Your work bench ?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

AWilson

I am just asking Fibrous Plasterers to post some pictures of their benches. That is all. If you work from home or studio this is better. Because I am thinking exactly how people cope in their shops. What dimensions are your benches and what wood are they made from? I haven't met anyone who runs moulds from home yet, but it would be interesting to know if anyone does, and how much work they get.

I would imagine the best jobs are working in shops.

Anyone know any large firms, or companies that employ a lot of staff. Again I have heard of none, I'm pretty sure the plastic stuff is done in factories in China.

All I have seen is moulds being run in college or shops.

No I am not a Fibrous Plasterer, because all I have done is running coving and casting roses from rubber moulds in college, which isnt really much compared to a full time professional. I wanted to know

What Bench do you use and whats its dimensions, and what wood (or material) is it made from.
That's all. If there is no answers, don't worry, I was just curious

im a part fibrous hand
have a bench,doesnt really matter what timber it is as long as its sturdy
i have a big sheet of marine ply about 8 ft by 3 with timber batterns fixed to it a 90 degrees,what you have to do is prime the timber and grease it up so obiously your moulds can break free from the wood.
to prime my wood i use shelac flakes mixed with meths.

its just another string to my bow i suppose,lads that work for me cant do it so i do it myself.
i dont do loads of work like this,but i do bits on larger projects that we do as an included service, ive worked on projects for the national trust in the past etc
ive got some gothic arches to run at the end of the month i might post up some pics on here.

Thanks. Thats great info.
I have a bench in my garage , its long enough, but its not wide enough, and I was just thinking of altering it, or better yet making a new one specifically for running moulds. The current one has too many cracks, dents and chips to create decent runs without the plaster running into those cracks and causing problems with releasing the mould.

Seems like unless your in an established studio its best working this trade as you do. With time on your hands and open deadlines as private work.

Thanks. Thats great info.
The current one has too many cracks, dents and chips to create decent runs without the plaster running into those cracks and causing problems with releasing the mould.

even with shellac and wax

Benches are usually made with the casting plaster, fix your timbers around the edge and fill with casting plaster strengthend with hessien and just rule of the timbers so you can make as big as you like and coz its not wood it doesnt really shrink or warp and like whats been said shellak over the top :)

depending on the size of jobs you are doing you could use a 3m length of kitchen worktop, in a fibour shop they frame thremalite blocks or bricks pour over with casting plaster and rule off, then it can be made good whenever, hope this helps.

I've got a 3 metre worktop in my shed for a bench, which is adequete for casting and running most moulds. Ideally I'd rather a proper plaster bench but due to space restrictions I make do.

I've got a 3 metre worktop in my shed for a bench, which is adequete for casting and running most moulds. Ideally I'd rather a proper plaster bench but due to space restrictions I make do.
Where are you in Cornwall mate? Had a call last week from a guy wanting some cornice matched, quite a bit too, but could only recommend the chap at Zelah who I think has retired.

Do you get much cornice work or are you mainly plastering?

varies, but hoping to get more fibrous now as recently set up workshop in garden with a mate of mine who has a load of moulds , and have a new ad in yellow pages as well..
I used to do mainly fibre before and hoping that with the ad and getting back in contact with previous clients there will be enough cornice work to keep me busy.

20120223_154053.jpg 20120223_154104.jpg 20120223_154126.jpg

ok still very much work in progress but does the required job at the moment....of course if that big job comes in then will have to move things around abit..
If anyone out there needs any cornice in the cornwall area give me a ring 07967 921927

Sorry for dragging up old thread guys.

Have a coving job that needs doing not far from mikeadams1985 anyone know how i could get into contact with him?

a fibrous plasterer bench is timber, but plaster "topped"....our bench's are 12ft long x 4ft wide

and a couple @4ft square

Status
Not open for further replies.