WTF is going on with multi finish?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok then can you answer me a few questions please:

(these are all things that you've said on here)

1) You said your 26, but then somewhere else you said you left school 12 years ago? :RpS_unsure:

2) You said you've been plastering for:

•Just under a year
•2 years
•A few years
•5 years
So which one is it? :RpS_unsure:

A quote from yourself - "I may be new to the forum, but I'm not a newbie as far as plastering is concerned." :rolleyes)

3) You said before your recent Transit connect that you had a bigger Transit "FOR QUITE A WHILE" ?

4) You said your boss is always happy with your work,
Even though you mention that you work for yourself? :huh:

5) How many jobs have you really done?
As you have only mentioned working on your own house, your grans house & your neighbours house ?
This to me sounds like someone who is just starting out, plus the problems your having with mixing & getting multi on the wall!

So come on Marshy the truth? :RpS_thumbup:

That is all for now :)

I am 26 and I did leave school nearly 12 years ago. because of when my birthday is, I wasn't 16 until after I left school.
I have been plastering for nearly three years, as I have mentioned before.
I'm not new to plastering, but when I posted the quote you mentioned I was new to the forum.
I had a transit before I started plastering which I used for my previous job, then I changed to a connect when I didn't have so many tools to carry around.
I do work for a boss but I also do jobs for myself.
I don't know how many jobs I have done, I haven't kept a list you know.

As for my mixing problems, the working time of multi finish is supposed to be 45 minutes give or take, yet 3 times I have had a slightly sloppy mix (which was mixed quickly) set in the bucket in under 20 minutes. it's nothing to do with me being too slow to get it on the wall or any other insult you might like to throw at me. clearly it isn't my fault when plaster is going off in half the time it is supposed to.
windows open or closed makes no difference despite what people have said, I have mixed and worked with multi with the windows open before and I have never had it set this fast.
can anyone explain that?
forget calling me slow, it's nothing to do with how fast or slow I am when the plaster is setting in half the time.

so its not piss wet and its not stiff im not being funny marshall but you should have a bucket -1 bag on in around 15-20 mins mate which off your setting times 45 mins should give you 30 mins to mess with it if need be, i put one bag on then knock a fresh one up use three parts of that then turn around and lay it down all within an hr the rests just troweling up so it works out to a 2hr-ish set depending on temperatures and other factors ,its either your not using the gear fast enough or tartin around with it to much you not have a spot and stand?

so its not piss wet and its not stiff im not being funny marshall but you should have a bucket -1 bag on in around 15-20 mins mate which off your setting times 45 mins should give you 30 mins to mess with it if need be, i put one bag on then knock a fresh one up use three parts of that then turn around and lay it down all within an hr the rests just troweling up so it works out to a 2hr-ish set depending on temperatures and other factors ,its either your not using the gear fast enough or tartin around with it to much you not have a spot and stand?

I can get a bag on in 20 minutes without too many problems, but the plaster was setting in the bucket before it even got near the wall.
even though I do have a stand, I am on the look out for a new board after a labourer threw mine in a skip.

I can get a bag on in 20 minutes without too many problems, but the plaster was setting in the bucket before it even got near the wall.
even though I do have a stand, I am on the look out for a new board after a labourer threw mine in a skip.

You're not adding rapid set cement to your plaster by any chance are you? Just wondering??

so if your buckets are clean drill is clean water is clean and you can get it on in time how the feck is there any left in the bucket!! seriously use a spot and stand it will give you a bit more time not loads but a bit more if its sealed proper so it doesnt suck the moisture out of stuff also you been checking the dates on the stuff you been using?i had a customer that had a bag of carlite bonding out of his garage and was adamant i use it to save him buying one it was 3mnths out of date so i explained what would happen to him if i used it wouldnt have any of it so i made the twot stand there and watch me knock it up needless to say he had a new ceiling rose within 5mins so if the stuffs out of date theres your problem other than that dirty tools or not being used fast enough mate

Marshall just go & buy some multi or board finish from somewhere else & try that.
Where did you get the gear from?

so if your buckets are clean drill is clean water is clean and you can get it on in time how the feck is there any left in the bucket!! seriously use a spot and stand it will give you a bit more time not loads but a bit more if its sealed proper so it doesnt suck the moisture out of stuff also you been checking the dates on the stuff you been using?i had a customer that had a bag of carlite bonding out of his garage and was adamant i use it to save him buying one it was 3mnths out of date so i explained what would happen to him if i used it wouldnt have any of it so i made the twot stand there and watch me knock it up needless to say he had a new ceiling rose within 5mins so if the stuffs out of date theres your problem other than that dirty tools or not being used fast enough mate

Bucket, mixer, water and tools are all clean, the plaster is all in date and I can get it on in time. why it is setting in the mixing bucket I have no idea.

weve had rakes and rakes of multi over the last couple of weeks and its all been spot on, we go out of a bucket as were usually in and out of different rooms and not had one problem so if the multis fine and working out of a bucket is fine the the problem must be with the person on the end of the trowel

weve had rakes and rakes of multi over the last couple of weeks and its all been spot on, we go out of a bucket as were usually in and out of different rooms and not had one problem so if the multis fine and working out of a bucket is fine the the problem must be with the person on the end of the trowel

There must be some problem with it, otherwise this thread, WTF is going on with multi finish wouldn't have been started.
so I'm not the only one who is having problems, but I am the only one being slagged off.

There must be some problem with it, otherwise this thread, WTF is going on with multi finish wouldn't have been started.
so I'm not the only one who is having problems, but I am the only one being slagged off.

You're not being slagged off there mate. Just a bit of banter that to be fair isn't completely unjust. Incidentally i was wondering if you'd like to buy a set of left-handed screwdrivers???

You're not being slagged off there mate. Just a bit of banter that to be fair isn't completely unjust. Incidentally i was wondering if you'd like to buy a set of left-handed screwdrivers???

Do they come with screws that turn in the other way?

Your not the only one, i had a bag start setting really quick, but i knew what to do. Work faster. I found that if you knocked it up in the tall white hard plastic buckets, it sets quicker in the bucket ( but its on the wall before this happens ) If you want a spot board, go and buy one? or find a skip and find an off cut. 45 minutes setting time? I wouldn't stick to that. OR mix it in a big rubber bucket, it don't set as quick in one of them, i've found anyway.

Your not the only one, i had a bag start setting really quick, but i knew what to do. Work faster. I found that if you knocked it up in the tall white hard plastic buckets, it sets quicker in the bucket ( but its on the wall before this happens ) If you want a spot board, go and buy one? or find a skip and find an off cut. 45 minutes setting time? I wouldn't stick to that. OR mix it in a big rubber bucket, it don't set as quick in one of them, i've found anyway.

I managed to get the bag on the wall and I did work pretty fast. but the last bit that I used for the first coat and what was left in the bucket was setting solid as I was finishing the first coat. as for the rubber buckets, do you mean the flexi tubs?

well marshall i cannot help you anymore mate if i was you i would knock some up wait for it to go off then take it from where you bought it from and nail it to the sausage jockeys foot behind the counter to cause him as much pain as he has caused you if it goes off that quick you can knock it up in the feckin shop save your fuel

.right marshy !!!! Enough is enough!.
funny-caption-2_zpsd23db0d5.jpg
.:rolleyes)

Are there some subliminal messages hidden in your posts? your not the knauf rep in disguise are you.

well marshall i cannot help you anymore mate if i was you i would knock some up wait for it to go off then take it from where you bought it from and nail it to the sausage jockeys foot behind the counter to cause him as much pain as he has caused you if it goes off that quick you can knock it up in the feckin shop save your fuel

Thanks for the help anyway mate, I appreciate it.

Right you have been really unlucky you have picked the joke bags that BG send out for a laugh, its nothing to do with over mixing, being slow or using dirty water. Get on with your life and lets just leave it.

Status
Not open for further replies.