minimum wage

Members online

Simple question I'm response to the argument that if wages increase then living costs will rise.

Wages have decreased or stayed stagnant for years yet the cost of living has soared.
Hows that fit into those arguments?

Whose wages have gone down?

Whose wages have gone down?
Lots of mens wages here went well down in the recession. Only last few years got it back up to what is was beforehand, but of course everything is much dearer with the cost of Living increases.

Lots of mens wages here went well down in the recession. Only last few years got it back up to what is was beforehand, but of course everything is much dearer with the cost of Living increases.

Who's money went down ?

Who's money went down ?
Lots of mens wages here. There were men here in the heart of the recession working for 70 a day, before tax for a while. Lots of firms paid tradesmen 60 a day home just too for a long time. Maybe the bosses of these outfits were milking it. But because there was so little work here everyone undercut the f**k out each other and mens wages were cut to shreds. I've said before an old boss of mine has out Plastering back 10years at least here, for he was one the worst for it and paying s**t wages when it went tits up,driving rates n wages down. Upside is now there is plenty about, not many will work for him. Also it's worth mentioning,there isn't the same market for domestic as there is with you men,most here is site based, domestics usually homers on the side.

I've been out of the game for years.
What I've been offered recently is what I was on in the 80s ffs.
Apart for a few years in the boom, plasterers are working for rates we got 30 years ago!

With the skills and years of learning added to the body wrecking hard work, should a working man not be on a wage that reflects that?
Or maybe a few quid over minimum wage is good enough?

I've been out of the game for years.
What I've been offered recently is what I was on in the 80s ffs.
Apart for a few years in the boom, plasterers are working for rates we got 30 years ago!

With the skills and years of learning added to the body wrecking hard work, should a working man not be on a wage that reflects that?
Or maybe a few quid over minimum wage is good enough?
Well I've only been in it from mid 2000s,but average wage now is what the "employed" men were getting when I was serving my time and labourers wage is still the same from then (although it had dropped for a while in the heart of recession). For the strain on body at least, we should be fairly well compensated. Not treated like c**ts.

I was told in recession times by a few that contacted me when I laughed at they wanted to pay 110 a day that I was lucky to be offered that

Had a few pints tonight am half cut.i was earning more twenty years ago than I am now.The reason why plasterers earn s**t money is because of plasterers.Figure the rest out yourself.(this is directed at no one in particular).

If a lot of so called spreads stopped under cutting each other than the customer would have no choice but to pay what is asked. Everything seams to increase in price except my day rate especially when I'm working for tight arse builders. (Which is as little as i can). It's been the same for at least the last 10 years, that ain't right!! Other trades have increased their prices and we work the hardest out of the lot!!

Lots of mens wages here. There were men here in the heart of the recession working for 70 a day, before tax for a while. Lots of firms paid tradesmen 60 a day home just too for a long time. Maybe the bosses of these outfits were milking it. But because there was so little work here everyone undercut the f**k out each other and mens wages were cut to shreds. I've said before an old boss of mine has out Plastering back 10years at least here, for he was one the worst for it and paying s**t wages when it went tits up,driving rates n wages down. Upside is now there is plenty about, not many will work for him. Also it's worth mentioning,there isn't the same market for domestic as there is with you men,most here is site based, domestics usually homers on the side.

We are talking minimum wage on the books, so who's wages went down, please don't say some men again lol

I have been invited to apply for this job. Full time plastering on the books for a damp firm.
a91628cf38dde935bb5243b97529849c.jpg

They kept advertising it locally so I emailed them my cv and asked what the salary was.

For a 40hr week 8-5 with an unpaid lunch hour. It's like £13.90 an hour. Which puts overtime to £21 ish.

If anyone's interested I'll pass on the details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are talking minimum wage on the books, so who's wages went down, please don't say some men again lol
I wasn't talking about paye, although I know of one small Plastering firm had 3men on the cards, their wages got cut, and apparently still not paying great. You say for me to say who, I'm not naming people's names directly on the Internet. I know they got wages cut coz one of the 3 left, went self employed and ended up in the gang I was in for a while. And he said what his wages were cut to, think they were cut twice in midst recession, only went up once again(still to less than they were) I don't know if that's ones to do it or not..... But the likes of Joe public working in shops/factories etc and all I'd say they just got freezes etc not cuts.

I've never cut wages and the like.
I think there's a few different arguments going on here, big business i.e. Plc's are not comparable with small business it's economies of scale, and the north s nothing like the south in relation to overheads. £10 an hour is a decent wage in working class areas of the north but in London and the Home Counties it's nothing., it's all relative I guess.

Reactions: Adz
It's a strange thing with spreads there's all ways a race to the bottom, you don't really get that with other trades, undercutting and the like.

Maybe its a fair point to ask whos wages went down on PAYE.
Therefore it highlights the lunacy of Self-Employment if your working for a contractor.

A few things is we have liability insurance , van insurance , fuel , running costs , advertising , no holiday pay , no sick pay , no pension , no guarantee of work and on and on.

there is a job a post above which is about what i was on PAYE , say £15 an hour with all the benefits listed above, around £120 top line.

I think that indicates a change with self-employment working for a contractor/builder (which i think is a con anyways)
Ive a mate works direct to a builder , year in / year out , van livery etc and SE but on the wrong rate.
If PAYE are all getting say £15PH with all the benefits then i cant see many wanting to be self employed working direct.

It's a strange thing with spreads there's all ways a race to the bottom, you don't really get that with other trades, undercutting and the like.
Seen a blokes ad "will beat any quote" so that's what you're up against lol

Maybe its a fair point to ask whos wages went down on PAYE.
Therefore it highlights the lunacy of Self-Employment if your working for a contractor.

A few things is we have liability insurance , van insurance , fuel , running costs , advertising , no holiday pay , no sick pay , no pension , no guarantee of work and on and on.

there is a job a post above which is about what i was on PAYE , say £15 an hour with all the benefits listed above, around £120 top line.

I think that indicates a change with self-employment working for a contractor/builder (which i think is a con anyways)
Ive a mate works direct to a builder , year in / year out , van livery etc and SE but on the wrong rate.
If PAYE are all getting say £15PH with all the benefits then i cant see many wanting to be self employed working direct.

I turned that job away. I'm on the same sort a money as they offered.

I will never go self employed. At 5 I down tools and go home forgetting work till the next morning.

Obviously it works for some but it's not for me

I wasn't talking about paye, although I know of one small Plastering firm had 3men on the cards, their wages got cut, and apparently still not paying great. You say for me to say who, I'm not naming people's names directly on the Internet. I know they got wages cut coz one of the 3 left, went self employed and ended up in the gang I was in for a while. And he said what his wages were cut to, think they were cut twice in midst recession, only went up once again(still to less than they were) I don't know if that's ones to do it or not..... But the likes of Joe public working in shops/factories etc and all I'd say they just got freezes etc not cuts.

This thread is about paye though lol

I think that's because any old numpty thinks they can pick up a trowel and have a go...idiots charging next to nothing for beer money...coursers and chancers.
Then there's 'skimmers'.

Real spreads who board, skim, rough out and render are losing out.

I think that's because any old numpty thinks they can pick up a trowel and have a go...idiots charging next to nothing for beer money...coursers and chancers.
Then there's 'skimmers'.

Real spreads who board, skim, rough out and render are losing out.
You do get that with other trades mind look how many rough roofers are about or plumbers. I guess it's how you advertise your self or put your self scross to attract the better end of the market.
If your attracting the bottom end of the market there just looking for the Cheapest quote, you can't change that mentality.
Recently I got a decorator in to paint our lounge and kitchen, ( I hate decorating and don't have the time) I got a few different outfits to come and have a gander and price it. One turned up smelling of booze in tracksuit bottoms I kid you not, after being recomended, the other was professional was 400 quid dearer, I got the latter in to do it.

paye
Suits some peeps

just making some one else's dreams
become a reality!
ive found some like the security, the regular wage etc, I can't see anything wrong with that if that's what they want. I dont make much off mine, it's more a means to an end, cogs in the machine.

ive found some like the security, the regular wage etc, I can't see anything wrong with that if that's what they want. I dont make much off mine, it's more a means to an end, cogs in the machine.

That's me happy on paye. Taking the holiday pension etc.

Reactions: gps
From what I've been quoted self employed, PAYE is a no brainer, esp if young, mortgage and kids.
Works a dawdle too.
I was always against it but looks a better option at the minute for some.
Self employed works a treat when your direct to client, no arguing that.
I've went back full time and need builders to fill the gaps, what they are offering is way off the mark and its annoying me.
If i could get used to the clocking in and management I'd go for it.
Lifetime of working for yourself makes it almost impossible

Indeed we are all different
If you want to be successful with your own business Its not a 9 to 5
&,switch off lol

Had a few pints tonight am half cut.i was earning more twenty years ago than I am now.The reason why plasterers earn s**t money is because of plasterers.Figure the rest out yourself.(this is directed at no one in particular).

To be fair nicm, it isnt as black and whie like this. The public are hard to get decent money out of and here, were just only gettig back on our feet after a bastarding recession! During it, i know top class plasterrs who where working for 75euro a day ontop of their dole. It was the only way to survive

To be fair nicm, it isnt as black and whie like this. The public are hard to get decent money out of and here, were just only gettig back on our feet after a bastarding recession! During it, i know top class plasterrs who where working for 75euro a day ontop of their dole. It was the only way to survive
It is though, have a gander at those plasterers Facebook pages and you will see that it is self inflicted. I was told I was a con man becuase I thought £5/600 for a living room was fair whereas I was told it should be in the region of £250. You'd never hear plumbers and sparks having a conversation like that amongst themselves

It is though, have a gander at those plasterers Facebook pages and you will see that it is self inflicted. I was told I was a con man becuase I thought £5/600 for a living room was fair whereas I was told it should be in the region of £250. You'd never hear plumbers and sparks having a conversation like that amongst themselves

Surely it's size dependant though ?

That Facebook is wild! I had to delete myself from the stone/brick laying sites became every time someone posted a pic, they where all shot down left/right and centre.

Where do we all draw the line thou in pricing, because one man could need more than the other. I agree, we should all be on great money because what we've to go through mentally and physically, however there's some out there who looking at a job and if they price high, they know they'll lose it, and that means no pints at the wknd or new panties for the misses.

Personally, Ive started to put my rates up because have so much work on. I got a job a month or 2 back and I was honestly thinking, s**t I'm robbing this one here because it was looking like I was pulling a nice earner at the end if it. Turns out the men I had on it, cost me a large chunk of my profit. If I had two of the men I've had with me in the past, I'd have cleaned up with a lovely profit. But if that was the case, the client could look at how long it took us, calculate our days spent and could have said I robbed him. Like saying, how can you justify (this price is just for an example!) 650 euro a day for 4 weeks work.

I had another job aswell just recently where it was priced decent but again, the men I had on it cost me some of my profit :(

That Facebook is wild! I had to delete myself from the stone/brick laying sites became every time someone posted a pic, they where all shot down left/right and centre.

Where do we all draw the line thou in pricing, because one man could need more than the other. I agree, we should all be on great money because what we've to go through mentally and physically, however there's some out there who looking at a job and if they price high, they know they'll lose it, and that means no pints at the wknd or new panties for the misses.

Personally, Ive started to put my rates up because have so much work on. I got a job a month or 2 back and I was honestly thinking, s**t I'm robbing this one here because it was looking like I was pulling a nice earner at the end if it. Turns out the men I had on it, cost me a large chunk of my profit. If I had two of the men I've had with me in the past, I'd have cleaned up with a lovely profit. But if that was the case, the client could look at how long it took us, calculate our days spent and could have said I robbed him. Like saying, how can you justify (this price is just for an example!) 650 euro a day for 4 weeks work.

i suppose its tuff tittie for the client ....its up to them to get a few quotes.
as for facebook ....its absolute shiite.
it reminds me of getting my hair cut in this small town.
everyone gossiping about everyones business because nothing is goin there way.

id ignore the lads slagging each other...there worse than woman.

i suppose its tuff tittie for the client ....its up to them to get a few quotes.
as for facebook ....its absolute shiite.
it reminds me of getting my hair cut in this small town.
everyone gossiping about everyones business because nothing is goin there way.

id ignore the lads slagging each other...there worse than woman.

Yeah I agree! Upto them to get different prices and choose whoever does it. Its like paying messi to kick a ball or some amateur player. That's how I see it. Both demand different wages