9inch solid walls

Smg

Hi all
Little bit of advice required.
9 inch solid external facing wall /walls
House built in 1935, no evidence of damp or moisture on the brickwork. Obvs as you can see in image the old sand cement render just fell off as I was stripping the old paper. Anything that did stay put quickly came away with a scraper.
Now my question is.
Is Insulated board the way to go via dot and dab.
Or completely stud the wall out and insulate then board.
I know it can be battened with timber but the walls are so far out of plumb it would be a headache of a job.
Also I'm aware of standard plasterboard stuck to the brick is not good with cold bridging on dab spots ect.
I'm going to be living here for many years so I want to go at it the right way from the off.
Sand and cement is an option but it's generally a cold house so wanted to combat that also with insulation .
(Property is not externally rendered either)
Thanks for any advice in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20210127_153931.jpg
    IMG_20210127_153931.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 237
Ditto Raggles, with a big bag of kitchen levelling shims. Otherwise you're going to look at it for years, thinkin' I cud hav

Hi all
House built in 1935, no evidence of damp or moisture on the brickwork. Obvs as you can see in image the old sand cement render just fell off as I was stripping the old paper. Anything that did stay put quickly came away with a scraper.
Now my question is.
I know it can be battened with timber but the walls are so far out of plumb it would be a headache of a job.
Also I'm aware of standard plasterboard stuck to the brick is not good with cold bridging on dab spots ect.
I'm going to be living here for many years so I want to go at it the right way from the off.
Sand and cement is an option but it's generally a cold house so wanted to combat that also with insulation .
@Casper

Hi all
Now my question is.
Insulate externally it’s far superior, and wet plaster the internal.

you’re welcome

Insulate externally it’s far superior, and wet plaster the internal.

you’re welcome
££££££££££££££.
I dotted mine and had no prob since. Used to have condensation running down wall. Doing em external as well now

I’ve dabbed IPB on my house, but downstairs I put a waterproof sand and cement scratch coat on bottom half first.

Ideally you should be putting on 50mm insulation so a 62.5mm IPB. They are a PITA to get flat if you’re dabbing, and usually end up bonding them flat. If you set nice plumb battens then you’ll save time later, and tbf, prob a better job. Already mechanically fixed too.

Reactions: Smg
oh yes, they have been laid stretcher bond, if 9" they would have been laid English bond.

a 4.5" wall would be a single course party wall . The pic is an exterior facing wall of a 3 bedroom detached house . Defo 9" thick no cavity.. The 4.5" party walls are laid exactly the same. "stretcher bond". Not really what I was asking though lol.

View attachment 58316same wall, look at top course. Either way joke's aside still 9 inches of brick, no cav

the top corse of brickwork is the method used to seal a cavity before the wall plate is fitted.
have you fitted the sheet of plasterboard with the bonded edges spanning the joists? from your pic it looks like you have gone with the joists.

the top corse of brickwork is the method used to seal a cavity before the wall plate is fitted.
have you fitted the sheet of plasterboard with the bonded edges spanning the joists? from your pic it looks like you have gone with the joists.

I have strapped the timber joist with 3x1 timber perpendicular to joist and ran the boards with the straps. The wall its self has got literally nothing between the brick coarses, can physically see this as same wall has had a chimney removed at some point and they have left a load of botched brick work near the ceiling and just covered this over with what ever they had lying about. I'm in process of rectifying this now. My original point was about dot and dabbing straight onto this though. I dont want to go doing work that's going to end up failing later on. I've now got insulated boarding now and will probably batten the wall out just to be safe.