Why did clout nails go ?

Members online

Vincey

Private Member
Preferred them to screws , I mean collated costs a bomb or we got impact drivers and the screws hanging around waistline all day long and tbh I recon nailing up a ceiling is faster than both them drills

Bring back clouts I say and why the hell did they go anyways ?

Last edited:
Cos they are not up to the standard now days. Boards are heavier and clout nails are used on domestic only.

Cos the heads pop in fires and boards fall on burning people or alternative!y it was a conspiracy perpetrated by the screw manufactures or screw gun manufacturers and I cannot believe I have spent as long as I have typing all this bollox!!!! :)

Preferred them to screws , I mean collated costs a bomb or we got impact drivers and the screws hanging around waistline all day long and tbh I recon nailing up a ceiling is fast than both them drills

Coz screws are better it's that simple you need to move forward rather than being stuck in the past. :risas:

Preferred them to screws , I mean collated costs a bomb or we got impact drivers and the screws hanging around waistline all day long and tbh I recon nailing up a ceiling is fast than both them drills

Because a screw has a thread and less likely to move than a nail as they are smooth in comparison

Cos they are not up to the standard now days. Boards are heavier and clout nails are used on domestic only.
I use them on beads everyday.fuk them staples utter shite .I still spike the occasional ceiling and stud rapid with an estwing

Nah everytime i over skim a ceiling with a crack I scrim the ceiling up around crack and it always pulls the ceiling up. Reckon nails drop a little over time.

I remember lafarge doing a gold coloured clout.like a ringshank they was the dogs years ago

Cos the heads pop in fires and boards fall on burning people or alternative!y it was a conspiracy perpetrated by the screw manufactures or screw gun manufacturers and I cannot believe I have spent as long as I have typing all this bollox!!!! :)

They pop if you burst Through the paper mainly

Preferred them to screws , I mean collated costs a bomb or we got impact drivers and the screws hanging around waistline all day long and tbh I recon nailing up a ceiling is faster than both them drills

All the clout mines dried up Vincey...
Only a few mines left in Africa now. :)

They pop if you burst Through the paper mainly
That's part of the £1 a miss game when boarding ceilings. It's £1 if you miss the joist, break the paper and £50 if you forget to take out your missed screw cos trowels don't like hitting them.
Av never paid an apprentice since 2010 and I've got 18 new trowels in the lock up.

Might start a photo comp for the trowels

Serious though there must be one of you lot that can remember what year roughly they kind of stopped being used by everyone tbh I'm thinking I gonna go back to using um don't see the point of forking out for one of these collated and I'm fed up with getting sharp black splinters in my left fingers and thumb.

Serious though there must be one of you lot that can remember what year roughly they kind of stopped being used by everyone tbh I'm thinking I gonna go back to using um don't see the point of forking out for one of these collated and I'm fed up with getting sharp black splinters in my left fingers and thumb.

Don't use the cheap black dry wall screws then

Buy a collated drill driver hilti the dogs plumbs

I just use a cheap bosch 18v 1.3ah drill. Lovely and light, not ear banging like the impacts and does all you need. Get the zinc screws and you won't get nearly as many splinters. Would love a colleted but hefty upfront sum plus like twice the price for screws. Don't go back to nails, there is a reason they got left behind.

Why are screws expensive the money's not coming out of your pocket and the reason is cos they kept popping and screws offer positive placement and mf is more heavily used than ever before. It's this another bg info finding mission

Why are screws expensive the money's not coming out of your pocket and the reason is cos they kept popping and screws offer positive placement and mf is more heavily used than ever before. It's this another bg info finding mission

Funny isn't it he doesn't mind spending £2000 plus more on uni over the course of a year though

I seem to remember using gyproc clout nails in the ninties ,they were a form of ring nail,I remember me old dad telling me he could lath a ceiling quicker than I could board one,that was in the days of horsehair ,oh dear,every post I make ,I'm sounding like an old fart