Hello. Genuine Plasterers?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

builderray

Hello boys. I'm Ray from Plaistow. I am not a plasterer but a General Builder. My usual plasterer started to quote me stupid money so I needed to find a new one.I just wanted to ask how many of you are real plasterers? I have had two so called plasterers in the last week who could didn't have a clue what they were doing. I seriously could have done better work myself. That's the truth. One "didn't do" floating. The other was like a rabbit in the headlights. This is not a dig at all of you. I am just interested. If any "real" plasterers want ongoing work contact me.

Hello boys. I'm Ray from Plaistow. I am not a plasterer but a General Builder. My usual plasterer started to quote me stupid money so I needed to find a new one.I just wanted to ask how many of you are real plasterers? I have had two so called plasterers in the last week who could didn't have a clue what they were doing. I seriously could have done better work myself. That's the truth. One "didn't do" floating. The other was like a rabbit in the headlights. This is not a dig at all of you. I am just interested. If any "real" plasterers want ongoing work contact me.
only problem with your question is you want a plasterer who charges chancers money ?
the answer to your question is yes but!!!
a plasterer also knows how to price up work ,good luck in your search and prices are going up after the recession and everyone who is good are busy and pricing accordingly

I hears builders are charging clients 240 pounds a day in london for plasterers for daywork dunno how true that is, lot more money around there.

I hears builders are charging clients 240 pounds a day in london for plasterers for daywork dunno how true that is, lot more money around there.
Been in London recently and with digs fuel and my wage the client paid more than that for me for the day so wouldn't be surprised if it was considerably more than that figure.

I'm just up the road from you in Ilford mate. I charge reasonable rates but all the builders tell me they can get East Europeans for £100 a day less.
It's the champagne or lemonade test

Okay boys. Thanks for all the replys. I paid him a lot more than a hundred a day. Let's say double that. My point was about there being so many pretenders out there who are not proper plasterers. None of you have addressed that I see.

"Real plasterers" charge "real money" the problem isn't a lack of good plasterers it's your lack of willingness to pay "real plasterers" a realistic rate. Try this, have a look how much a brand new scoda is online then walk in to your local Mercedes garage and try and buy the same spec car. won't be possible....point made. (Hopefully)

You can pick a spread up for £60 I think on the A5 cricklewood selco, there's hundreds of them there every morning.

I charge £120 on day rate but it's hard to say what I charge on price work because it depends on room size

Don't won't to beat my own drum or be a big head but all my work is top notch and I leave a job clean and tidy

You can pick a spread up for £60 I think on the A5 cricklewood selco, there's hundreds of them there every morning.

Same outside Wickes in Barking. "I am plasterman" they tell me as I load up in the morning. I just look at their trowels, normally brand new and not broken in and their cordless drill with the kind of whisk I use for unibond

Supply and demand.
Your plasterer who you think is charging "stupid" money is probably finding himself busy and has to adjust his pricing to allow for that.
At a guess he was probably underselling himself when demand was low , now that trades are again in demand with a shortage of "real" skills then he is right to adjust his rates.

I understand also where you are coming from but if you consider the obvious drop in quality in a finish for the client then you are damaging your own reputation and add to that the stress and cost of substandard workers.
IMO your in a false economy.
You will probably get lucky and get a decent plasterer in the coming weeks but they will follow the money too shortly after.

But all irrelevant as we aren't privy to what the "stupid" increase was :)
Also being a plasterers forum i doubt you will get much sympathy for trying to get quality work for monkey prices

I tend to think that them 100-130 quid a day spreads in London just an illusion for the builders, whenever a builder phones me that his usual spread is too busy or a gonner cos this and that, I think they just trying it on.

I'm just up the road from you in Ilford mate.

Did a sports centre in Ilford 10 years ago, is it still standing??

I used to do all a certain builder's work up until about 2 years ago, when he went for a cheaper option, was no hard feelings.
A house he did in the winter was pulled to bits by the client and he asked me to go up and put it right.
What he saved in those 2 years was probably lost on that one house, alongside the sub standard work the plasterer had left in the previous two years risking his name.
Phoned me last week to price a house for him, I think the penny dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.