acrylic render job

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Work with an experienced gang

thats my point spunky i dont know any to get some experience, so that only leaves training from the manufacturer etc, but that doesnt help you problem solve on the job. or like u say just cuff it and cross ya fingers which probably will only get you by for so long marra

Are you spiderman's granddad andy?

What the feck is that about Steve lol.

Totally agree andy, but i feel its a catch 22 problem,How do you get the knowledge, i know about 10 spreads in Newcastle and not one of them has used an acrylic system, but we can all render, so because ive got no one to pass on some knowledge and show me how to use it correctly do i wing it and have a go and hope i dont make an arse of it, or spend some cash and go to parex or SAS in exeter for a couple of one day courses . Can i learn enough in one day?? probably unlikely. But these cowboys seem to be watching a youtube vid on various render systems and fooking up peoples houses and getting away with it. IMO

Why not ask to tag along for free or perhaps even pay someone with experience in another area, I'd happily do that for someone who doesn't live down the road and is going to be my competition. Not that I know feck all that anyone would want to know:RpS_blushing:

What the feck is that about Steve lol.

Why not ask to tag along for free or perhaps even pay someone with experience in another area, I'd happily do that for someone who doesn't live down the road and is going to be my competition. Not that I know feck all that anyone would want to know:RpS_blushing:

worth a try andy, i just expect the competition to tell me to do one ( or words to that effect)..

Its in the interest of the manufacturer to provide training in their products so they are applied correctly and look good, if they are installed badly it could backfire on the manufacturer.

Part of the reason some of these products were brought onto the market e.g acrylics was to allow architects to be more flexible with design without the requirement of skilled tradesman to apply the finishes.

These new products aren't rocket science in fact they are the opposite they have been designed with the low skilled courser in mind! lol The one thing to remember is not to take to big an area on unless you have a machine.

Its in the interest of the manufacturer to provide training in their products so they are applied correctly and look good, if they are installed badly it could backfire on the manufacturer.

Part of the reason some of these products were brought onto the market e.g acrylics was to allow architects to be more flexible with design without the requirement of skilled tradesman to apply the finishes.

These new products aren't rocket science in fact they are the opposite they have been designed with the low skilled courser in mind! lol The one thing to remember is not to take to big an area on unless you have a machine.

But if its so easy to use then how comes so many jobs are getting fooked up? would be my argument. but i agree waliking before you can run, or maybe thats the problem . it looks easy so lets start by doing a full house and it al goes pear shaped

The reason it gets f**ked up is as I said before many spreads just treat the render products like sand and cement and just slap it on. I've got a couple of m8s like this they don't change the way they have done things for years, or update their knowledge just slap it on, thats where mistakes happen. Research the application of the product to the background you are going onto, get the manufacturers training and u'll be fine, don't take on large areas these products are better machine applied, stick to small extensions.

i was a fully qualied spread when i set about using thermal renders - i went to work with a lad who knew the insides and outs of the systems he paid me out of his price based on the extra measure i helped him get through, he taught me everything he knew and more. I had to take a few bollockings too (like being a can lad all over again) since then a good ten years have passed - in that time time i have seen fellers who tell me they have been applicating for longer than me and "know all there is to know" and "there's nothing you can teach me about thin coat" etc but when i have seen them work I have been amused:RpS_lol:

It must be one of the most talked up trades then so easy to fall flat on you're face lol
when I left my first firm I went with a lad who was going oh I never pay my lads less than three quid, I'm on a decent krend job at the minute got loads of work on etc.....I thought he was a firm but turns out he's a one man band we turned up on the first job he had a brand new 6ft straight edge and goes ok err who's ruling :RpS_lol:

i was a fully qualied spread when i set about using thermal renders - i went to work with a lad who knew the insides and outs of the systems he paid me out of his price based on the extra measure i helped him get through, he taught me everything he knew and more. I had to take a few bollockings too (like being a can lad all over again) since then a good ten years have passed - in that time time i have seen fellers who tell me they have been applicating for longer than me and "know all there is to know" and "there's nothing you can teach me about thin coat" etc but when i have seen them work I have been amused:RpS_lol:

Thats why knowledge is the bomb marra.......:RpS_thumbup:

Some of us don't have the opportunity to work for others and learn these systems purely because those in the know are not willing to share their knowledge. In my case I reckon it may be because they are worried about competition. I can't count the amount of times I've offered free labour to learn even on this forum and never been given the opportunity. Its a shame really because I've always had the attitude that if some1 helps you out you return the favour. In the case of skimming and and sand cement rendering i've passed on £1000s of pounds of work over the last few years. And could have passed on about £20000 of KRend last year.

Some of us don't have the opportunity to work for others and learn these systems purely because those in the know are not willing to share their knowledge. In my case I reckon it may be because they are worried about competition. I can't count the amount of times I've offered free labour to learn even on this forum and never been given the opportunity. Its a shame really because I've always had the attitude that if some1 helps you out you return the favour. In the case of skimming and and sand cement rendering i've passed on £1000s of pounds of work over the last few years. And could have passed on about £20000 of KRend last year.

Might paying for a course of instruction from the manufacturer/supplier be the first step for you?

Yea did that with K Rend, and i'm fairly confident with it now. Still be nice to do some bigger jobs though. Getting lots of calls for acrylics but just having to turn them down until I find some1 reliable/helpful.

Yea did that with K Rend, and i'm fairly confident with it now. Still be nice to do some bigger jobs though. Getting lots of calls for acrylics but just having to turn them down until I find some1 reliable/helpful.

Render systems has been on about sorting some training out, dont know when though, defo thinking about going to SAS for some training, shame its fooking miles away in exeter......:RpS_cursing:

When using acrylic plasters it is vital to protect door, windows, pavings, etc. or be prepared to spend hours cleaning. The other thing is to watch the weather as these products air dry and don't "set" like cement based renders. For instance, STO Armat Classic base coat can take 3 or 4 days to dry and shouldn't be overcoated until it is dry. Suppliers that are protective of their product's reputation will provide proper training and on-site technical advice. I ound STO to be very good at this and when you are rendering 4 - 5mm thick you need all the help you can get!

When using acrylic plasters it is vital to protect door, windows, pavings, etc. or be prepared to spend hours cleaning. The other thing is to watch the weather as these products air dry and don't "set" like cement based renders. For instance, STO Armat Classic base coat can take 3 or 4 days to dry and shouldn't be overcoated until it is dry. Suppliers that are protective of their product's reputation will provide proper training and on-site technical advice. I found STO to be very good at this and when you are rendering 4 - 5mm thick you need all the help you can get!

When using acrylic plasters it is vital to protect door, windows, pavings, etc. or be prepared to spend hours cleaning. The other thing is to watch the weather as these products air dry and don't "set" like cement based renders. For instance, STO Armat Classic base coat can take 3 or 4 days to dry and shouldn't be overcoated until it is dry. Suppliers that are protective of their product's reputation will provide proper training and on-site technical advice. I found STO to be very good at this and when you are rendering 4 - 5mm thick you need all the help you can get!

you can buy accelerators now such as parex accel dry that you add to the render, thus reducing the need for sheeting up, an acrylic render dries depending on moisture in the air, so this time of year when it could be 70% moisture it will help your cause.
but I take you point on cleaning up.

you can buy accelerators now such as parex accel dry that you add to the render, thus reducing the need for sheeting up, an acrylic render dries depending on moisture in the air, so this time of year when it could be 70% moisture it will help your cause.
but I take you point on cleaning up.

You can buy winter finish also "express texture" can be used at zero degres ans will stand minus temps overnight

Prefer not to use the likes of armat that take days to cure in the colder months, one bad days weather after two days on the wall can still come out in the job - its krends product.
seen wthrby done and sit fine for two days but then on the second night a frost has fallen and covered the whole area in efflorescence - also krends product

P.S. never clean up = mask properly. its the only way

You can buy winter finish also "express texture" can be used at zero degres ans will stand minus temps overnight

Prefer not to use the likes of armat that take days to cure in the colder months, one bad days weather after two days on the wall can still come out in the job - its krends product.
seen wthrby done and sit fine for two days but then on the second night a frost has fallen and covered the whole area in efflorescence - also krends product

P.S. never clean up = mask properly. its the only way

have you used parex accel john?

its good stuff, sets the render hard in about 6 hours as long as its applied plus 4 deg

We were using it and it still made bugger all difference because we were hand applying it, site agents in for a shock on the job were on when it comes to the outsides you can't get on site till 8 and he wants everyone off at 430 :RpS_lol:

Never used accel tend not 2bother used express a few timmes tho. we dont do a great deal in the ice like lol .....

Render systems has been on about sorting some training out, dont know when though, defo thinking about going to SAS for some training, shame its fooking miles away in exeter......:RpS_cursing:

I have been on the SAS course. There is a B&B in the village which they recommend. £50 or less without brecky. Their Rapid float is nice to use in the cold. 3hr set @ 6c and light and creamy to use.

I have been on the SAS course. There is a B&B in the village which they recommend. £50 or less without brecky. Their Rapid float is nice to use in the cold. 3hr set @ 6c and light and creamy to use.
Was it a worth while course rigsby?? av been looking at the courses they offer and the EIFS, Prorend render and prorend advance seem to be the ones i wanna do, dont know if its a bit of an overkill doing all three though........:RpS_confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.