Working alone

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeadams1985

Private Member
How many of us work alone? And does the silence of being on your own drive you mad? Been working on me own for years and I think the solidarity is driving me insane.

i know how you feel i was working on my own outside in the rain today, i wish i had someone to punch in the face :RpS_mellow:

In theory I work on my own but as I'm schyzophrenic we have a jolly good banter.
No we don't you knob, I'm glad the radio is there to drown you out! :RpS_crying:

Seriously though mike i miss the banter when I used to work with other lads and they bring you down to earth etc. If I didn't have the radio I probably would go mad. I've heard some sites don't let people have radios on so you would defo have to work along side someone.

I work alone 99% of the time. Not by choice though. Can't beat being on a bigger job and having 2-3 of you and if you're lucky a labourer. Get more done, have a laugh and the day goes quicker. I definitely couldn't work without the radio on a regular basis. The other day my lead broke and the silence was deafening

Never work alone, who would bring the tools in,clear the room,get the water,set up the board and stand,not me,no way once or twice a year and that's for friends,who cleans up,loads the tools,carries the plaster in.sometimes builders wonder what they pay me for but they still do..

I have tend to have a labourer and be with a few others but have phases of being on my own. I seem to miss my breakfast and dinner alone and just work through eating as I go where as with people you can have a bit of a laugh so nice to sit down.

Get my mate (spread) in if it's a whole house to render or occasionally on house re plasters. Havnt had a full time labourer for years, I'm a fussy barsteward and everything has to be done the way I want it done. Not necessarily the right way tho :RpS_biggrin:

Never work alone, who would bring the tools in,clear the room,get the water,set up the board and stand,not me,no way once or twice a year and that's for friends,who cleans up,loads the tools,carries the plaster in.sometimes builders wonder what they pay me for but they still do..
Had this problem on a job not long ago. Was on day rate and developer came up and says why are you getting more yet your no doing as much work as the others. 'Cause i am' was the answer!

I mainly work on my own now, used to have a good labourer he is now a plasterer went on his own after 5 years selfish git said he couldn't live on £20 a day

Pretty much always worked with someone, whether a labourer or another spread. Refurb work is bitty and takes to long on your own. I find if I am on my own I don't stop, and I struggle to call it day and go home because I like to see the same amount of work done that would be if I had a lab with me.

Lol, we are in the process of taking on a apprentice, so the labourer can have a labourer.

Get my mate (spread) in if it's a whole house to render or occasionally on house re plasters. Havnt had a full time labourer for years, I'm a fussy barsteward and everything has to be done the way I want it done. Not necessarily the right way tho :RpS_biggrin:
I would labour for you for free! :RpS_wub:

Not fracturedthanks, they think, but still not back at work. Had to give away a 3k job :RpS_cursing:
Was it a big bathroom? The job I am on at the min ,the builder is doing the basement for 500k,he priced the refurbishment of a bathroom and abed room at 80k,

I work on my own most of the time I have this thing where I just don't like other people they piss me off in every way possible

Was it a big bathroom? The job I am on at the min ,the builder is doing the basement for 500k,he priced the refurbishment of a bathroom and abed room at 80k,

it was big by East London standards I suppose, obviously I just bonded it, it's being tiled

I don't mind being on my own, breaks the monotony of having to listen to my mate singing..

On my own doing a little evening job at the mo, nice and quiet.

Had to work on my own for 15 months when my mate was off poorly, didn't mind it at all. Sometimes I'm bored shìtless waiting for skim to go in and it's nice to chat to someone now and again.

Other than that I can be a miserable c**t at times if someone's piśśed me off.

Always work on my own because my own company is better then some of the knobs I've worked with and I'm awesome

On a serious note does anyone find that some days working on your own makes you hate other people's company lol

On a serious note does anyone find that some days working on your own makes you hate other people's company lol QUOTE]
Yes, like when the customer comes in to your workspace and wants to chat, even the sound of them breathing sometimes is enough to make you want to say **** off.

Having said that on the job where my radio lead broke I was doing a garage and the customer said ill leave you to it and fucxlcked off inside for the rest of the day. I was well lonely lol

Having said that on the job where my radio lead broke I was doing a garage and the customer said ill leave you to it and fucxlcked off inside for the rest of the day. I was well lonely lol

Give me a call at 8 tomorrow when we start and leave your phone on loudspeaker all day, you can have our banter x

i know that the most efficient way to work is on your own as no time is wasted. but i do not like it.
i like to work in a small gang of 2 plasterers labouring on themselves. floor screeding on you own is murder.
on ewi on a tower block, we may work in a gang of ten, and that does your brain in!

come to Barnsley john you would have to do all of that and fetch the gear before work and look at work after in your own time and still be getting less money than a spread would have 10yrs ago never mind a spread and a labourer!!!!!:RpS_crying:

I work alone 99% of the time. Not by choice though. Can't beat being on a bigger job and having 2-3 of you and if you're lucky a labourer. Get more done, have a laugh and the day goes quicker. I definitely couldn't work without the radio on a regular basis. The other day my lead broke and the silence was deafening

I know the feeling - you want to borrow my hearing aids :RpS_laugh::RpS_lol:

I work in a mad house -------- I feel quite at home :RpS_scared::RpS_laugh::RpS_lol: only 1 thing wrong my sleeves tie at the back :confused:

I worked on my own yesterday afternoon doing a few ceilings, while the other two were doing a patch up on the same site after the gas co made a mess of a box.
The lab turned to me and said "are u sure you can manage on your own?"
I replied "yes I've got myself to tank to while you cover up all the paviers and brick plinth etc that needs to be kept clean to do that patch up and don't make a mess by the way!"

I never clock watch when I'm on my own and tend to work till stupid o'clock. Then again I might have an early day if I can't be arśed. One usually follows the other though..

Status
Not open for further replies.