Why does my Multi Finish develop post-polish blemishes during drying ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yozzer

I'm applying MF to walls in my old 3-story house.
PVA-ing , then 1st coat , trowel down , wait 30-40 mins, 2nd coat, fill in , polish inc water spray.
Job looks & feels very flat and firm , yet next morning , has quite a few small , rough blemishes dotted around
What am I doing wrong ?

Yozzer
Wirral

I'm applying MF to walls in my old 3-story house.
PVA-ing , then 1st coat , trowel down , wait 30-40 mins, 2nd coat, fill in , polish inc water spray.
Job looks & feels very flat and firm , yet next morning , has quite a few small , rough blemishes dotted around
What am I doing wrong ?

Yozzer
Wirral

after your 1st coat wait 8half min to 2nd coat

Thx All.
My Blisters all go inwards, so is this PVA still wet, 1st coat too watery , or waiting too long for 2nd coat ?
ta,
Yozzer

Spot on !
And they sand out easy enough , but are a pain in the ar*e , 'cos 95% of the finish is perfect
Yozzer

Hi Yozzer, Get your second coat on a lot quicker and don't put it on too thick. Also try not to be too heavy handed once the second coat is on and flat, let the trowel glide over the plaster without forcing too much. Hope this helps, stuart

When its near set and you start to see them, use end of trowel to smooth them over, most of the time you will get them on re-skims, that or buy a bag of fine filler lol

I agree - Get second coat on quicker. Time between coats depends on the backgrounds suction rate(Oo Er)
Ie a painted walls second coat will be longer than an old victorian terrace's walls that have no paint and very porus.
It's all in the feel when your new. Really difficult to explain but the plaster needs to be wet still but just starting to firm up when second coat goes on - You'll get there!!!!

Oh and over watering the wall will cause pits but biggest problem with that will be a white powdery bloom all over the surface when comes off brushed with fingers. In effect too much water has weakened the plaster!!

Status
Not open for further replies.