Advertising bad practise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool I'm going out the other side of Canterbury to a little.village called ayleshame. **** the big smoke its full of wankers

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using The Plasterers Forum mobile app

Cool I'm going out the other side of Canterbury to a little.village called ayleshame. **** the big smoke its full of wankers

i know it mate , not to far from me , we will have to meet up and have a beer and a moan

I've got plenty to moan about, my life is in melt down mode at the moment. Hoping 2014 brings some stability :)

i know it mate , not to far from me , we will have to meet up and have a beer and a moan

You guys done a house in the last few years in Tunstall near sittingbourne?

I've got plenty to moan about, my life is in melt down mode at the moment. Hoping 2014 brings some stability :)

It will sort itself out , have you got much booked in for the New Year

I've got a airless job in reading to finish and then some bits in the pipe line but nothing concrete. I was going away for a long term job but things at home with her and the little one have been strained. Also owed 24k which ant helping :(

I've got a airless job in reading to finish and then some bits in the pipe line but nothing concrete. I was going away for a long term job but things at home with her and the little one have been strained. Also owed 24k which ant helping :(

If you get stuck Pm me ,i will help out if i can

Thanks mate will do. I'm gonna be working by my self next year a lot more. The old man is 60 and can't be bothered with it all anymore ( seems like a lot of good spreads think that!)

I would never work on site. Worked in houses when I first finished college with other trades in. Hated it. I imagine site is much worse.

All the best mate

I am doing jobs a bit cheaper than most but I'm still living at home and don't have a mrs or kids so I can afford to. I'm more interested in getting experience and collecting some photos and references. I'm definitely not crippling myself.

I think that's really good advice what you said about 70% I will always remember that.

have you got a bike & trailer mate? :RpS_unsure:

I read a thread about a guy with a bike and a trailer.
No I have a vauxhall vectra. Can't afford a van and a car. The vectra is great. Fits ladders INSIDE. All my gear. 3m beads. That bike and trailer business is quite funny. I wouldn't know what to think if I was the customer but fair play to him. He came on here and wasn't ashamed to say it and I hope he's doing well

Ryan you need a van, you are running about in a car doing jobs cheaper than everyone else. You are everything that's wrong with plastering at the moment and the folk with vans, insurances, staff etc can't compete with you.

a van is a part of your tool collection and part of your business, turning up in a car doesn't look professional imho, its shouts newbie/chancer to me and most customers ,on domestics first impressions count then how much you will do for free!:RpS_lol:

Have to agree.... although I do do jobs in the car but tyey are for people who know me or recommended and they already know I am a chancer :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Plasterers Forum mobile app

When r u in Reading, i work there regular, would be good to meet up.

Got to start somewhere mate, I used a car for my first 2 years, still got plenty of work! It's you that sells it initially, through confidence.
A van will come in time.

Jeff...well said! I don't have to rely on a van to say oo I'm a plasterer. My mate has been plastering for 8 years and he hasn't got a van. At my age insurance is still very high and if I have a van...I have 2 seats...I had a van before and it didn't suit my out of working hours...also what bird wants to go on a date in a van? None. I have to do what's best for me. Tbf as well I've not been to a customers house yet where they are peering out to the road to see what veichle I drive.
Any cowboy can buy a van.

Ryan you get more work when you're in your van than you do your car. I might be just going to do the estimate in my car. If they asked do I have a van is just say yes anyway. By the time they realise im not in a van on Monday morning it's too late...I'm hired and on the job.
I can sell myself to a person. You obviously can't and just say oh but I have a van so I'm the best plasterer in town.

I won't be getting a van for at least a year. At the
minute I'm seeing no negatives apart from keeping it clean.
im not lazy so I don't have a problem cleaning my tools and keeping the car quite clean.
What bird is gonna look in my boot on a date? Unless it goes very badly of course

I see where you are coming from Curry. The only new work I liked was new housing but very competitive and only the young, fit and stupid could do them at the rates offered. I was young, fit but came to my senses. Domestic plastering was dead then, everyone was artexing. Not like now with re-skims.

I could not get on with moaning house wives complaining about the muck and not wanting me starting until the kids was out of the way. Rendering it was for me. Out doors and out of the way. Just so seasonal and weather dependent.

This post has reminded me of when I started? I left a paye job to go self employed right in the the middle of the worst recession since the 30,s. 23 and looking younger. I got a job April through to November working for a building Co doing Coal Board subsidense work on private houses. They kept me busy 5 days a week for 8 months of the year. I had to supply my own van and all the equipment needed. pick up materials on their account and arrange my own work. It involved working in peoples houses, moving furniture and re-newing ceilings. I got paid £2m2 for what was supply & fix but without the cost of materials. 60 miles a day in my Viva HA van at 35mpg.

Whilst working for them I would be working for small builders at night and weekends building up a portfolio of builder clients. After 3 years of their NCB work I had enough little builders to go independent and left the builder who kept me busy for work 81-84. The tight sods could not get anyone to replace me so they employed a plasterer on paye and supplied him with a van, everything. I was also fortunate to have a spread available 3 days a week to work for or with me to keep the builders happy when I had more work than I could cope with.

So a bit of an idea if you struggle? Subby for another spread or company until you have enough contacts to fill a week in.

Jeff...well said! I don't have to rely on a van to say oo I'm a plasterer. My mate has been plastering for 8 years and he hasn't got a van. At my age insurance is still very high and if I have a van...I have 2 seats...I had a van before and it didn't suit my out of working hours...also what bird wants to go on a date in a van? None. I have to do what's best for me. Tbf as well I've not been to a customers house yet where they are peering out to the road to see what veichle I drive.
Any cowboy can buy a van.

Put your prices up and you'd be able to afford a van and insurance like every one else you fanny. I think your an existing member on here who has set up another account as your posts are bonkers.

Calm down. Insulting me on the internet haha.
I only started on my own a month ago...put my prices up?
Just calm down. Afford a van like everyone else....even though people have already said they don't use a van. Thick as pig ****.
Ps I'm not going to argue over the internet so get a life.

Just looked at your post history. Seems you've been struggling work wise for a while now....even with your van. Is this why you're trying to pick on me because you can't make it work?
Saw you saying stuff like oo if I can't make it work then I'm going to do something else.

Just because you're useless at selling yourself doesn't mean you have to come on here being jealous of people doing well.

If your only looking at running one vehicle why not look at a crew cab pickup, just about enough room in the back for hand tools, and some back seats to thrash your bird on.

Get a land rover defender!! Cheaper to insure and run than a van and looks the dogs no**ocks too :RpS_thumbup:

Calm down. Insulting me on the internet haha.
I only started on my own a month ago...put my prices up?
Just calm down. Afford a van like everyone else....even though people have already said they don't use a van. Thick as pig ****.
Ps I'm not going to argue over the internet so get a life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Put your prices up and you'd be able to afford a van and insurance like every one else you fanny. I think your an existing member on here who has set up another account as your posts are bonkers.

Easy mate, the guys only been going a month. It's not that easy just to get a van, finance isn't easily available like it once was. It's going to take him time to build up his business, then when he can afford to, I'm sure he will get a van.

Luke, make sure you let us all know when you get a van ;)

Just looked at your post history. Seems you've been struggling work wise for a while now....even with your van. Is this why you're trying to pick on me because you can't make it work?
Saw you saying stuff like oo if I can't make it work then I'm going to do something else.

Just because you're useless at selling yourself doesn't mean you have to come on here being jealous of people doing well.

No been struggling work wise, struggling to get paid for large jobs. Big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.