why magnetic plaster works for me

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Myself and the wife have travelled the world and experienced a lot of different cultures and having a photo wall is a lot easier with magnetic plaster @BritishGypsum

We started putting them up the other day... randomly throwing them on... that whole wall will be covered soon...

20150430_165406.jpg

not sure why she has left that bit in the middle but it's a start

Haha @stolen stilton a lot of research went Inot those elect rads and they are mental :)

There is a place for magnetic plaster for sure....

We bought magnets that have tape on the back so that the magnet sticks to the photos :)

Haha @stolen stilton
There is a place for magnetic plaster for sure....

We bought magnets that have tape on the back so that the magnet sticks to the photos :)

That has to be one of the most pointless solutions to a problem that doesn't exist I've ever heard. o_O

I've had a good idea for a new plaster finish though. Transparent boards and skim! If you use that you'll be able to see the brickwork or blockwork through the plaster finish. :sorprendido3:

Lol I don't see what's wrong with it YEH a bit expensive but no difference to most expensive wall finishes but with a longer life span.

Expensive wall finishes look expensive though, this looks like '' a plasterd wall '' oh.. and you can stick things on it, bit like you can with a corkboard. very ltd appeal. and compared to say a venetian finish, it certainly would,nt out last that.

Lol I don't see what's wrong with it YEH a bit expensive but no difference to most expensive wall finishes but with a longer life span.

There's nothing wrong with it, but there's no point or benefit to it that justifies the expense of having it done.

Expensive wall finishes look expensive though, this looks like '' a plasterd wall '' oh.. and you can stick things on it, bit like you can with a corkboard. very ltd appeal. and compared to say a venetian finish, it certainly would,nt out last that.
You obviously haven't used it or seen it? The finish alone will stand against any polished plaster I have seen one in particular which is very common at the moment is a polished concrete look. The walls I have done the first comments I have had is wow I like the finish. You can't compare it to a cork board because a corkboard looks ugly were as this can look any way you want your wall to look. It would outlast any polished finish or it can be decorated a number of times where as polished can only be re polished or another different colour done which is a massive expense and polished can get damaged very easily, also you need to make holes to hang pictures so your pretty much stuck with having the picture Hung in the same place and venetian is near on impossible to patch.

There's nothing wrong with it, but there's no point or benefit to it that justifies the expense of having it done.
There are massive benefits to it in schools, kids rooms, offices and throughout the house. The wall becomes an interactive wall for kids and the same throughout the house. You can hang stuff without damaging the wall why is that not good?

There are massive benefits to it in schools, kids rooms, offices and throughout the house. The wall becomes an interactive wall for kids and the same throughout the house. You can hang stuff without damaging the wall why is that not good?

Because you can already hang stuff without damaging walls, people have been doing it in schools and homes for years. There is no more or less likelihood of damaging a painted surface using any number of adhesive products available such as blu tack, double sided tape etc. than using magnets. So it's not that magnetic plaster is bad, just that it's a solution to a problem which doesn't exist.

Then when you add the cost of it into the equation it becomes a non-starter, pretty much like magnetic paint did.

Also worth noting that school buildings have been using less and less wet plaster for years.

I don't doubt that the odd wall will get done as a novelty, but when the manufacturers realise they're only selling four bags a year it will fade into obscurity.

Because you can already hang stuff without damaging walls, people have been doing it in schools and homes for years. There is no more or less likelihood of damaging a painted surface using any number of adhesive products available such as blu tack, double sided tape etc. than using magnets. So it's not that magnetic plaster is bad, just that it's a solution to a problem which doesn't exist.

Then when you add the cost of it into the equation it becomes a non-starter, pretty much like magnetic paint did.

Also worth noting that school buildings have been using less and less wet plaster for years.

I don't doubt that the odd wall will get done as a novelty, but when the manufacturers realise they're only selling four bags a year it will fade into obscurity.
How do you hang a picture without putting a screw up? Tape and blue tack do damage walls ask anyone who works in a school or runs a school also it costs, it might seem insignificant but blue tack and tape soon adds up and also so does the redecoration. Magnetic paint is a nonstarter because it is so expensive, doesn't really work that well and is available in limited colours. Schools haven't been using less wet plasters, where did you Get them figures from? Most schools I have worked on have been floating all external walls and they are the only buildings appart from hospitals that still float walls. People seem to be missing the point of how kids benefit from magnetic walls, ie being creative, learning to count, read, spell, shapes, colours, the list is endless, if you haven't seen a magnetic wall and kids reaction to it you can't really comment or really understand what they get from it.

How do you hang a picture without putting a screw up? Tape and blue tack do damage walls ask anyone who works in a school or runs a school also it costs, it might seem insignificant but blue tack and tape soon adds up and also so does the redecoration. Magnetic paint is a nonstarter because it is so expensive, doesn't really work that well and is available in limited colours. Schools haven't been using less wet plasters, where did you Get them figures from? Most schools I have worked on have been floating all external walls and they are the only buildings appart from hospitals that still float walls. People seem to be missing the point of how kids benefit from magnetic walls, ie being creative, learning to count, read, spell, shapes, colours, the list is endless, if you haven't seen a magnetic wall and kids reaction to it you can't really comment or really understand what they get from it.

I've worked in six different primary schools in the last 18 months, one victorian, one ten years old and the rest built in the '60s and '70's. One had some skimmed walls in the offices, the rest of the building was painted facing block, one was entirely painted facing block, three were tape and joint and only the victorian was skimmed throughout with the exception of a new block which was tape and joint.

Kids or teachers sticking pictures our using magnetic numbers etc. will not cut down on the time before redecoration at all so there's no saving there. Blu tack dries out as does tape, but nothing stays up that long in schools. Most stuff lasts only a term, with some stuff up for the entire academic year.

As for creative activity, I haven't seen a school which doesn't have an IT suite and interactive whiteboards in each classroom for a long time. They use those for their creative activities, and the walls are for displays.

My wife's a head teacher in a primary school and all the schools in her consortium are moving away from displays and now have a mural of some description and big screen active displays.

I can't see many people wanting to pay to have a wall skimmed with magnetic plaster to make it magnetic, and very few having it done when skimming anyway. It's too costly for no added benefit other than an alternative way to do what they are already doing.

I may be wrong time will tell, but I doubt it.

You obviously haven't used it or seen it? The finish alone will stand against any polished plaster I have seen one in particular which is very common at the moment is a polished concrete look. The walls I have done the first comments I have had is wow I like the finish. You can't compare it to a cork board because a corkboard looks ugly were as this can look any way you want your wall to look. It would outlast any polished finish or it can be decorated a number of times where as polished can only be re polished or another different colour done which is a massive expense and polished can get damaged very easily, also you need to make holes to hang pictures so your pretty much stuck with having the picture Hung in the same place and venetian is near on impossible to patch.
.lol.. I,m sure the polished plaster in venice has lasted a little longer than this will... does it look any different when painted to and floated wall ? i think not..

.lol.. I,m sure the polished plaster in venice has lasted a little longer than this will... does it look any different when painted to and floated wall ? i think not..
I've seen like walls hundreds of years old with a lime finish on so what is the point your making? Does polished plaster look any different when painted to a magnetic wall? Exactly but it is still magnetic were as a polished wall is just a wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.