"A handfull of lime"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopSpread

Right lads, i went to price a job up today, probably the weirdest customer of my life. He wants a lot of work doing on the house so seems a good job, all to be boarded etc etc but he doesnt want square angles, he wants them beat up abit and all over the place. Fair play, customer always right blah blah UNTIL he says hes spoke to someone whos put an idea in his head about "lime plastering but at less price". He wants me to mix "a handfull or so" of lime in with my skim and hope it dries like a lime finish, like a lighter/whiter colour to skim. what the F*@#?

Has anyone ever heard of/done this?

well i think that depends on the final color. he said hes hoping it would turn an "off white/creamy" with the lime in

a spreadmate of mine who was taught by his uncle has told me how his uncle insisted on a handfull of lime in each batch of finish he had mixed cos he reckoned it made it spread better! would imagine you would need lots of lime in to make it change colour that drastically though. If it's float and set why not go for one coat plaster that dries a white colour.

Lime will surely slow the mix down in finish but was thinking if he wanted a Matt white creamy finish I would use Knauf mp finish just an idea

just go around the job in that grainy one coat! few flaten ins and one coat.... job done, he ll love it.

iv done a few jobs like that where they wanted the "lime " finish look.

a spreadmate of mine who was taught by his uncle has told me how his uncle insisted on a handfull of lime in each batch of finish he had mixed cos he reckoned it made it spread better! would imagine you would need lots of lime in to make it change colour that drastically though. If it's float and set why not go for one coat plaster that dries a white colour.
When i started in 86 the old blokes i worked with always put a handful of lime in the board finish .Now that was pain full when you got a dollop in the old mince pie.

Status
Not open for further replies.