till its going in (touch test) not too wet then flatten again and each time increase the angle of the blade but again I only wipe the blade clean with water not splash any on the surface. As to how many trowels is personal preference?? I do at least 3 and a "polish" at the end followed by more tea :RpS_thumbup:

Looks tidy that after one trowel... Still like the s*p*r*lex tho..... Thanks beddy :RpS_thumbup:

see scottie that looks completely different to mine. whats your process of using it[/QUOTE

I laid in with m/town, put twitcher round, washed out then flattened straight away with the s/flex , it was a big double bedroom though so by the time I got on it with a trowel it had been on a while, maybe like you say leave it a little longer to pick up a bit.

First attempt was spot on got stuck in small bathroom timings went awol stuck to marshys technique and spot on thanks marshy I owe you apint or two trowels are great!just ordered another s*p*r*lex all day long !:RpS_thumbup:

see scottie that looks completely different to mine. whats your process of using it[/QUOTE

I laid in with m/town, put twitcher round, washed out then flattened straight away with the s/flex , it was a big double bedroom though so by the time I got on it with a trowel it had been on a while, maybe like you say leave it a little longer to pick up a bit.

What is a twitcher. Is it a angle tool

Status
Not open for further replies.