An Old Dog CAN Learn New Tricks!!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
s*p*r*lex arrived yestaday will have to wait till teus to give it a go.

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App
Great news :RpS_thumbup: let me know what you think? Remember you won't need water! Just wet the blade as you go :RpS_wink: hope your as chuffed as I was :RpS_biggrin:

Would you use quite a tight angle when troweling up? read an old thread n someone mentioned doing this I try n use as little water as poss anywho

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

Would you use quite a tight angle when troweling up? read an old thread n someone mentioned doing this I try n use as little water as poss anywho

I had the angle quite flat while the skim was soft and got wider angle as it was setting. After second coating, I gave it 3 trowels and a final polish all I used water on was brushing angles and wiping the trowel blade and that was it. Just don't leave it too long before going over it. Am using mine again tomorrow :RpS_biggrin:

Finally used mi s*p*r*lex today and I just wanted to thankyou @Marshy . bloody fantastic piece of kit, float n set on a chimney breast. 1st & 2nd coat on with 16 MT then finished with this beauty leaves lovely finish no extra water at all won't be without it now. Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
superb. bought 16 inch on ebay on sunday for forty quid and it was here before i left for work this morning. thought it was a touch heavy but when i started using couldnt believe it. just like the above. no trowel lines, no shudder marks, very little water needed, and this straight off. superb finish. it'll replace the silverline in the next few weeks. gonna get me a 14 inch as well. they should do a s*p*r*lex midget ...

will anybody be using mt for skimming soon??????????????

trowelled up some of the fidgety bits with the tyzack today, hence why getting the smaller other name. couldn't believe it. but will order the smaller size tomorrow. dont know how it works but it does. and ive had the tyzack ten plus years, love it, wooden handle, but in a few weeks it will be second fiddle. sounds strange but i rate them that highly. revelation

there ya go marshy , a bit of payment as such for your work good luck bud :RpS_thumbsup: and lets have a review ,I've been looking at these myself

I will look forward to it and submit an honest review. How you feeling pal? Still on a high after your good news?? :RpS_thumbup:

there ya go marshy , a bit of payment as such for your work good luck bud :RpS_thumbsup: and lets have a review ,I've been looking at these myself

I will look forward to it and submit an honest review. How you feeling pal? Still on a high after your good news?? :RpS_thumbup:

yes mate :RpS_thumbsup: ,still problems but I can work and live normal now without the noose around my neck, Im still gunna get egg sized lumps on my neck for a couple of weeks at a time, ffing weird body of mine, I think there going to be removing my lynth nodes to stop it :RpS_thumbsup:

yes mate :RpS_thumbsup: ,still problems but I can work and live normal now without the noose around my neck, Im still gunna get egg sized lumps on my neck for a couple of weeks at a time, ffing weird body of mine, I think there going to be removing my lynth nodes to stop it :RpS_thumbsup:
lol this is so much better reading than what it could of been :RpS_scared:

just members i think not sponsors, mabey they are having second thought about pulling there sponsorship, they did take alot of flack but thats what is about, imagin how much shite scott at speedskim has taken over the time hes been a sponsor for example.

the leather handle sounds the dogs wobblies though, all the blokes that i work with are looking for these s*p*r*lex trowels now after trying mine they are second to none for skimming IMO OTT LOL FFS FML and so on
does make you think will it only be the old set in there way types skimming with mts soon, but then saying that gibbo actually LIKES yes thats right LIKES the s*p*r*lex aswell:RpS_scared:

i was under the impression that @Marshy diddnt drink by the bottle but more straight out the barrell:RpS_unsure:

does he??? i thought he would like them, im sure he likes the plastics:RpS_confused: or mabey my age is catching up with me and ive remembered all this wrong haha

just members i think not sponsors, mabey they are having second thought about pulling there sponsorship, they did take alot of flack but thats what is about, imagin how much shite scott at speedskim has taken over the time hes been a sponsor for example.

the leather handle sounds the dogs wobblies though, all the blokes that i work with are looking for these s*p*r*lex trowels now after trying mine they are second to none for skimming IMO OTT LOL FFS FML and so on
does make you think will it only be the old set in there way types skimming with mts soon, but then saying that gibbo actually LIKES yes thats right LIKES the s*p*r*lex aswell:RpS_scared:
I am stuck in my ways or was and I only got one because of some of you guys saying how good they were so rather than stick my head back in the sand!? I got one and never looked back. Some of us old dogs need abit more coaxing to learn new tricks Jace :RpS_wink:

i wassnt too sure on them when i first looked at them but then i think it was scottie and malc than told me a bit more on them and i just thought id give it ago, and i have to say half a wall through after just getting it out the box and i was well impressed, think this was about november october time and i havent used anything else since.
even had one of the sion at work nick mine yesterday and use it cos i was floating out, when i went in to see what he thought he was on the ****** website on his phone trying to find one haha

I'd be surprised if Ribena don't get back on the forum after(from what I've read) very positive feedback/reviews !?? I mean there will always be some who don't like your products? So what!!?? But the ones raving about their stuff on here far outweighs that !? @scottie5 made me take notice of these trowels along with a few others and it was @jesssop who said it was like some kind of witchcraft !? That made me order one straight away and even named the trowel jesssop lol I love my M/Ts for cement and first coat skim then its just jesssop all the way after that with no water! Still can't get my head round it but the proof was there in front of my own eyes and clocking on average a half hour less per gauge/set :RpS_thumbup:

i still use water but just a little dabll do ya kind of thing, i did try with out but prefer it with, absolutely faultless finish everytime

I used one today and I can't make up my mind. The finish is good enough but I have a couple Things im not sure about. 1. Do you get over it sooner? 2. does anyone else look closely after flattening and the surface seems kind of pitted of you know what I mean. Looks like its scraping it rather than flattening it even though I had the trowel shallow to the wall. 2. Do you apply firmer pressure towards the end or still lightly as I was getting a couple of friction lines

Last edited:
yes the refina scotty

yes it was on board jim. i floated 2 walls and skimmed with normal trowel but put the ceiling on aswell and trowelled that up with the s*p*r*lex

I used one today and I can't make up my mind. The finish is good enough but I have a couple Things im not sure about. 1. Do you get over it sooner? 2. does anyone else look closelt after flattening and the surface seems kind of pitted of you know what I mean. Looks like its scraping it rather than flattening it even though I had the trowel shallow to the wall. 2. Do you apply firmer pressure towards the end or still lightly as I was getting a couple of friction lines

1 yes get on it sooner
2 I have noticed the little pits but was over artex with some bonding in the first coat thought it might be something to so with that. Finished ok tho seen it goin to see job tomorrow so will see how it looks painted.
2 I do apply more pressure maybe not as much as with MT just kept cleaning the edge with wet brush.

Status
Not open for further replies.