Working alone

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i work alone, but i'm not lonely, if you know what i mean ..:rolleyes) cant stand having to make idle chitchat about fcuk all. i have more important things on my mind. find myself shouting at the c**t richard bacon on radio 5 sometimes :RpS_cursing:

come to Barnsley john you would have to do all of that and fetch the gear before work and look at work after in your own time and still be getting less money than a spread would have 10yrs ago never mind a spread and a labourer!!!!!:RpS_crying:
I couldn't ,my body wouldn't last, bad knees shoulder and dodgy back,

Give me a call at 8 tomorrow when we start and leave your phone on loudspeaker all day, you can have our banter x

Haha thanks mate. Nick clark (nickelarse) used to ring me at 8am and sing me whatever song was on G** fm

I keep getting labourers then realising their lazy little pricks. No I'm in the if rather struggle phase. Until I do a week of jobs upstairs I soon miss someone then just to load out and pack away.

on a serious note john your very fortunate that you earn where you earn you would be 6ft under if plastering up our way its killing me!!!:RpS_thumbdn:
Yes I earn well, but its not all brawn, brain helps too, I have good methodology like all older spreads but I am still learning,

I don't see how a lab could help me with the type of work I do. An improver would suit me I think. Do the donkey work but put a couple of walls on too. Don't see how someone just labouring could earn their money on say a bedroom over skim

I don't see how a lab could help me with the type of work I do. An improver would suit me I think. Do the donkey work but put a couple of walls on too. Don't see how someone just labouring could earn their money on say a bedroom over skim

Same with my work really, but it finding an improver that knows there improving ( not a plasterer) who doesn't want a million quid is difficult ... Lots of improvers think they know enough to earn the same money as you.

On price work no, and finding one any good is like getting six numbers but I always work 2/1 even through the downturn which made it difficult.

On price work no, and finding one any good is like getting six numbers but I always work 2/1 even through the downturn which made it difficult.

My old gaffa Always had a lab/apprentice. But when you're 60 it makes sense. I can mix up myself. Load the van at the end of the day between trowelling up. Whilst they're sheeting up what would I be doing? Would maybe make sense on bigger jobs. Doing a full house atm and could have someone mixing For me. Cleaning Loading up and maybe Doing The box room a wall at a time for example. But most of my work is 1-2 days max

I quite like having them rooms where you don't really need them, they do all the donkey work, you get to take all the glory and get into a clean van at the end of the day because they spent half the day with the hoover and polish and duster.

My old gaffa Always had a lab/apprentice. But when you're 60 it makes sense. I can mix up myself. Load the van at the end of the day between trowelling up. Whilst they're sheeting up what would I be doing? Would maybe make sense on bigger jobs. Doing a full house atm and could have someone mixing For me. Cleaning Loading up and maybe Doing The box room a wall at a time for example. But most of my work is 1-2 days max
When fitI always had an apprentice ,I worked on stilts,did the ceilings ,tops of walls etc,the lad did the bottoms or what he could, worked well,but my osteoarthritis when its bad really fooks me up ,the last few months have been ok and I have been busy and pain free.but this won't last long so in effect my knees belong to a 70 Yrold but he won't take them back

On my own for years now ...got my own good little system.
In the morning I yap the head off any fuucker that comes in my house in the afternoon I want everyone to leave me in peace !!

Sounds silly but upstairs jobs are a massive pain when working on your own. Sheeting stairs, 40 trips up and down loading out tools, mats etc , then clean and load van after. When you've been doing that for 30+ years it's not really exciting like it used to be .....
Thats why most large bedrooms upstairs are now a 3 day job on my own :RpS_thumbsup:

I prefer to work alone. Might get help in if i have some high stuff to do and need an extra pair of hands, but generally I soldier on by myself. I like things done my way too. Worked with people who have some funny ideas about doing things, and it winds me up. I'm a bit intolerant.

How many of us work alone? And does the silence of being on your own drive you mad? Been working on me own for years and I think the solidarity is driving me insane.

Get a permanent marker and draw a happy face on your trowel then name him.
My trowel 'friend' is called Raul, think he's mexican or Spanish (sometimes he's difficult to understand) so could even possibly be Scottish.
He's **** at popmaster I always beat him, but he's quite a talented singer Im always Paul Simon and Raul always does the Art Garfunkle bits when we duet.
We're never lonely.

You get bogged down after while on your own. I just handballed 37 bags of sand/lime rubble (1 ceiling)down 2 stories, into a hired van, then dumped it. Was cursing everyone I've ever met from start to finish. My old school teacher was smarter than he looked, he knew 'what up'

Get a permanent marker and draw a happy face on your trowel then name him.
My trowel 'friend' is called Raul, think he's mexican or Spanish (sometimes he's difficult to understand) so could even possibly be Scottish.
He's **** at popmaster I always beat him, but he's quite a talented singer Im always Paul Simon and Raul always does the Art Garfunkle bits when we duet.
We're never lonely.

Your not well :)

I work alone. I dont mind it. When i work with others it amazes me sometimes the poor quality of their work and I don't want to be part of it. On your own you only have yourself to blame and your own good standards to live up to.

I work alone. I dont mind it. When i work with others it amazes me sometimes the poor quality of their work and I don't want to be part of it. On your own you only have yourself to blame and your own good standards to live up to.

in my experience a good 90% of plasterers are fookind dreadfull of which a good 70% don't even realise it and the other 20% just don't care!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.