Winter render jobs

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixie

Finished up a renovation job today and the fella wanted a price to rubb up the outside. I explained I couldn't start for at least three weeks and by then the temperatures will be right down and tried to talk him into waiting til better weather but o no he wants it done :RpS_scared:
So was wondering do any of u more experienced guys have any preferred accelerators. Tried fondue before but not keen on the finished colour. Just no it's gonna be a floodlight job at 7 at night otherwise. Cheers :RpS_biggrin:

Had a big fine down finish last winter just get it on early as possible when temp starts to rise and last hit by 1pm if cold out. but dont bother if freezing.

Is it flat render? I use accelerators.

You could use rapid setting cement but I would use it in both coats and let the scratch coat fully cure first. Darker colour than usual though.

if it is cold and damp then you could maybe get away last minute put on and rule off then rub up next morning. Ok on new build with no heat loss.

Yes @Rigsby smooth s&c its a red brick bungalow with peaked gables so will be scudded scratched then rubbed up smooth. I've used rapid a lot but on smaller jobs it can go with a bang an maybe cake up the mixer i wouldn't want to be caught out on the gable though as it's just me an huddy plus I dought the guy will want to fork out 12 quid a bag for over the whole job. I've used the liquid accelerator hardener but never really seemed to effect the setting time much unless I'm not using enough lol. Maybe bring a stack of old newspaper :RpS_thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
We live in the U.K. Not Russia.there are many days that are mild enough to get rendering jobs done.jobs just take longer.

I know that bobby but was just wondering if anyone knew of any good accelerators that would speed things up a bit. times money an all that

cut down on the feb mix in the winter months, it will be harder to apply but will finish quicker.
do not use waterproofer in the scratchcoat.

Yes @Rigsby smooth s&c its a red brick bungalow with peaked gables so will be scudded scratched then rubbed up smooth. I've used rapid a lot but on smaller jobs it can go with a bang an maybe cake up the mixer i wouldn't want to be caught out on the gable though as it's just me an huddy plus I dought the guy will want to fork out 12 quid a bag for over the whole job. I've used the liquid accelerator hardener but never really seemed to effect the setting time much unless I'm not using enough lol. Maybe bring a stack of old newspaper :RpS_thumbsup:

Done a lot of winter rendering in the past, like Bobby said get it on early. Be prepared the day before, make sure your water isn't too cold (a couple of kettles of boiling water in your water butt just enough to take the chill off it) we top with 5:1:1 sand c&lime the cement being half ordinary half rapid set

its all to do with the mixing of the gauge , thickness of the top coat and what you have put in your scratch coat . You either know how to do it or you dont .

Pixie use frost proofer it acts as an accelerator also n it will help it if theres any over night frost you should get it done no bother am from N, I also just get it on early enough done a front of a house on friday there had it on at 10 didnt put a float on it till 1 lol then theres the newspaper trick if its still sitting after that m8hope that helps chum

Cheers for the input guys. Always good to here other people's views to gain a bit more knowledge. I liked @Olican one about warming up water slightly to take the chill out. Think I'll try that one :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers for the input guys. Always good to here other people's views to gain a bit more knowledge. I liked @Olican one about warming up water slightly to take the chill out. Think I'll try that one :)
He was trying to get you in a bath mate :RpS_scared:

Status
Not open for further replies.