acrylic render job

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

plasterjfe

Private Member
looked at a job today that has been started but the builder has stopped the guy half way through and had to kick him off the job, he was cheap but my word what a mess, base is knackered and the bits of texturing that had been started is also rough. gonna have to go over all the building with a base/mesh coat and the texture over the whole thing. Costly mistake

every tom and dik is onto the coloured renders now - not sure why tho they aint even making money on it and ruining peoples property in the process is a discrace. where do they get the nerve to "practice" on peoples homes ? ?

Is that the Norm John. I have been to see one that needs re doing and was told i could adhesive a thin coat straight over to get it all flat then re texture

because he told me what he was charging him plus i know loads of chancers in the northwest who dont know what to do that are working on systems for peanuts, it seems the principal contractors and the industry have it this way and are happy with sub standard - building game all over.

Is that the Norm John. I have been to see one that needs re doing and was told i could adhesive a thin coat straight over to get it all flat then re texture

Yes -the finish being protective is repellant so a polymer base is needed with mesh but I am also going to pin the mesh back

because he told me what he was charging him plus i know loads of chancers in the northwest who dont know what to do that are working on systems for peanuts, it seems the principal contractors and the industry have it this way and are happy with sub standard - building game all over.

we see loads like this pal,
mono work,thin coat acrylic ,thermal. my next two projects are repairing other cowboys bodge ups, so many about and they dont have a clue what they are doing.
with out beng big headed i turn at least 2- 3 projects a week down that are ours if we want them,due to either poor terms and conditions or because of low money in the job, luckerly i can afford to pick and choose, due to us having a half decent reputation.

If you can render to a high standard I don't see any problem with having a go on a customers house. The guys who **** it up probably take on to big an area and don't research the product or have any training.

I did a course at gold trowel for my K Rend, then took on a very small extension. Personally I found it a lot easier than sand and cement, but wouldn't take on large areas unless I had a gang that were competent.

If you can render to a high standard I don't see any problem with having a go on a customers house. The guys who **** it up probably take on to big an area and don't research the product or have any training.

I did a course at gold trowel for my K Rend, then took on a very small extension. Personally I found it a lot easier than sand and cement, but wouldn't take on large areas unless I had a gang that were competent.

Agree mate but were not talking about people who are good plasterers trying something new, we are talking people who should be far away from a trowel as possible. Krend is easier than SC but thin coats are easily messed up, you only get one chance to get a perfect finish imo

John I got put straight on a job never even seen the stuff before and left alone to get on with it, speaks volumes

Surely its more down to the people who are teaching you, if you work for a bloke who doesnt really know what he's doing and he's showing you and your getting kicked off jobs then what chance do you have of learning the correct way of doing it.

Did anyone ever notice at one point I was asking shitloads of questions on thin coat an insulated render on here lol

Surely its more down to the people who are teaching you, if you work for a bloke who doesnt really know what he's doing and he's showing you and your getting kicked off jobs then what chance do you have of learning the correct way of doing it.

Dont think they are being taught on sites, drylining firms just bring anyone in to man the jobs and the lads are on price so they just go for the smash the teaching is missing,

Personally I don't think you get enough info from the manufacturers. Ask K Rend Technical a question about application and they haven't got a clue, only interested in sales. More detailed instructions, videos online etc would help.

Weber did a great job with there tiling and rendering books just wish some of the others would follow suit.

Dont think they are being taught on sites, drylining firms just bring anyone in to man the jobs and the lads are on price so they just go for the smash the teaching is missing,

i would argue that the company that produces the render system should take the time to show a broad spectrum of plasterers nationwide how to use it. Its better for them because more people use the system and you would raise the standard of the finished job. I dont know any training venues in the North that do it, its all down the south so your relying on a small percentage of people in the north showing poeple how to use it and from your post only a handfull of people can apply it correctly

i got thrown in the deep end by a builder. that webber on a house in rainford he said this stuff is easy to apply and scratch off
a lot off builders think thay can do it and **** it up i tried it small area pulled it off only just by askin advice from few lads at colourend. deffo 2n1 gang for that and plenty ov experiance never again stick 2 skimming untill i learn with a gang ,i think all cowboy builder,s should be shot rippin hard workin pepole off the money

Personally I don't think you get enough info from the manufacturers. Ask K Rend Technical a question about application and they haven't got a clue, only interested in sales. More detailed instructions, videos online etc would help.

Weber did a great job with there tiling and rendering books just wish some of the others would follow suit.

most manufactores give you loads of nformation Parex and sto are very good.
why would they endorse any detailed videos etc online, if anything went wrong you could turn around and say well i followed it online, its experience you want not courses or books, you will learn working with a machne gang, not sat at a desk

most manufactores give you loads of nformation Parex and sto are very good.
why would they endorse any detailed videos etc online, if anything went wrong you could turn around and say well i followed it online, its experience you want not courses or books, you will learn working with a machne gang, not sat at a desk

Where did the machine gang learn?

Having done K-rend and Jub we found both very easy to deal with even on the first time of using. If you have a good knowledge and are a confident trade plasterer you should have no problem transfering from traditional render to the new coloured renders.
Good traditional render is actually quite hard to do (to get it to look good) especially in a cross light and using the correct wash sand rather than building sand as many trades do.

Any more queries please email: jasper@tylermereplastering.co.uk

I dont fully agree that it is down to the manufactureres to teach people how to do a job, the job is a trade itself that should be learnt the same way as any other you start out at the bottom an gradually gain experiance and qualifications.
I wouldnt go round fitting windows and then saying well pilkington glass never told me how to fit it properly

I would struggle to think of any company who manufacture products purely to sell to an industry and then say they will train people up time served to do the job - there would be no dole que, imagine. they simply cannot afford to that, the back up and support is a guide as with anything - its down to the skill of the installer to pull the job off.

IMO :RpS_biggrin:

You can be technically the best spread in the would but without knowledge of the products you are using are useless. And that knowledge is usually gained from manufacturers short courses, sitting behind a desk reading data sheets etc.

Whos Moe?

You can be technically the best spread in the would but without knowledge of the products you are using are useless. And that knowledge is usually gained from manufacturers short courses, sitting behind a desk reading data sheets etc.

Whos Moe?

That may be the case in this day and age for people with a coursers mentality but there is no better way or should that read no substitute to learning anything new than working with those that already use a system in the real world conditions. The trouble is everyone seems to want everything instantly nowadays, real knowledge and experience have to be gained over time.

That may be the case in this day and age for people with a coursers mentality but there is no better way or should that read no substitute to learning anything new than working with those that already use a system in the real world conditions. The trouble is everyone seems to want everything instantly nowadays, real knowledge and experience have to be gained over time.

just what i was saying.

Totally agree andy, but i feel its a catch 22 problem,How do you get the knowledge, i know about 10 spreads in Newcastle and not one of them has used an acrylic system, but we can all render, so because ive got no one to pass on some knowledge and show me how to use it correctly do i wing it and have a go and hope i dont make an arse of it, or spend some cash and go to parex or SAS in exeter for a couple of one day courses . Can i learn enough in one day?? probably unlikely. But these cowboys seem to be watching a youtube vid on various render systems and fooking up peoples houses and getting away with it. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.