Wooden corner bead / modern alternatives

Members online

dfps

Hi,

Been on the forum a while but this is my first post so please be gentle. : )

I'm currently doing a interior plastering restoration project on an old house which has lime plastering and old wooden corner beads which have perished.
I want to keep the appearance of old rounded corners at window reveals and external corners but if possible would want to avoid using replacement wooden beads.
Does anyone know of a UK supplier of modern ( either plastic or metal ) rounded beads that would simulate the look of wooden beads but without all the problems associated with them.

Thanks

Hi,

I'm currently doing a interior plastering restoration project on an old house which has lime plastering and old wooden corner beads which have perished.
I want to keep the appearance of old rounded corners at window reveals and external corners but if possible would want to avoid using replacement wooden beads.
Does anyone know of a UK supplier of modern ( either plastic or metal ) rounded beads that would simulate the look of wooden beads but without all the problems associated with them.

Thanks
They definitely used to exist, but I'm not sure of the name of the company that made them. Something like Timeco (?) rings a bell.

Hi,

Thanks
Trimtex do a rounded/bullnose bead but mega pricey and think u can only order direct from America

After a lot of searching I have now found this company.

Has anyone used these products and could offer any advice about using them ?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Thanks Ritch also for your earlier reply.

I was hoping to have a bit of reinforcement there from the bead as often the corners get knocked but if I cant get anything suitable to do the job I may well have to do that.......old school : )

Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply. Thanks Ritch also for your earlier reply.

I was hoping to have a bit of reinforcement there from the bead as often the corners get knocked but if I cant get anything suitable to do the job I may well have to do that.......old school : )

Thanks again.
the original wooden beads weren't that great, solid plaster would be an improvement

Hi,

Thanks

Here you go. ;)

At one point you could of gone down a proper wood yard and they could of run you lengths of to suite, wouldn't know where to go these days!, did a job in Exeter a while back and customer got a load and I reinstated, f**k knows where he got um

At one point you could of gone down a proper wood yard and they could of run you lengths of to suite, wouldn't know where to go these days!, did a job in Exeter a while back and customer got a load and I reinstated, f**k knows where he got um
Hi Smoother09
Traditional lime suppliers such as Ty Mawr in Brecon supply wood corner beads in pine and oak for the traditional lime purist and Grade 2 listed buildings etc but they are not the easiest things to use and ultimately they will crack at the junction with the plaster as they expand and contract with moisture.
Back in the day wood was all that was available so that's what they used.
I have found a supplier of plastic versions but am waiting for samples to arrive to see if they are going to be suitable.
Thanks to everyone who has commented so far for taking the time to respond.

Hi Smoother09
Traditional lime suppliers such as Ty Mawr in Brecon supply wood corner beads in pine and oak for the traditional lime purist and Grade 2 listed buildings etc but they are not the easiest things to use and ultimately they will crack at the junction with the plaster as they expand and contract with moisture.
Back in the day wood was all that was available so that's what they used.
I have found a supplier of plastic versions but am waiting for samples to arrive to see if they are going to be suitable.
Thanks to everyone who has commented so far for taking the time to respond.
just nip to local building plastics merchants for some quadrant beading...reckon you're over-thinking this way to much though pal just plastering the corners in will be fine and will be more in keeping with the building...never in my over 35 years in this trade have I ever heard of or seen anyone putting plastic round beading on corners

Think this is being over thought. You can walk into b an q an search for wood dowling. Its not far off the original sizes they used on lath an plaster. Doesn’t matter what material you use.. the plaster will hairline crack down the connection.

a back street work shop with some old guy like me still at it

just nip to local building plastics merchants for some quadrant beading...reckon you're over-thinking this way to much though pal just plastering the corners in will be fine and will be more in keeping with the building...never in my over 35 years in this trade have I ever heard of or seen anyone putting plastic round beading on corners
First time for everything mate.

or sticking beads on with tape lurpack