rates

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
only love :RpS_scared::RpS_wub:------ there is no such thing as owt for nowt --------and the famous how much:RpS_laugh::RpS_lol: but unfortunately no pft machines for free

So are you saying pft set up a forum just to get up some interest in there machines :RpS_scared:? Ive been in this trade for months so dont talk shite to me

So are you saying pft set up a forum just to get up some interest in there machines :RpS_scared:? Ive been in this trade for months so dont talk shite to me

hi church my comments were tongue in cheek (joke) regarding the northern lads, perhaps you should take a chill pill and relax --- i was trying to lighten the mood :RpS_thumbsup: i never mentioned pft setting up a forum - dont no where you got that idea from

The L&D forum was for renderers and anything to do with rendering. No plastering or drylining.

Les who ran it was neutral in his opinions of anyone and there was among its members plenty of machine talk even though I didnt have one until near the time the forum ended. But it was that talk that introduced me to my monojet.

So it was run by PFT Northern? So what? The forum was the best we had at the time. Ran by an enthusiast of the trade. Plenty of them on here.

hi church my comments were tongue in cheek (joke) regarding the northern lads, perhaps you should take a chill pill and relax --- i was trying to lighten the mood :RpS_thumbsup: i never mentioned pft setting up a forum - dont no where you got that idea from
my reply was also tougue in cheek perhaps you should take a anti chill pill

The L&D forum was for renderers and anything to do with rendering. No plastering or drylining.

Les who ran it was neutral in his opinions of anyone and there was among its members plenty of machine talk even though I didnt have one until near the time the forum ended. But it was that talk that introduced me to my monojet.

So it was run by PFT Northern? So what? The forum was the best we had at the time. Ran by an enthusiast of the trade. Plenty of them on here.

plenty of something on here

some chancers on here but you get them in all walks of life, and lads that talk a good game.

I agree with rigsby, but coming on here openly and asking about rates is poor, we all know why, some people are just naive, some customers dig too deep on the net and end up seeing £2.50 m2 and try and price the jobs up themselves.

im going to disagree with rigsby on this one, but the 'how too' crowd that we get on here really piss me off, Iv no problem with tips of the trade, discussions on product and gear, but it's when people come on asking 'how to finish mono' 'how to do this and how to do that' which we do get on a regular basis.

if I ever had a query or wanted to get into certain aspects of the trade more, I'd go out and put myself out there like I did with the renders, I'd pay to go on training courses and learn different techniques and differing products available, if I have any queries regarding works I speak to the reps, then you've got the info straight from the horses mouths, when you become friendly with reps they will happily tell you average prices for certain renders, and keep you up to date with new products.

for the life of me I wouldn't come on here scratching about for second hand information to help me scrape through a job that I haven't got the info, skill or experience to complete.

Also I'd like to add, it has started to become like a dick measuring competition on here.

people pretending to be things they are not, I earn this, I earn that, iv got 4 lads but he's got 5, proper BS and tiring to read.

we all spread **** on wall and make it flat for a living.

It's worth remembering that rates are only part of the story. By which I mean that a BMW 1 series is £20k and a Ford Fiesta is £10k, so one company is charging double what the other is and doing quite well. Even though they both sell the same thing, a small car.

Remember that ad phrase for Stella? "Reassuringly expensive". People will pay a premium for anything as long as they believe they are getting value for the extra.

I can't/won't compete on price as there are too many engaged in a race to the bottom. Eastern European labour, cheap materials, poor fit and finish, corners cut, no/low/wrong insurance etc. etc. all allow me to be undercut as I don't use or do any of them. However, I will compete with anyone one quality, professionalism and customer service and charge accordingly.

I have no idea what other builders charge, and frankly my dear, I don't give a damn. I know what I need to earn to cover everything, make a living and run the business and that's what I charge. Up to now it's working fine and I've kept busy, so it can't be too bad a strategy.

Speaking generally, and aimed at no one in particular, but sometimes tradesmen just don't get it. They turn up to look at a job in a shagged out van with no sign writing or company name on it. Wander in to talk to the customer swearing like a trooper, scratching their knackers and pulling their boxers out of their 4rse through one of a range of holes in their jeans. Meanwhile the remains of their breakfast is proudly displayed on their souvenir 'T' shirt with it's amusing sexual suggestion. They write nothing down, and either give a guesstimate there and then or email/text some nonsense that looks like it was written by Forest Gump on an off day. Then they moan to anyone who'll listen that it's not fair and the country's going to sh1t etc. because their rates are too low and no one will pay more.

They will pay more, but only for the right product or service. Fiesta or 1 Series? :RpS_unsure:

Customer told me to day to my face at the start of the job that I was very expensive (charging £200 a day), now they have offered me more work, very cheeky never had that before!

Customer told me to day to my face at the start of the job that I was very expensive (charging £200 a day), now they have offered me more work, very cheeky never had that before!
I thought you earned £300 a day, or was that adcar?

For what it's worth, any tradesman who puts in a decent days work to a high standard should be coming home with £200 a day for his trouble.

I thought you earned £300 a day, or was that adcar?

For what it's worth, any tradesman who puts in a decent days work to a high standard should be coming home with £200 a day for his trouble.

Wez sometimes you make me feel like I've got a split personality?!?

Boollox stop whinging... like me over 20 years into it .....its the life you chose.

Get on with it.

Your nuts talking about rates, you don't get any other profession talking about it.
if your in the game, you know what money's about with out going on a forum and asking.
Richard why are you so paranoid about talking rates you always say you've got you're own builders that won't use anyone else

The point is that most of us are self employed and work in a free market , we are free to charge as much as we like for a job and the client is free to accept or decline that price .

The point is that most of us are self employed and work in a free market , we are free to charge as much as we like for a job and the client is free to accept or decline that price .

i agree with what you are saying , but self employment has gone wrong somewhere in modern days , everyone is working for a wage these days with no thought into the future , all i will say is earning 120 a day will not provide a good enough pension , or will it buy you a new van when its needed , that will have come out of your very small profit margin , and i wont go in to time off or holidays !! it does not add up .

I just don't think it's wise to talk about the rates on an open forum, just go In the private bit and away you go.

Church you are right ,the whole world is ****** up at the moment and things are changing so fast it feels hard to keep up and if we use our trade as a example just look at the way things have gone ,low wages, every ones having a go in one form or another . while there are people willing to work for beer and fag money and don't give two shits about things it will never change .I feel that the good times have gone and its just a dog eat dog situation . Self employment was a good thing when it first started but the way its going every body will have to be self employed soon, just look a zero hours contracts ,people think they are a new thing but as i keep saying i have been on them since going self employed 25 years ago, no work no pay and always some one willing to do it cheeper and faster.

i agree with what you are saying , but self employment has gone wrong somewhere in modern days , everyone is working for a wage these days with no thought into the future , all i will say is earning 120 a day will not provide a good enough pension , or will it buy you a new van when its needed , that will have come out of your very small profit margin , and i wont go in to time off or holidays !! it does not add up .

Or a mortgage which is what I have found out over the last 2 years

£200 you will break even. £300 a day you can save, afford to take a holiday etc

Or a mortgage which is what I have found out over the last 2 years

very true , wait till you have 3 kids :RpS_scared: around my way 100 - 120 is the norm for a day rate but ive heard of lower , and i love the guy who has " walls skimmed from £ 20 all over his van , i just cant think why u would do that , its beyond me , , ive been charging builders 150 for over 15 years now and i price my domestic work at 175 - 200 , sorry to talk rates

150 a day is low ..unless your getting picked up and only have your halk and trowel to worry about.
150 less 20%....then less fuel.

Never mind insurance clothes tools breakdowns phones etc etc.

The problem is with all these agency's putting folk on hourly wages and contractors screwing folk to the floor it makes the public think plasterings a cheap trade when they go looking for a rough idea on what things cost and most of those take it as gospel ,also if someone working in a factory on 300 a week they will begrudge giving you that a day as they think your taking the piss they don't realise the ins and outs of things running costs etc I get a fair few around this way that think a living room will only cost around the 300 mark all in I can see it in their faces when I quote them I've even had folks say well it's only a fiver a bag but they don't realise the skill that's involved in it and they ain't bothered if you can't pay your bills or struggle to save they just want a job doing and doing for next to nothing!

very true , wait till you have 3 kids :RpS_scared: around my way 100 - 120 is the norm for a day rate but ive heard of lower , and i love the guy who has " walls skimmed from £ 20 all over his van , i just cant think why u would do that , its beyond me , , ive been charging builders 150 for over 15 years now and i price my domestic work at 175 - 200 , sorry to talk rates

These guys that charge cheap rates don't last long eventually they get pissed off with slaving away for peanuts and leave a sh*te job and lose there reputations if they ever had one

The problem is with all these agency's putting folk on hourly wages and contractors screwing folk to the floor it makes the public think plasterings a cheap trade when they go looking for a rough idea on what things cost and most of those take it as gospel ,also if someone working in a factory on 300 a week they will begrudge giving you that a day as they think your taking the piss they don't realise the ins and outs of things running costs etc I get a fair few around this way that think a living room will only cost around the 300 mark all in I can see it in their faces when I quote them I've even had folks say well it's only a fiver a bag but they don't realise the skill that's involved in it and they ain't bothered if you can't pay your bills or struggle to save they just want a job doing and doing for next to nothing!

Agree 100%

these same people want to pay you "cash" but stand in the pub moaning about tax dodging and benifit scroungers

the same people who don't care your insured until you drag your mixer down the side of their bmw, or you ruin their cream carpet.

they want the champagne service for lemonade money.

1 day I will snap with someone, I have done in the past with a customer who booked me and continued to get quotes and cancelled me "we've got someone cheaper" my reply "why the fook have you booked me and carried on getting quotes"

but 1 day I will ask someone straight out what the fook they think I owe them, I don't know the majority of ***** I price work for so why would I "sort you out"

the guys who work cheap will be fitting a bath tomorrow, then laying a patio on Tuesday.

Its ok saying 200 a day.. try getting that round here... you would become an avid jeremy kyle fan... you certainly wouldnt be in work.. thats how it is.. I diversified into the housing rental market.. and other aspects of the building trade, along with plastering as my main job, no way can you earn that amount up here... mac will say the same I would imagine

I don't work on day rate, I block price for individual jobs, too many variants in this game to tie yourself to a day rate, but yeah, £200.00 per day would be pushing your luck on internal work around here.

unless someone is giving me a steady flow of work (at least a 2 months) I wouldn't entertain "day rate" as this job has too many different aspects, especially domestics.

exactly beddy... you price a job on how long it will take x what you want a day ( day rate ) plus mats.. so of course you have a day rate.. if you block book ( whats that by the way ? ) you would still be multiplying the days by what you want each day, so its the same thing...
I live and work in one of the nicest areas in Sheffield, and I can tell you, theres no chance getting 200 every single day. odd job yes, but not in general.... its all relevant however to the lads down south, we arent paying 600k for a terraced house..lol

Status
Not open for further replies.