would you down tools to force up prices ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
nice idea but there will always be someone there to pick up the slack...

I would see the effort better spent educating the public on good plastering rather than stopping...

nice idea but there will always be someone there to pick up the slack...

I would see the effort better spent educating the public on good plastering rather than stopping...

I've said that before Danny and I've actually got a section on my website about what they should expect as a standard:RpS_thumbup:

I know some amazing spreads who have just give up or lost interest due to the fact we are bein taken for a ride.

Weather its 2 coating by the book /sponging/speedskims/platics.
Inside outside work the money as a whole is dismal.
Weve spent years learning a hard trade for a handfull of shareholders to get filthy filthy rich.

It's a great idea but there will always be one person who is so desperate for the money they will work for anything, it's this that needs sorting out. Skint folk are getting exploited and the people with the cash are doing it be it banks, developers, insurance company's the list is endless and it will never change as these people have made sure of that. Love the idea though

Is that not the idea of the cscs card,I've never had one but assumed that was the reason they brought it in

Wasn't ignoring you marra i had typed a glorious 5 paragraph reply but the granddaughter came in and i forgot and laptop battery ran out :RpS_laugh: and i have lost me train of thought now :RpS_crying:

That just smacks of a government body, salivating at the thought of more income from 'licensed' tradesmen though, we would need to ensure it was a governing body run BY plasterers FOR plasterers :RpS_thumbup:

With you all the way on that and i should of expanded on my thoughts. You know people like to Call Bob Crow but i wish he was representing tradesmen and anyone who don't in my opinion is lying or deluded.

I seen the best of men working for bad money north and south.
Being the best spread in the world wont put up the rates everywhere.
That same old crap about keeping you busy is a load of old tosh.

Never mind mate no one is going to strike with me.....so i give up !!
Goin back to cleaning my ears with my lolly pop stick.

I seen the best of men working for bad money north and south.
Being the best spread in the world wont put up the rates everywhere.
That same old crap about keeping you busy is a load of old tosh.
We agree with the sentiment but we are sole traders ,like hunters in the forest ,we just need to strengthen individually .

We are basically either lucky to be in a decent area where we are in demand and we have good contacts and therefore all is good, the alternative in an area of low or no employment where no good contacts exist as there can't be good contacts,therefore the latter is forced to work for very little, those of using areas where work is good are not better or cleverer than others in quiet areas just luckier..therefore a lot of these conversations are hard on those less fortunate and they must view some of us as smug cun ts and I don't blame them..

Said it a few yes ago on this very forum. I mentioned to barred we shud get all the spreads in lpool to stop work right across the city. Then grow it to Manchester and so on.

Only trouble is it only takes one scab and the whole effort is wasted....non starter. The Tories took the voice of the working man away when that evil witch thatcher was in power.

Don't think it will work anymore. Poor pay and conditions are here to stay.

being self employed you where in charge of your own destiny, but we got swamped by idiots.

Haha ya smug **** !!
Ive worked in and around london for years.
Was bought up plastering by donegal men.
they for sure teach you how to earn money.
worked for the top payers from top to bottom of the country mate.
And the worst payers.
maybe im getting to old and misrable for this young mans game @ 34 i should be in my prime ....maybe i'l strike on sunday for a day.

I'll assume you mean stopping work on all sites, not private jobs.
To be effective it would need:

1. A governing body to register all spreads.
2. Sites stopped for around about a month.
3. A governing body to co-ordinate on a national level.
4. All plasterers on private work (such as myself) would need to be willing to offer some employment to the registered spreads during the 'stoppage', otherwise they would be undercutting us :RpS_crying:
5. A governing body to negotiate with developers.
6. A willingness of all spreads to stick together (It'll never happen)
7. A date set for the 'stoppage' and kept secret until the actual 'stop' time.
8. Start saving up....................
ARE YOU WITH ME BROTHERS? :RpS_thumbsup:

power to the plasterers :RpS_laugh:

Liverpool and manchester are terrible cities for a massive boom of work with poor rates....better football teams though !!!!

We are basically either lucky to be in a decent area where we are in demand and we have good contacts and therefore all is good, the alternative in an area of low or no employment where no good contacts exist as there can't be good contacts,therefore the latter is forced to work for very little, those of using areas where work is good are not better or cleverer than others in quiet areas just luckier..therefore a lot of these conversations are hard on those less fortunate and they must view some of us as smug cun ts and I don't blame them..

Is rite john

Not many who live where demand is high realise how lucky they are and spare a thought for spreads where there is a lot of competition and little spare money. Usually the snot nosed g1ts look down as smug.

That's why when we go on our busman's holidays around the UK on the graft we clean up. Good prices and wipe the floor with the lads who have had it easy for so long and gotten lazy.

Next stop Windsor.....

Yes yes yes a voice......power to the plasterers .....get all the rates up then continue hiding each others beads !!!

Is rite john

Not many who live where demand is high realise how lucky they are and spare a thought for spreads where there is a lot of competition and little spare money. Usually the snot nosed g1ts look down as smug.

That's why when we go on our busman's holidays around the UK on the graft we clean up. Good prices and wipe the floor with the lads who have had it easy for so long and gotten lazy.

Next stop Windsor.....
Always welcome in London, too many handymen,cowboys here..

I wonder if the scottish will strike with me now they have thier independance ???
A bottle of bells an hour up there.

To be honest a lot of the spreads I've worked with round my way have been absolutely clueless whereas plumbers and sparks you talk to are quite intelligent. Therein lies the problem.

Haha ya smug **** !!
And the worst payers.
maybe im getting to old and misrable for this young mans game @ 34 i should be in my prime ....maybe i'l strike on sunday for a day.
Oh, I worked with hungry donegal men, 18 inch wooden hawks, such drive to earn ,it was incredible, some burnt out very early on,beads been stuck on four flats at a time, water barrels emptied etc.. I was young and fit then,,

Haha ya smug **** !!
And the worst payers.

at 34 you are just a whipper snapper!

Not sure if I fancy larndon tbh. No one talks to you there. For such a cultured city the people sure are miserable. We had a good crack in Colchester n Essex tho. Haha Essex is just like st Helens hahaha

Not sure if I fancy larndon tbh. No one talks to you there. For such a cultured city the people sure are miserable. We had a good crack in Colchester n Essex tho. Haha Essex is just like st Helens hahaha

what where you doing in colchester? my home town.

I remember years ago plastering a massive site around colchester years ago ...something village ?? M.shortlands plastering i think we worked for.

I remember years ago plastering a massive site around colchester years ago ...something village ?? M.shortlands plastering i think we worked for.

colchester is the fastest growing town in the uk, about 5,000 people per year.

does chelmer village ring a bell? or turner village? thousands of houses built there!

Status
Not open for further replies.