Members online

OldHouseIreland

74E16832-11AA-47A4-AFE7-1AD0EDFF92DC.jpeg
Ok, so……

The house is built from stone and lime mortar around 1880. The exterior walls are plastered with an extremely hard cement render, which I will not be removing as it’s listed and there are lovely moulded features.

The interior is mostly lime plaster which I have removed, there are however patches of cement plaster inside, down low where there was signs of previous damp issues due to high ground level behind, I have not yet broke that off. Should I? The house is built on solid rock, but I did notice a small gathering of water under the floor when I dug it up, the floor was replaced with radon barrier, 150mm insulation and a 6 inch slab. There was a bad problem of dry rot due to a leaky roof, so I replaced the roof, all windows and doors, took all timber out of the walls.

My question is:

What interior insulation can I use that is cost effective? Because of the cement finish outside, lime is useless as it won’t breath? Can I dry line it with a 4 inch cavity and an insulated slab? Should I vent the cavity?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 7072CD2E-084B-4802-8DC3-BF06F6BD6346.jpeg
    7072CD2E-084B-4802-8DC3-BF06F6BD6346.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 136
View attachment 70698Ok, so……

The house is built from stone and lime mortar around 1880. The exterior walls are plastered with an extremely hard cement render, which I will not be removing as it’s listed and there are lovely moulded features.

The interior is mostly lime plaster which I have removed, there are however patches of cement plaster inside, down low where there was signs of previous damp issues due to high ground level behind, I have not yet broke that off. Should I? The house is built on solid rock, but I did notice a small gathering of water under the floor when I dug it up, the floor was replaced with radon barrier, 150mm insulation and a 6 inch slab. There was a bad problem of dry rot due to a leaky roof, so I replaced the roof, all windows and doors, took all timber out of the walls.

My question is:

What interior insulation can I use that is cost effective? Because of the cement finish outside, lime is useless as it won’t breath? Can I dry line it with a 4 inch cavity and an insulated slab? Should I vent the cavity?

Thanks!
How have you been able to carry out the work you have so far if it's listed?
You need to be asking the listings people how they think you should proceed, not us.

My question is:

My answer is.

It’s only the facade that is listed, I can do as I please inside. Thanks for your stupid comment though.

How’s that a stupid comment? , the only stupid cunnt is u, nothing is cost effective on a money pit plot like that looooool
A fully grown man using “loooool” and the irony of someone called Ritch using a question mark, followed by a space followed by a random comma followed by a lower case “t” calling someone stupid. Thanks for your help Ritch. Looooool

Just get some Cotina and Anaglypta, or push the boat out and get some Super Fresco. That’ll be fine.

A fully grown man using “loooool” and the irony of someone called Ritch using a question mark, followed by a space followed by a random comma followed by a lower case “t” calling someone stupid. Thanks for your help Ritch. Looooool
U sound like my old English teacher, a right boring cunnt jog on u cheap ass. Old saying pay nice not twice. look it up in the English dictionary it’s under cheap ass blagger asking dumb ass questions looooool

U sound like my old English teacher, a right boring cunnt jog on u cheap ass. Old saying pay nice not twice. look it up in the English dictionary it’s under cheap ass blagger asking dumb ass questions looooool
Your old English teacher obviously wasn’t very good or else he just concentrated on the intelligent kids and neglected the ones who would go on to spell c**t with two “n”s.

We've been saying that for years, unfortunately he has never listened.
In answer to your question, use what is exceptable in your area, your local council building control will tell you what the standards are.

We've been saying that for years, unfortunately he has never listened.
In answer to your question, use what is exceptable in your area, your local council building control will tell you what the standards are.
Kind of the same advice that Andrew gave then?

Looooooool :inocente:

Having been involved with the listings department with my cottage I'm at a loss to understand, how a cement facade on a 140 year old property has been listed, when it would have originally had a lime facade? My understanding is that they're only interested in 'listing' properties that are as they were originally built, or with very few and/or minor changes. Well that's what the listings officer told me.

Having been involved with the listings department with my cottage I'm at a loss to understand, how a cement facade on a 140 year old property has been listed, when it would have originally had a lime facade? My understanding is that they're only interested in 'listing' properties that are as they were originally built, or with very few and/or minor changes. Well that's what the listings officer told me.
The exact term here in Ireland is that it’s “listed on the architectural inventory of Ireland”. As part of the planning process I had to use hard wood sash windows as they all needed replacing and use natural slate, terracotta ridge tiles and to keep the exterior render as it has unique details like shamrocks etc over the top floor window. The inside is not affected.