Advertising bad practise

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

luke105

I have just come across a plasterer advertising on that site that sounds like a sticky tree.

My gripe is that he is listing prices.
Example: small room £xxx medium room £xxx

Do you think this is really bad practice? As I use the site to advertise myself I feel his ridiculously low price examples are going to affect me.

What are people's views?

Gumtree

this is the ad. He actually lives very close to me it seems.
He mentions his prices but we all know every job is different...radiators, skirting etc etc

well im glad he dose not live close to me,, his timings are about right, hes just happy to work for a low day rate

There's one by me charges 80 per day labour then charges customers 15 quId per bag of finish.

I'm using The Plasterers Forum Mobile App

And yes it will affect u as everyonewill call him.

Na just go round to his house pull his pants down and dry bum him while dousing him in petrrol and as soon as you've chucked her muck throw a lit match at him wishing him a good day as you pull your pants back up calmly walking away . job done :RpS_thumbup:

There's one by me charges 80 per day labour then charges customers 15 quId per bag of finish.

he can't be much cop tho Windy?? surely those rates can't pay unless your not paying tax etc??:RpS_confused:

Really glad people are replying.

yeh he is obviously tax dodging. I have reported it to gumtree so hopefully they might see it as bad.
I have just emailed him asking if these prices include materials.

Really glad people are replying.

yeh he is obviously tax dodging. I have reported it to gumtree so hopefully they might see it as bad.
I have just emailed him asking if these prices include materials.

Just see if he gets back to you ? in ANY trade cheap doesn't mean a good job !!? he may just use the cheap rates to get the enquiries then go to the job and point out that's an extra and that's an extra etc and before you know it he's charging a grand a room!? :RpS_mad:

There are people around here who will work for 50/60 @ day :(

Yeh I did think that it's just a way to get his foot in the door. He has one photo of some skimming that's probably in his own house and looks rough as Harris holes.
I will will just have to spice up my advertising I think. Such a shame he can't stick by the spreads etiquette

Someone txt me the other day saying they'd had a quote to plaster 2 walls in a bedroom....60 quid including materials. He was still shopping around?!?!?

There are people around here who will work for 50/60 @ day :(

I pay the boy that kind of money and he's in his first year training !! the work must be cr"p for that??

theres normally a reason the people working for such low rates its cause there **** or chancers

where ever in the country u live there will always be some one going in with stupid prices just how the trades gone with all theses stupid week long colledge coarses

I spent 2 years at college getting qualifications. I'd say I'm pretty good really and got better in the real world.
I can't believe that in 1 week you can call yourself a plasterer.

Yeh I did think that it's just a way to get his foot in the door. He has one photo of some skimming that's probably in his own house and looks rough as Harris holes.
I will will just have to spice up my advertising I think. Such a shame he can't stick by the spreads etiquette

I just hope its the case of what I said in my other reply and yes its a proper tw*TS trick!! there was a thread on here about somebody undercutting etc and one of the lads suggested to ring the HMRC and grass him up?? I can't see him being legit can you??

60 a day is 1200 a month for a five day week. Assume he's on dole.so no rent or council tax. Kids grown up. Happy days

its not right is it @windy ?? and no chance of them being time served either!? and they get away with it :RpS_mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is plastering and one of the reasons I was glad to get out of it. As for the £60 and still shopping around then stuff him. Hopefully he will get a bad job done and deserve it.

This guy advertising his rates? well he can and with the right personality once through the door he can find good reasons why he will need to charge more.

In the 80,s I did artexing as it was the fashion back then. One company advertised rates which was way too cheap. But once through the door they explained that the walls would need sealing and that was extra a LOT EXTRA! cracks would need taping up and that would cost more. They got away with it and made a lot of money. Drove around in Range Rovers even back then. Their artexing was good though and they got recommendations. But they conned their way into jobs.

As for £80 a day? well they may be on benefits or their partner may be. I have a competitor who signs on every winter and always negotiates a discount cash. He is a rogue but his customers like cheap. He gets away with paperwork in exchange for cash discounts but when his work fails his customer cannot get him back or even sue him as they do not have proof.

More fool the customer and I have no sympathy.

You will always be up against these arseoles but do your job right and find decent customers and you will survive and will not need to advertise. It will take time and in that time these idiots will have gone to the wall.

This is plastering and one of the reasons I was glad to get out of it. As for the £60 and still shopping around then stuff him. Hopefully he will get a bad job done and deserve it.

This guy advertising his rates? well he can and with the right personality once through the door he can find good reasons why he will need to charge more.

In the 80,s I did artexing as it was the fashion back then. One company advertised rates which was way too cheap. But once through the door they explained that the walls would need sealing and that was extra a LOT EXTRA! cracks would need taping up and that would cost more. They got away with it and made a lot of money. Drove around in Range Rovers even back then. Their artexing was good though and they got recommendations. But they conned their way into jobs.

As for £80 a day? well they may be on benefits or their partner may be. I have a competitor who signs on every winter and always negotiates a discount cash. He is a rogue but his customers like cheap. He gets away with paperwork in exchange for cash discounts but when his work fails his customer cannot get him back or even sue him as they do not have proof.

More fool the customer and I have no sympathy.

You will always be up against these arseoles but do your job right and find decent customers and you will survive and will not need to advertise. It will take time and in that time these idiots will have gone to the wall.

Amen, Mr Rigsby :RpS_thumbup:

I would not worry about him, it's his business, there are many like him, charge your own rates, concentrate on your own business, you are the master of your own destiny, don't worry about him at all, he probably has his own reasons and his own life to lead, I have never in my plastering life worried about another's rates and I still don't, I charge plenty and make a good living and I am just an old school spread. So just look after yourself and your own..

Thanks for that. You've made me feel better. I'm 26 and just started working for myself as I was finding it difficult when I was younger (ageism) and I didn't want to work for anyone.
So here I am...all the tools, a few jobs already under my belt since starting on December the 1st. Got a friend who will do day rate work for me on bigger jobs. Got business cards and using a few online advertising sites.
Realky hope I do get to a stage where I'm not relying on advertising so much but it's early days.

at the end of the day luke most of us plasterers get our work from our good name and word of mouth,, as long as you keep turning out good work for a fair price hopefully you will see your business grow,, there are still a lot of people out there who would rather pay more for a good job if friends etc recommend someone,, good luck and hope you have a good 2014

I didn't exactly choose to start this time of year...it was to do with my old job and putting things where they didn't belong.
Anyway I have been lucky to have a flow of work and I think I can scrape through jan and feb anyway.

thanks lads I really appreciate your views

at the end of the day luke most of us plasterers get our work from our good name and word of mouth,, as long as you keep turning out good work for a fair price hopefully you will see your business grow,, there are still a lot of people out there who would rather pay more for a good job if friends etc recommend someone,, good luck and hope you have a good 2014

So true! But starting in Winter is not the best time it is shite even when you are well established. Bear this in mind as you will find demand is up in late Spring right through to Autumn then demand drops off Dec-April. Also you are in your 20,s. That is tough. Well I had it tough. I started at 23 looking 19. Really hard with age prejudice. It got better in my 30,s and not a problem in my 40,s at all. You will get the usual 'how long have you been plastering' and other comments relating to your age. Do a good honest job and you will get recommendations.

Good luck wit it.

The force is strong in you luke use the force ;-)

Thanks for that. You've made me feel better. I'm 26 and just started working for myself as I was finding it difficult when I was younger (ageism) and I didn't want to work for anyone.
So here I am...all the tools, a few jobs already under my belt since starting on December the 1st. Got a friend who will do day rate work for me on bigger jobs. Got business cards and using a few online advertising sites.
Realky hope I do get to a stage where I'm not relying on advertising so much but it's early days.

you'll be ok like said above always quiet this time of year so diffcult wen starting off

as long you leave a good job n leave jobs clean wen finished ur name will get round as being a good spread
im only 2 years older than you started plastering wen was 18 done 3 year aprentaship ad to take few years off due to illness n started back up in july this year

things started off quiet but soon feel in to place iv ad cards made up but most me jobs now are threw recommendation

I'm 26...I look my age but am a very confident person. As long as I can do 3 jobs a month during these next few months then I will survive.

Just a really off topic question but I have a job starting Monday and one of the walls has 2 doors in it. They are very close to each other and the space between the 2 frames is about 2 inch. Any suggestions what tool I can use to skim between? Anything other than the Toe or heel of my trowel?

wise words from @johniosaif there, persevere @luke105 and dont stop looking for more contacts and sources of work. never become complacent, Ive known long established tradesman that have had gaps in their workload. Maintain a professional work ethic and work will always follow work. best of luck for 2014 :RpS_thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.