3 Spreads

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeD

Private Member
I've had 3 spreads on with me over the last week all have left rough work...yesterday I was so f**ked off.

This is what happened...

Asked the lad to mix a 4.1.1 up while I prepped the wall. Went back down mix ready in buckets...looked at the cement bag, still cement in it, asked him what gauge he had done, he wasn't sure. Can u believe that? then got pissey with me when I said I wanted it back in the mixer.

Both the lads start getting in a strop about the scaffolding height...nothing wrong with it.

I labour for the lads for the day checking the work as I go, stand back and notice the angles are all out on the bellcasts above the windows, so ask them to sort it. One of them throws a tantrum saying why don't you do it all you have been doing is standing around all day (which is b*ll***s) etc etc while the customer is stood in the garden.

I told them when they were laying on that I wanted the margin on the front door frame to be equal all the way up...when they layed it on I noticed it was out (should have been sorted at this stage) pulled them up on it and he said he would sort when floating...which he didn't. It looked terrible right at eye level as you entered the house, so i had to sort that

Then I was floating up helping them out and there were some big hollows in the wall...I was filling them and floating and the lad comes up to me and says ill sort that with a sponge...basically leaving a massive hollow and smoothing it out with a sponge

Then to top it all off went back today to mask up for tyrolean and above the front door where the house joins the extension the line up was not plumb with a big hollow.

Bad times! bummed out there mate with yr blokes. Quality is king on domestic. Whatever happened to your only as good as your last job. Was always drummed into us as apprentices.

They were all recommendations from other builders etc

While they were working they were saying sh*t like if I could get out of this trade tmw I would etc etc

Alarm bells were ringing at that point.

To many people out their just don't give a f**k.

quick acid test I use, I just say knock me a mix up and watch, you know if they have any experience within the 1st 2 mins.

Sounds like you had the 3 stooges on your job. Like I say there is plasterers and there is so called plasterers.:RpS_thumbup:

If I need a hand on a job I just get another Self Employed bloke in, at least they usually have the motivation to leave a tidy job :RpS_thumbup:

Becoming increasingly harder to find good lads, ive had blokes in the past give me the.....being doing this 20 years speach and ther works ruff as, my labourer skims better.

Well I've had dozens of self employed spreads start for me over the years and many have been dog rough, not that they all realised it, well until I pointed it out.
we are all rough compaired to u andy we just havent realised it yet or we just cant see it because off the light from ur halow

I hear you Andy, but that's why I said they 'usually' have the motivation to leave a tidy job and in my opinion are better than those who are just happy to do their 40 hours and pick up a wage :RpS_thumbup:

i was at work yesterday and had the apprentice with me we got 4 bags on and halfway thru the gauge he fucks off to 'have a chat with his pal' so i wentup to grab him 5 minutes later as he hadnt come back and there he is sitting on his arse eating a sarnie.......... i fcukiing blew my top telling him to get back down there and finish his set to which he told me bollox so i said to him you stay here and i will finish it on my own so off i went to finish my set and his i must have done 3/4 of the set when he came back and i said 'collect your tools and go work with your pal as he is so special' the next thing i knew he ****** a bucket of water at me all over my walls then squared upto me saying he helped me out etc etc etc......... i wouldnt have minded if he actually left his work neat but ******* hell i had to scrape down all his internals brush everything in........... then at the end of the day opnce he had calmed down he came into me saying that i was in the wrong for giving him a bollocking for having somet to eat when he was only away for 20 minutes!!!!

i later found out that he has been with the firm im subbing to for 4 years and been in college for 2 years............. now after that long on site you should know that most important thing is the plaster on the walls and not the 'rumbley in your tumbley' and i mean even the labourer that i had on with me for the 2 days i needed him asked if he could have a bite to eat and he was scraping the floor cleaning up and he came to me and said and i quote ' the kitchen is clean i have swept up the hallway but you havent finished in there yet so no point scraping i have loaded out for the next mix do you mind if i have a sandwich please' and i thought to myself if he can do that after 2 days why cant some1 who has been in the job for 4 years have some pride and look after his little gauge instead of his belly

RANT OVER

we are all rough compaired to u andy we just havent realised it yet or we just cant see it because off the light from ur halow

I certainly don't have a halo but I always try to leave a decent job. To balance things from my previous post I've also had some half tidy and just a few really good spreads work for me, one of whom was an Irish guy who was on the cards and paid a day work rate. He was not only a really good spread but hard working and a bloody good laugh to boot. My loss and Irelands gain when he decided to go back home to Kerry.

i was at work yesterday and had the apprentice with me we got 4 bags on and halfway thru the gauge he fucks off to 'have a chat with his pal' so i wentup to grab him 5 minutes later as he hadnt come back and there he is sitting on his arse eating a sarnie.......... i fcukiing blew my top telling him to get back down there and finish his set to which he told me bollox so i said to him you stay here and i will finish it on my own so off i went to finish my set and his i must have done 3/4 of the set when he came back and i said 'collect your tools and go work with your pal as he is so special' the next thing i knew he ****** a bucket of water at me all over my walls then squared upto me saying he helped me out etc etc etc......... i wouldnt have minded if he actually left his work neat but ******* hell i had to scrape down all his internals brush everything in........... then at the end of the day opnce he had calmed down he came into me saying that i was in the wrong for giving him a bollocking for having somet to eat when he was only away for 20 minutes!!!!i later found out that he has been with the firm im subbing to for 4 years and been in college for 2 years............. now after that long on site you should know that most important thing is the plaster on the walls and not the 'rumbley in your tumbley' and i mean even the labourer that i had on with me for the 2 days i needed him asked if he could have a bite to eat and he was scraping the floor cleaning up and he came to me and said and i quote ' the kitchen is clean i have swept up the hallway but you havent finished in there yet so no point scraping i have loaded out for the next mix do you mind if i have a sandwich please' and i thought to myself if he can do that after 2 days why cant some1 who has been in the job for 4 years have some pride and look after his little gauge instead of his bellyRANT OVER
You should have dropped him

i was at work yesterday and had the apprentice with me we got 4 bags on and halfway thru the gauge he fucks off to 'have a chat with his pal' so i wentup to grab him 5 minutes later as he hadnt come back and there he is sitting on his arse eating a sarnie.......... i fcukiing blew my top telling him to get back down there and finish his set to which he told me bollox so i said to him you stay here and i will finish it on my own so off i went to finish my set and his i must have done 3/4 of the set when he came back and i said 'collect your tools and go work with your pal as he is so special' the next thing i knew he ****** a bucket of water at me all over my walls then squared upto me saying he helped me out etc etc etc......... i wouldnt have minded if he actually left his work neat but ******* hell i had to scrape down all his internals brush everything in........... then at the end of the day opnce he had calmed down he came into me saying that i was in the wrong for giving him a bollocking for having somet to eat when he was only away for 20 minutes!!!!

i later found out that he has been with the firm im subbing to for 4 years and been in college for 2 years............. now after that long on site you should know that most important thing is the plaster on the walls and not the 'rumbley in your tumbley' and i mean even the labourer that i had on with me for the 2 days i needed him asked if he could have a bite to eat and he was scraping the floor cleaning up and he came to me and said and i quote ' the kitchen is clean i have swept up the hallway but you havent finished in there yet so no point scraping i have loaded out for the next mix do you mind if i have a sandwich please' and i thought to myself if he can do that after 2 days why cant some1 who has been in the job for 4 years have some pride and look after his little gauge instead of his belly

RANT OVER
if u let him away with that even once.should have kicked him in the balls.he cant be very clever squared up to you and you have a razor sharp trowel in your hand

2 things annoy me the most about my labourer. He'll go for a sarnie just before we mix up. Where as once its on you've got plenty of time to have some food. Also it annoys me that he'll have his dinner the same amount of time as me then I'll get up to work but he'll spend. 10mins havin a fag

2 things annoy me the most about my labourer. He'll go for a sarnie just before we mix up. Where as once its on you've got plenty of time to have some food. Also it annoys me that he'll have his dinner the same amount of time as me then I'll get up to work but he'll spend. 10mins havin a fag
Who's in charge him or you?

Doesn't actually work for me dm. Works for the company I sub to. I'd happily work on my tod but I hate cleaning up and loading the van

no matter what anyone says a good labourer is hard to find beddy you sound like you're working too hard mate if you're on for the same bloke, go self employed get some price work in ya then you'll no if you're labs worth his salt because he won't have a choice

I am self employed dave. Subbing to an insurance firm and they give me a lab to do all the dirty work. Whenever I do my own work I don't use him, I just get another spread in if need be. Its job n knock with these so its no big deal but your right if it was price work he'd be ******, takes him 5 mins to mix a bucket

Doesn't actually work for me dm. Works for the company I sub to. I'd happily work on my tod but I hate cleaning up and loading the van
Ah I see, don't know what it is about labourers in general, all they seem to be bothered about is their bellies-even when I tell them if we get such and such done then we can have an early finish(and still get paid full wage).

The lab I had before I went self employed was a good lad. Always material loaded up before me and cleaned up at the back of me. Only ate when I ate, or had a sarnie in one hand while cleaning. Never moaned once bout working late or at the weekends, all for min wage and to be treated like s**t. Would take him back in a heartbeat

if u let him away with that even once.should have kicked him in the balls.he cant be very clever squared up to you and you have a razor sharp trowel in your hand

its ok he enjoyed his journey home dunno how he got home but we was working 60 odd miles from his house.......... i doubt he will be giving me any more attitude

I am self employed dave. Subbing to an insurance firm and they give me a lab to do all the dirty work. Whenever I do my own work I don't use him, I just get another spread in if need be. Its job n knock with these so its no big deal but your right if it was price work he'd be ******, takes him 5 mins to mix a bucket
Get out on site you puff it's picking up **** the insurance work

The lab I had before I went self employed was a good lad. Always material loaded up before me and cleaned up at the back of me. Only ate when I ate, or had a sarnie in one hand while cleaning. Never moaned once bout working late or at the weekends, all for min wage and to be treated like s**t. Would take him back in a heartbeat

I fooking bet you would, he probably wouldn't work with you though after treating him like that.

After being treated like a cu'nt when i was labouring, I swore to myself that I'd never treat anyone working with me like that....and i haven't and wont.

We pay our labourers very well and treat them with respect and they respect us, work hard, listen and learn.

I fooking bet you would, he probably wouldn't work with you though after treating him like that.

After being treated like a cu'nt when i was labouring, I swore to myself that I'd never treat anyone working with me like that....and i haven't and wont.

We pay our labourers very well and treat them with respect and they respect us, work hard, listen and learn.

if your labourer is like that send him my way i need some1 full time thats gonna do all of that!!!

Before I went self employed. Therefore he worked with the company I was with. It was my boss(his cousin) who paid him and treated him like s**t. Hes still with him now and I doubt he would leave. I'm trying to old my current lab into him. He's one messy fuckka tho

Status
Not open for further replies.