WTF is going on with multi finish?

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:RpS_thumbup:

I use board finish for everything except when i float & set.
Or if multi is being supplied.

Thought they where the same.
BG say in a bag of board & multi finish it is 95% ground down gypsum rock the other 5% is additives(retarders etc)

Not strictly fat.

What I mean is when you flatten normal multi you make it look nicer than when first applied, this stuff just rolls off any hollows you would normally get rid of when flattening.

I know what you mean. Have experienced the same in the past.

Listen, as soon as you apply water to the wall you create fat right. Anyone who thinks that the fat doesn't fill the hollows is in cloud cuckoo. At any point when you are trowelling up take you trowel off the wall and have a look at whats built up on the blade.....that's right fat. Whilst trowelling whether you chose to accept it or not, this fat is filling.

I'm not talking about smearing a sh1tload onto a hollow but it's filling. Once you take away this process, ie. the finish not working correctly you get what ceevee is trying to explain.

fair play ive never used board i was taught with multi so thats what ive always used but just getting sick of it at the moment

Multi = more fatty, better for high suction

Board = fills better, less slimey....dunno how to describe really

Board is 'fuller' and firmer to use, we were taught to trowel it 'three times dry and once wet' :RpS_thumbup:

I havent used this "uni finish" but if its saying no pva then they will have added powder polymer to the material thus creating a sort of polymer modified finish. I have done this in the past on refurb work using sbr and its hard work trowelling up as the polymer peels when drying and trowelling. They dont wanna be forcing this on us though by making it their only finish

thats because "it does what it says on the tin" Board finish for Board, Multi for board (may hang slightly) and gypsum based undercoats

Ive tried it and its brilliant gear, plenty of body to it and feels really smooth under the trowel, and you get plenty of fat to fill any slacks in. Talking to Bg they are looking at increasing their range not reducing it, which can only be good for us boys

i've found it difficult to accuratley differentiate between multi and board as no 2 job conditions are the same and no 2 bags from any 2 suppliers will always be the same (production dates, conditions its been stored etc etc). there is an underlying chemistry with these products with many factors which will affect its processes. To really understand the differences it would be interesting to know what the exact constituents of multi are and board and how they affect the set times and workabilty times..from that u then know whats actually in the bag and to use them to your advantage...if u really think its going to benefit you for those efforts that is lol

in my experience from using both, the most accurate comparison i had was 2 ceilings seperated by an encased rsj and there is a slight difference...i do prefer multi being much more fatty, board does feel a bit thicker somehow and less fatty and hangs about a bit longer..horses for courses

with regards this no pva finish, clearly there's gonna be some other additives, polymers etc which will take a little getting used to to get the finish your used to....as long as BG don't alter the multi and board finish products which have been very consistent for me over the years any new additions that come out to speed things up is all good, bring it on....

We use to add lime to mix when I first started it was like cream to use , dont know if it was just a thing with this firm I worked for.

Now that really was like a load of snot. Yuk!

Trowel everything four times!! Feck that.

Four trowels was the standard for us Andy, boss was a bit of a nutter in some ways but fkin good.....................and Carlite was THE cream marra, I loved it, almost as much as this bloke loves his noodles :razz::::::

Last edited by a moderator:
I know what you mean. Have experienced the same in the past.

Listen, as soon as you apply water to the wall you create fat right. Anyone who thinks that the fat doesn't fill the hollows is in cloud cuckoo. At any point when you are trowelling up take you trowel off the wall and have a look at whats built up on the blade.....that's right fat. Whilst trowelling whether you chose to accept it or not, this fat is filling.

I'm not talking about smearing a sh1tload onto a hollow but it's filling. Once you take away this process, ie. the finish not working correctly you get what ceevee is trying to explain.
Thank god someone said it. Seems to be a bit of fat snobbery on this forum
as for board and multi-finish they both seem to fluctuate in quality. I have abandoned board finish this last two years it was so different from batch to batch that I lost my confidence in it. Always worrying on a big gauge what it was gonna do. About 6 years ago we had a bg rep out on site to check some of our finish as it was turning brown before we could barely get 2nd coat on. They admitted a dodgy batch had gone out as there is a changeover from summer to winter in terms of what they put in it or don't to make it go off in cold conditions.
I find the 2 changeovers a year make both board and multi a bit ropey. But I find multi to be most consistent of the two

We use to add lime to mix when I first started it was like cream to use , dont know if it was just a thing with this firm I worked for.
same as you H, when i started we used to put a handful or two in the finish ,and it was a real stinger if you got a bit in your eye when skimming ceilings.

BG say That any out of date bags they still have in storage they remix them with new batches, now this may only be in small quantities over hundreds/thousands of bags, but surely once you add it to water it's like throwing a bit of dirty water in your mix :RpS_unsure:

Four trowels was the standard for us Andy, boss was a bit of a nutter in some ways but fkin good.....................and Carlite was THE cream marra, I loved it, almost as much as this bloke loves his noodles :razz::::::

I must admit that it was really good at getting over the high suction on Browning but it was a snotty mare to mix up with a plodger.

I was always taught to keep the trowel as clean and free of a build up of fat as possible at all times, and that's how I still work. I clean the trowel after every couple of sweeps on the wall and never have to take more than a thin line of fat off. I've seen many spreads trowelling up with a massive amount of fat on their trowel and this is definitely be being smeared back onto the wall, and you can usually tell from the surface of the finished work who works with a clean trowel and who works with a build up of fat on theirs.
I'm not saying either way is right or wrong but they are different.

never tried board on any surface but plasterboard and not only because it says s on the bag but cause its got no body thats why im thinking it goes so far and iv had no probs with the stuff either unlike multi.

I was always taught to keep the trowel as clean and free of a build up of fat as possible at all times, and that's how I still work. I clean the trowel after every couple of sweeps on the wall and never have to take more than a thin line of fat off. I've seen many spreads trowelling up with a massive amount of fat on their trowel and this is definitely be being smeared back onto the wall, and you can usually tell from the surface of the finished work who works with a clean trowel and who works with a build up of fat on theirs.
I'm not saying either way is right or wrong but they are different.

Yes, I've seen a few people working like this with good results, bubbles was saying that he was taught to give board finish 3 dry trowels and a wet to finish. That was probably about 40 years ago :RpS_biggrin:, dunno if he still does it this way.

Must be a lot of trips to the bucket/ligga though doing it your way or do you carry your handboard around when you trowel up?

Last edited:
Ya cheeky fekka!
It was about 30 years actually, and it's got to be at least 10 years since I used any board finish :-0

Yes, I've seen a few people working like this with good results, bubbles was saying that he was taught to give board finish 3 dry trowels and a wet to finish. That was probably about 40 years ago :RpS_biggrin:, dunno if he still does it this way.

Must be a lot of trips to the bucket/ligga though doing it your way or do you carry your handboard around when you trowel up?
I always have my water bucket with me and an empty bag to clean my trowel into and you'd never see me trowel anything up without a six inch brush in my left hand, for washing off walls, frames and my trowel.

Hi I first noticed multi had changed months ago. But the last couple of weeks and it seems with the new uni finish ad bags it's gone absolutely shocking. Phoned bg today to see if there was a reason for this and just too let them know it's s**t . But they said I'm the first person too mention it too them. Which I very much doubt . Anyone else on here complained to bg .

Status
Not open for further replies.