Work slowing down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fordon

Hows everyone fixed at the moment.i live in Bristol and have been flat out as of late but only got work until 10th November at present.Starting to panic a bit.

I'm working for builders alot at the mo at reduced day rates...still getting fair bit of work in but beaten on price alot, currently charging apprx £200 a day (Exeter to Bristol)...don't mind working cheaper for builders when i don't have to take any responsibility on for the job.

Had a chippie come round to ours the other day did an amazing job installing a loft hatch...removed old frame...new doors built by joiner...planed and installed new doors...installed brass hinges....made new frame...put in latches...took him 2 days charged 175 all in. Can't compete against that.

Spoke to my friend the other day just had her house completely replastered 3 bed semi, new kitchen installed, fully decorated, bathroom re tiled...pukka job...the guy who did it was working for 50 a day...total labour cost £3300. 7 months it took him over weekend etc.

I just don't know why people do it to themselves and to other tradesman?

I wonder what effect modern technology is having on prices tradesman without the machines surely can't compete these days...I know i've lost alot of renders to guys with machines who knock a whole house out in a week at reduced price with a better quality product...I lost a job the other day a plumber m8 of mine had a friend who wanted some skimming done one large room and a wall priced 2 days plus materials apprx 320 (m8s r8s) another plasterer comes in and charges 180 does the lot in a day with a freaking sponge float i mean wtf?

rant over!

You might not m8 but theres plenty that are...they say it wont even be worth buying a machine in 5 years time the way prices are dropping at the moment so ure in at the right time.

the companys that own machines are cashing in on it by getting cheap labour to do big hits and boost their profits, i own my machine and will work for who ever is offering the best prices i don't like being reliant on people

do you use the machines for skimming? and if so would you use them if it was only one room in someones house? i only thought they used machines on bigger jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.