wooden derby

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

comby4

Anyone still use a wooden Derby? Just seen them one the marshalltown website they any good?
I still use wood float rather than a plastic one and much prefer it but never used a wooden Derby what's peoples thoughts?
cheers

i had 1 given by an old plasterer (60years old) and it was his fathers it was an excellent addition to my kit - more skill required than the metal 1 s - but eventually had to retire it -------- you've got to move with the times:lol:

nothing wrong with the wooden derbys, at one time I had 3 of them given to me by uncles many years ago , but never use them now but still got them, my first handboard was a wooden one made by a joiner for me just when I was starting out with laings years ago, and a square shaped angle trowel, rubber buckets, metal buckets,anyhooooooo the wooden derbys were good

43 years spreading now, but wooden derby thats a blast from the past, as a 15 yo apprentice was giving half a plasterers tool kit, the rest I had to buy out of my £5 per week pay, and yes a wooden derby, wooden rubbing up float,( for browning) wooden crossgrain float for skimming (used on angles) 2 wooden st edges, wooden hand board, a wooden square for reveals, and a wooden tool box, tiling gear, a Ragni plastering trowel for floating, a Tyzack for skimming, a rounded gauger, a square angle trowel, those big blue tin snips, you can still buy them now, different small tools. and long tools, to get in akward places,and more.

those days you worked in a squad, and it was mostly float/set, so as an apprentice you would be straight on the tools, and you learned quick, I was still 15 when the building trade went on strike, and was told the apprentices had to work through, and as the only app plasterer I had to float and skim a double off shot out, with the 15 yo app joiner mixing up, proud as punch when I finished it, the boss was delighted with the job, and said there will be a little extra in you pay this week,true to his word £1 bonus.

43 years spreading now, but wooden derby thats a blast from the past, as a 15 yo apprentice was giving half a plasterers tool kit, the rest I had to buy out of my £5 per week pay, and yes a wooden derby, wooden rubbing up float,( for browning) wooden crossgrain float for skimming (used on angles) 2 wooden st edges, wooden hand board, a wooden square for reveals, and a wooden tool box, tiling gear, a Ragni plastering trowel for floating, a Tyzack for skimming, a rounded gauger, a square angle trowel, those big blue tin snips, you can still buy them now, different small tools. and long tools, to get in akward places,and more.

those days you worked in a squad, and it was mostly float/set, so as an apprentice you would be straight on the tools, and you learned quick, I was still 15 when the building trade went on strike, and was told the apprentices had to work through, and as the only app plasterer I had to float and skim a double off shot out, with the 15 yo app joiner mixing up, proud as punch when I finished it, the boss was delighted with the job, and said there will be a little extra in you pay this week,true to his word £1 bonus.

Feck sounds like my apprentice tool box.....almost to a tee

the only time we used a wooden derby was on floating ceilings. always ruled in walls with a feather edge rule.
i know that a lot of london plasterers used a derby on browning, but there was different methods in different areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.