minimum wage

Members online

No members online now.
Parasite middle men / agencies are the problem and employers etc using them so they can just use humans like low paid slaves , its got much much much worse since agencies kicked in and the american style card systems were sold for a tender to american companies so we can be taxed via endless cscs card updates and shite , its b*ll***s the uk , utter b*ll***s............

I like it :) we need more of the same , rest of us going around in a daze!

Been discussing this proposed minimum wage today.
If it happens I might throw my tools in the nearest skip and f**k off to Sainsburys.

£80 plus twenty something? Paid holiday days, a pension and sick pay.
Probably be better off.

Sites around our way are paying about £136 a day on day rate (if you can get it). On domestics you are lucky to get over £120.
It's garbage.

I've blamed the area in the past but now there are loads of one man bands working out of their estate cars after doing a two week skimming course. You can't compete with their low prices on domestics.
The trade has been diluted down so much it seems anybody is having a go.

Been discussing this proposed minimum wage today.
If it happens I might throw my tools in the nearest skip and f**k off to Sainsburys.

£80 plus twenty something? Paid holiday days, a pension and sick pay.
Probably be better off.

Sites around our way are paying about £136 a day on day rate (if you can get it). On domestics you are lucky to get over £120.
It's garbage.

I've blamed the area in the past but now there are loads of one man bands working out of their estate cars after doing a two week skimming course. You can't compete with their low prices on domestics.
The trade has been diluted down so much it seems anybody is having a go.
Notts, I live in notts as I take it you do from your name and 120 on domestics is absolute bollox, if that's what your getting you dont know how to talk to people. I know another chap who lives right next to notts @Vincey and know for a fact he's no where near120 a day and neither am i

I was labouring for a chippy today (fitting big heavy worktops) and I got more than that without even asking....
Kitchen worktop suppliers usually charge around £60 per mitre cut.
So if a joiner is doing supply, cut and fit it's good money.
Kitchen fitting has always been expensive to the customer.

Kitchen worktop suppliers usually charge around £60 per mitre cut.
So if a joiner is doing supply, cut and fit it's good money.
Kitchen fitting has always been expensive to the customer.

these were not your standard worktops in a standard kitchen....

Notts, I live in notts as I take it you do from your name and 120 on domestics is absolute bollox, if that's what your getting you dont know how to talk to people. I know another chap who lives right next to notts @Vincey and know for a fact he's no where near120 a day and neither am i
Haha, thank you.

I'm talking more Mansfield area. The rates are better in Nottingham city and more affluent areas.
We fair better with recommendations but if you end up on places like mybuilder it's difficult.

Which areas are you working in?

these were not your standard worktops in a standard kitchen....
Well there you go then.
Were they granite? Hardwood?

I fitted standard kitchens for 5 years on social housing and we were getting £120 per kitchen, that was 12 years ago. The small kitchens would take you half a day, the units were made up and worktops pre mitred.

Well there you go then.
Were they granite? Hardwood?

I fitted standard kitchens for 5 years on social housing and we were getting £120 per kitchen, that was 12 years ago. The small kitchens would take you half a day, the units were made up and worktops pre mitred.

nope these were some compressed cotton work tops... weighed a tonne :D The house was a few million :D but still...

Haha, thank you.

I'm talking more Mansfield area. The rates are better in Nottingham city and more affluent areas.
We fair better with recommendations but if you end up on places like mybuilder it's difficult.

im sutton in ashfield although your right i do venture towards notts a fair bit

Haha, thank you.

Simple.. dont bother trying to get work on housing estates where £120 is seen as a lot of money... go where the money is

im sutton in ashfield although your right i do venture towards notts a fair bit
I'm from Sutton as well.

In reply to both posts...

We have started to try to avoid known shitholes and estates, but when you need to fill gaps in your diary they seem unavoidable.
It's easy to fall into that mindset though we're you try to quote fairly for the less privileged customer and before you know it you are underpricing yourself on other jobs.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm from Sutton as well.

In reply to both posts...

We have started to try to avoid known shitholes and estates, but when you need to fill gaps in your diary they seem unavoidable.
It's easy to fall into that mindset though we're you try to quote fairly for the less privileged customer and before you know it you are underpricing yourself on other jobs.

Thanks for the replies.

Ah good :D It will turn out all right in the end :D When I use to say a price I use to make it it was nothing it will only be £600 and say it in a flippant way :D made a lot of difference :D

Its ok putting in a big price or day rate but you should also have a look at how people are living,put your self in their shoes for a few minutes and price the job according to what you see around you,eg car,tidiness of the house or garden,health of the customers and their age,might be living on a pension or benefits.Dont make the mistake of thinking this is just a one off job,could be lots more work to do in the future and everyone have relatives or friends and neighbors,they all want to see what they have had done and how much it cost,only as good as your last job!!!!!!
Also correct in saying there are far too many of these pretend plasterers,they should admit to any customers how long they have been plastering,qualification,experience,and not use there homes as a training ground to try to enhance their plasterer skills.you would complain if your school or college were employing staff unqualified and unchecked.

Its ok putting in a big price or day rate but you should also have a look at how people are living,put your self in their shoes for a few minutes and price the job according to what you see around you,eg car,tidiness of the house or garden,health of the customers and their age,might be living on a pension or benefits.Dont make the mistake of thinking this is just a one off job,could be lots more work to do in the future and everyone have relatives or friends and neighbors,they all want to see what they have had done and how much it cost,only as good as your last job!!!!!!
Also correct in saying there are far too many of these pretend plasterers,they should admit to any customers how long they have been plastering,qualification,experience,and not use there homes as a training ground to try to enhance their plasterer skills.you would complain if your school or college were employing staff unqualified and unchecked.
Why would you price jobs differently by looking at the clients wealth? A pint of milk cost the same for all of us, regardless you on benefits or taking money to offshore accounts.

It was also giving a bit of advice of how to raise awareness of yourself as a local plasterer who would quote a price which was reflective of the customers ability to pay,using your own experience to assess the situation and price according,would rather work for a everyday working family who always pay you on the same day than someone who make you feel you are some poor sap who needs their money,are never in to pay you and you end up having to chase them for it,nothing worse than having your phone calls ignored is there.

It was also giving a bit of advice of how to raise awareness of yourself as a local plasterer who would quote a price which was reflective of the customers ability to pay,using your own experience to assess the situation and price according,would rather work for a everyday working family who always pay you on the same day than someone who make you feel you are some poor sap who needs their money,are never in to pay you and you end up having to chase them for it,nothing worse than having your phone calls ignored is there.
That's just always the way unfortunately, more you got the less likely you want to give it away

True,
That's just always the way unfortunately, more you got the less likely you want to give it away
I have no motivation to save when I'm skint, but I do when I have a. Bit in the bank. Motivates me more to save lol.

I do actually what Andy said, I try to be fair if I see customers are struggling, but at the same time I'm not running a charity.

I went to quote a top panel on a ex council semi, it had scabby looking wet dash on it and they wanted a flat finish, sand and cement.
There was a lean-to canopy across the bottom bay window and front door so it needed scaffold.
They wanted a price to chop off, move the rubbish and render.
I measured up and said I'd work a quote out and get back to them. The bloke says can't you give us a rough idea, I said well I ts going to be over £1,000, he starts sucking air through his teeth and his missus was shaking her head.
I actually laughed, couldn't help myself it was so comical, and then I asked if the estimate was too high.
He says try halving it :LOL:
So I explained £500 would cover the scaffold and skip and not much else, maybe the beads.
They said we'll leave it then.

Some people are on another planet.

You need to charge more Notts, your same little town as me and that's not what I charge, your selling yourself short

You need to charge more Notts, your same little town as me and that's not what I charge, your selling yourself short

if i charged for example a grand for a weeks work and it went into the following week.....id end up loosing heart and think i havnt charged enough and leave the extra days not as good as the start.
so i charge 2 grand to be on the safe side.

i hope this makes sense.

I do actually what Andy said, I try to be fair if I see customers are struggling, but at the same time I'm not running a charity.

I went to quote a top panel on a ex council semi, it had scabby looking wet dash on it and they wanted a flat finish, sand and cement.
There was a lean-to canopy across the bottom bay window and front door so it needed scaffold.
They wanted a price to chop off, move the rubbish and render.
I measured up and said I'd work a quote out and get back to them. The bloke says can't you give us a rough idea, I said well I ts going to be over £1,000, he starts sucking air through his teeth and his missus was shaking her head.
I actually laughed, couldn't help myself it was so comical, and then I asked if the estimate was too high.
He says try halving it :LOL:
So I explained £500 would cover the scaffold and skip and not much else, maybe the beads.
They said we'll leave it then.

Some people are on another planet.
If you would've said 500 quid they would still sucking on their teeth saying it's dear

if i charged for example a grand for a weeks work and it went into the following week.....id end up loosing heart and think i havnt charged enough and leave the extra days not as good as the start.
so i charge 2 grand to be on the safe side.

i hope this makes sense.
Yeah I've learnt to give wiggle room.....always say 4-5 days etc....then they work your day rate out they use 5 while you know you'll finish in 4

Yeah I've learnt to give wiggle room.....always say 4-5 days etc....then they work your day rate out they use 5 while you know you'll finish in 4

thats in your head lodan ....who gives a f**k what they think.
the next qoute could be 4 times as long for 4 times the price.
i just skimmed a house for £2400 for a builder in 7 days and found out today when i finished he paid £450 a day for 3 lads that took 4 weeks to skim the same house next door.
a massive diffrence mate...and i subbed it off someone else !!

thats in your head lodan ....who gives a f**k what they think.
the next qoute could be 4 times as long for 4 times the price.
i just skimmed a house for £2400 for a builder in 7 days and found out today when i finished he paid £450 a day for 3 lads that took 4 weeks to skim the same house next door.
a massive diffrence mate...and i subbed it off someone else !!

Think builders pulling your leg pal that would make it 9k to skim a house apose to 2400 unless I've just done my maths wrong???

Think builders pulling your leg pal that would make it 9k to skim a house apose to 2400 unless I've just done my maths wrong???

he could of been sir.........his lads also told me the same.
he built 2 neighbouring houses both sold @£450000 each.
i bet he made half a mill.

he could of been sir.........his lads also told me the same.
he built 2 neighbouring houses both sold @£450000 each.
i bet he made half a mill.

Tbf if I was building houses I'd be I right hypocritic and screw every tradesmen down!

I'd be a right horrible bawstard! Lol