Who on here actually has a trade

Members online

yep did my 4 year apprenticeship went to college and on site back in the late 80s early 90s we do boarding ,skimming .sand and cement ,artex .coving supply and fit or make on site ,wet dash .dry dash .napp finish,float and sponge, k rend and the like ,external insulation mesh acrylic ,machine or hand applied ,over here (ireland) felt batton tile or slate is a plasterers job so we do that ,basically anything to do with internal or external we do

Yup...

I have certificates and even I agree they are not worth the paper they are written on....

As long as what you do is perfect then who cares

I know a man who says hes at it 30 years, has papers to teach people and all sorts of certs. No joke, on my kids lives he is the worst tradesman ive ever seen.

I dryline,skim ,venetain and micro.Got alot of micro lined up for next year and tbh if I could just do that I would beore than happy.

Yup there are a lot about for sure
Most definatly.
I can do most basic internal stuff. Thought i knew alot more before I came on here. Ten years ago I.d have wanted to learn every thing now I just do what i do as have no interest. Would love to find the thing that motivates me but don't know what it is. It's defo nowt in building game.
Then again been by my sen on a site I have to unlock in dark then wade through mud for last week

yep did my 4 year apprenticeship went to college and on site back in the late 80s early 90s we do boarding ,skimming .sand and cement ,artex .coving supply and fit or make on site ,wet dash .dry dash .napp finish,float and sponge, k rend and the like ,external insulation mesh acrylic ,machine or hand applied ,over here (ireland) felt batton tile or slate is a plasterers job so we do that ,basically anything to do with internal or external we do
Am the same as u.

But can you skim over artex..

Some days I don't mind skimming tbh. If i was rendering for a month or so. Don't mind the odd bit of it. But I see myself taking a 50% pay cut going skimming if not more.

Only thing I didn’t do was fibrous.
Render
Render & set (sand/cement/sirapite)
All the gypsum backing coats & finishes
Little bit of pargetting
Floor screeding
Wall and floor tiling
Grano floors and skirtings
Limework, in and out.
Angles in Keene’s cement
Lathing
Tacking
Whining & complaining
Fixing walls and floors and ceilings so they look spot on s**t hot good.
Have you got any pictures of your pargetting?

Definitely. Plastering can be a tidy little trade if you’re smart.

If you’re just a plastering machine who cares more about being a ‘proper spread’ - you’ll likely be an alcoholic mess by 55
U have a long way to go son

I can skim, float and set, render internal and external, board, dab, can screed but wouldn't do anything more than a few metres.

Also do wall and floor tiling, have done full bathroom refits but they aren't worth the stress as can earn more skimming ceilings, will do basic carpentry.. fit new door frames, hang doors, skirts, stud work etc/

Learnt a huge amount from being on this site!

Definitely. Plastering can be a tidy little trade if you’re smart.

If you’re just a plastering machine who cares more about being a ‘proper spread’ - you’ll likely be an alcoholic mess by 55

Totally agree with that, when people say plastering is s**t money they are obviously doing something wrong, can earn very good money, also sense of pride it gives is priceless.

Your well come

Theres
Totally agree with that, when people say plastering is s**t money they are obviously doing something wrong, can earn very good money, also sense of pride it gives is priceless.

It can be s**t money just depends on the person. I know lads 5 days a week on site and barely pull a grand a week in. That’s 5 hard days too. Just isn’t worth it imo

Theres

It can be s**t money just depends on the person. I know lads 5 days a week on site and barely pull a grand a week in. That’s 5 hard days too. Just isn’t worth it imo
Is a grand a week not very good money then when they is people starving in the world

Theres

What do you regard as s**t money and what do you regard as good money?

Do you think being a plasterer is a good job?

What do you regard as s**t money and what do you regard as good money?

Do you think being a plasterer is a good job?

Minimum grand a week is ok. Anything less s**t.

I think being a plasterer is a s**t job, but a good little trade. Low overheads, alot of s**t plasterers about so once you have a good rep the work floods in. Then you charge accordingly.

I ran a completely unrelated business and it taught me alot about money. You ever met anyone who runs a successful online retail business?

Over xmas my pal makes around 5k a night, while he sleeps. Online businesses never stop. All
He does is imports and packs orders.

Minimum grand a week is ok. Anything less s**t.

I think being a plasterer is a s**t job, but a good little trade. Low overheads, alot of s**t plasterers about so once you have a good rep the work floods in. Then you charge accordingly.

I ran a completely unrelated business and it taught me alot about money. You ever met anyone who runs a successful online retail business?

Over xmas my pal makes around 5k a night, while he sleeps. Online businesses never stop. All
He does is imports and packs orders.
Sorry but if you think anything less than a grand a week is not very good money then u are very wrong my friend