advice needed on plasterboard

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

drazy

hi everyone,

i'm a EWI qualified plasterer for over 3 now, im getting more and more into skimming, i've done very little plasterboarding in the past though, i'm currently doing a job for a friend, (ceilings) the ceilings are cardboard they are bent and coming off , i suggested we take it all down and reboard it with 240mm x 120mm x 9.5mm plasterboard sheets then scrim the joints and skim, i know i could fix the exciting boards by screwing it back to studs and over board with plasterboard as well, i would rather take it down than contribute to the weight? what do you guys think ?

if i take it down, i will then use 240mm x 120mm x 12.5mm plasterboard instead the thin 9.5mm

but will use the 9.5mm if overboard

the house is old and moves a lot and so i suggested them to get moldings to hide any cracks that may appear with time from the ceiling to walls as im not doing the walls which then i can not scrim the edges?

btw taking all down or overboard the lot wont affect on the cost as the job is for a friend and i don't even know how to price it to him lol

thank you guys :RpS_biggrin:

Yes you can get them. But you shouldn't use 9.5 on ceilings. They're too flimsy and will sag in years to come

I don't know anyone that uses 9.5 boards, unless they need it for packing out or something like that. Personally, I'd rather use 15mm for everything.

I don't know anyone that uses 9.5 boards, unless they need it for packing out or something like that. Personally, I'd rather use 15mm for

I use 6mm contour a lot on older properties as they are light but strong and can follow the contours of the ceiling. A bit expensive but can also be good packers aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.