Winning and Losing Work.

Clutch & Tap

I would like some advice, I have never advertised for work and have been quite lucky over the years.

This year I am quiet coming up to Christmas, I was wondering if any of you are the same and how do you go about gaining work this time of year.

Cheers guys.

it gets a bit like that mate.. you can be the best at what you do but if nobody knows that then its pointless.
linkedin is worth a punt dude, church parish magazines (drop the vicar a score) there is a lot of competion out there trouble is the public do not know right from wrong.

I always find this time a year hit or miss. I always assume I will have a quiet December and January and make sure I have enough in the bank to see me over the first few months of the year. Last year I had a really quiet time, think I worked about 15 days at most over December and January, this year I'm currently booked right up to 27th of Jan.

we don't bother with adds in the local paper . at one time we would run and add it gave us plenty of work. the last one we run for about 3 months and never had a call.
up to christmas is our busy time as most customers have not done anything all year and need a tidy up as they have a group of people visiting on boxing day.
January will start slow, we will try to snatch a couple of weeks in tenerife, then the city boys get their bonus, and it will start all over again.

I always find this time a year hit or miss. I always assume I will have a quiet December and January and make sure I have enough in the bank to see me over the first few months of the year. Last year I had a really quiet time, think I worked about 15 days at most over December and January, this year I'm currently booked right up to 27th of Jan.

Same as my approach , so I'm doing a few jobs at home Dec & Jan , have put aside for the time off , over the year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other than recession this is the first Christmas where it's gone quiet for me. Had a crazy year and turned down massive jobs on a weekly basis. Then couple of weeks ago phone calls slowed and now almost non existent. Normally slows mid Dec. But mid Nov this year, can't think why, but I'm trying not to work it out and go with it. Lots of jobs on house to do, always on the backburner for these situations.

The good,bad and the ugly, got them all stressing with xmas rush ATM but as per usual none actually give a flying toss about us poor plasterers and will drop you and me like a wet smelly kipper if they want, I plan as much as can to accommodate people but prefer to just take each day/week as it comes.

:rebotando: :rebotando: :rebotando:

Yep its defo slowed down out there I've spoke to a few and there have said the same..we have been stacked out for years but this last month has been very slow but we r stacked out again shortly but just waiting for things to start..got 3 jobs to price 2mz and I'm skimming my staircase 2mz with uni finish..took the plunge and bought 2 bags 2day its on u Vince!! Rest is getting done with multi but I want to give this uni Finnish a go on my own house

I use to try and get on site in november till feb then go back domestic :D
Its fairly quiet on sites Dan..we have turned down a couple jobs on site but only because we cant commit as our own stuff is starting but I've heard whispers its slowing down from wat it was..

Its fairly quiet on sites Dan..we have turned down a couple jobs on site but only because we cant commit as our own stuff is starting but I've heard whispers its slowing down from wat it was..

yup I have heard the same as well... hopefully it just a seasonal blip

Yep its defo slowed down out there I've spoke to a few and there have said the same..we have been stacked out for years but this last month has been very slow but we r stacked out again shortly but just waiting for things to start..got 3 jobs to price 2mz and I'm skimming my staircase 2mz with uni finish..took the plunge and bought 2 bags 2day its on u Vince!! Rest is getting done with multi but I want to give this uni Finnish a go on my own house
Me too tomorrow just picked up 5 for a little gauge in morning, 2 bags ? :wtf:please :risas: Gps styles :maraca:

Busy in Devon, firm I subbying to are busy with plenty in the pipeline and plenty of my own domestic stuff aswell. I thought on the domestic side of things people are all trying to get their diy projects complete ready for Christmas.

Busy in Devon, firm I subbying to are busy with plenty in the pipeline and plenty of my own domestic stuff aswell. I thought on the domestic side of things people are all trying to get their diy projects complete ready for Christmas.

That's exactly what happens normally. 15 years been running my own business and all I hear from sep until mid Dec..... Can you do it before Christmas.? Last year I had so much on right up to Christmas a guy pleaded with me and I said for a joke I could do it boxing day and he said yes please. This year, I have no idea why but it's different. As mentioned economy is doing well, near full employment, people spending in the shops, but many trades are experiencing an early slowdown.

That's exactly what happens normally. 15 years been running my own business and all I hear from sep until mid Dec..... Can you do it before Christmas.? Last year I had so much on right up to Christmas a guy pleaded with me and I said for a joke I could do it boxing day and he said yes please. This year, I have no idea why but it's different. As mentioned economy is doing well, near full employment, people spending in the shops, but many trades are experiencing an early slowdown.
Brexit mayb?? Popcorn emoji

I would like some advice, I have never advertised for work and have been quite lucky over the years.

This year I am quiet coming up to Christmas, I was wondering if any of you are the same and how do you go about gaining work this time of year.

Cheers guys.

Make sure you smile when you're pricing work. After all you can get anything you want in life with just a smile.

Talking about being busy towards Christmas or quiet after Christmas, I used to work for a company that dealt with insurance claims. Steady work through out the year, busier during winter because of the bad weather. People will always have leaks, fires, floods etc regardless of the economy people make claims. Perhaps introduce your self to an insurance approved contractor?

Reactions: Pug
Talking about being busy towards Christmas or quiet after Christmas, I used to work for a company that dealt with insurance claims. Steady work through out the year, busier during winter because of the bad weather. People will always have leaks, fires, floods etc regardless of the economy people make claims. Perhaps introduce your self to an insurance approved contractor?

About 20 years ago I got a good run of work for from the 'County Council' for about 6 months. Great I thought as Councils don't go bust as it is government money.

I did a few property's and began to notice that the quality of work in the houses was disgraceful, I talked to my old boss and he told me to get away from council work fast. Apparently it is where the ' not so good tradesman ' end up.

But that was then, I think nowadays most council work is subbed out.

I don't think brexit is an issue yet. Prices going up a bit due to pound, but people still spending. When people stop that, like in recession then maybe a bit of concern. And as someone said, we may not even come out of single market. If we stay in then things should roll on as before.