WTF is going on with multi finish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW blaming it on the writting on the bag thats got to be a first LOL ive heard its "not a wand its a trowel" but its "the writting on the bag" is class. You might be onto something, my mate was convinced it was the colour of the bucket that was the problem :)

I'm not blaming the writing on the bag. the last time I mixed multi finish was before they started advertising the new uni finish on the bags. before then all seemed well with multi finish.

My multi finish problems started with the new bags advertising the new uni finish.
when the problem was mentioned in this thread, everyone seemed to be understanding and helpful.
I mention similar problems and I am told it's because I don't know what I am doing. funny that.

Marshy doing 5m2 even with 10 year old multi a proper spread wouldn't struggle to get that on sorry mate close them fckin windows!!

3 sets today 2 5baggers and a cheeky 3 bag mix Feck-all wrong with the multi looks like it grew there,
I might of got a bit more on only some top hat left the toilet window open.:RpS_thumbup:

Marshy doing 5m2 even with 10 year old multi a proper spread wouldn't struggle to get that on sorry mate close them fckin windows!!

I have plastered with the windows open before and have never had such problems.
I had another problem yesterday while plastering a 16ft by 10ft wall, but luckily I wasn't working alone. I was working out of my mixing bucket as a labourer clearing up decided to throw my board in the skip, which was emptied while I was having dinner.
I had hardly finished the first coat (not sure how long it took) and the plaster was already going off in the bucket, I only just got the first coat on before what was left in the bucket had set solid.
will plaster set faster in a bucket than it will on a board? I made the mix slightly sloppy and mixed it quite quick too, and still the plaster in the bucket was already setting in the bucket before I could get it on the wall.
am I missing something here? my buckets are all clean, I used clean water and all my tools are clean.
all these problems have happened while plastering on plasterboard.
I used multi all the way through college, before starting college I had never plastered anything before and still I didn't have this many problems. we were mixing by hand in college too which took a lot longer than using a mixer, still I didn't have this many problems with my mix.

tumblr_ly2toleFWz1rn0qyoo1_250.gif

I have plastered with the windows open before and have never had such problems.
I had another problem yesterday while plastering a 16ft by 10ft wall, but luckily I wasn't working alone. I was working out of my mixing bucket as a labourer clearing up decided to throw my board in the skip, which was emptied while I was having dinner.
I had hardly finished the first coat (not sure how long it took) and the plaster was already going off in the bucket, I only just got the first coat on before what was left in the bucket had set solid.
will plaster set faster in a bucket than it will on a board? I made the mix slightly sloppy and mixed it quite quick too, and still the plaster in the bucket was already setting in the bucket before I could get it on the wall.
am I missing something here? my buckets are all clean, I used clean water and all my tools are clean.
all these problems have happened while plastering on plasterboard.
I used multi all the way through college, before starting college I had never plastered anything before and still I didn't have this many problems. we were mixing by hand in college too which took a lot longer than using a mixer, still I didn't have this many problems with my mix.

Somebody help, please, anyone, just help this poor guy before everyone on TPF tops themselves :-0

What are you using to get your skim out of the bucket a TEASPOON? Buy a bigger bucket trowel or a much smaller bucket,

And just in case anyone still thought Marshy was a real person he posts yet more shite. Come on Lee this has your prints all over it.

And just in case anyone still thought Marshy was a real person he posts yet more shite. Come on Lee this has your prints all over it.

Its not me Andy, even I couldn't post that much shi1te.

Get Marshy to post some pics of himself mixing lol.

Bang your head against the wall all you like mate, I'm close to doing the same here.
I don't know what I was thinking asking advice on a forum like this, I should have known there would be someone (or many someones) waiting to tear me apart.

Ok @marshal the simple fact is you ARE TOO SLOW ! it's not the plaster it's you ! hope that helps

Last edited by a moderator:
But even doing small areas using half a bag I have had multi going off in the bucket before I can get it on the wall or ceiling.
I'm not that slow either.
Mix your plaster with cold water mate not boiling water and use a mixing drill and not a cake mixer then you shud be tip top pal:RpS_thumbsup:

Mix your plaster with cold water mate not boiling water and use a mixing drill and not a cake mixer then you shud be tip top pal:RpS_thumbsup:

I am using cold water and a paddle mixer. the only thing I can think is that my mixer is too small. it's only 120mm, but surely that can't make a difference.

Oh it can, cos you are over wisking, tut tut, this could be making all the difference, flash set.Go buy a £7 plunger from Wickes and see what happens.

Oh it can, cos you are over wisking, tut tut, this could be making all the difference, flash set.Go buy a £7 plunger from Wickes and see what happens.

:-0 a plungeri have one at the back of the shed just to remind myself just how wonderful drill mixers really are and have been known to take it to jobs and tell the lab that the leccy is off just to keep him on his toes :RpS_thumbup:

If my problem is over mixing or taking too long to mix, how will mixing by hand (which takes longer) help?

**** me you have been told atleast 10 F*****g times your overmixing the gear with a tiny paddle spinning at 2000 revs get a podger and learn to mix proper first.

**** me you have been told atleast 10 F*****g times your overmixing the gear with a tiny paddle spinning at 2000 revs get a podger and learn to mix proper first.

After spending 6 months mixing by hand in college when I wasn't allowed to use a paddle mixer, why would I go back to mixing by hand?

You should have said whether though mate. and yes I did say where I was from.

no thats where your wrong again, i prefer wether or even wever and like i said i must of missed it but listening is not one of your strong points so where you from?

Status
Not open for further replies.