Which plaster do you use?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeadams1985

Private Member
Just curious as to which plaster the fibrous lads use?
We use to use @BritishGypsum herculite no.2 and fine casting / plus

But switched to lafarge prestia casting and prestia creation a few years back. Got a bag of fine casting the other day to finish a job off and can honestly say it's absolute horse **** compared to lafarges stuff.

Use the lafarge ca120 adhesive aswell. Much better than fibrefix aswell.

A lot cheaper too!

What do u guys use?

Last edited by a moderator:
We are using British gypsum e-cast at present ,
I think it's made especially for the Irish market , it's like the BG casting but sets quicker , we used Lafarge prestia 23 no1 for many years ,in the boom , but no longer easily available as they have cut back on supply here fibre fix for fixing , although the lads prefer the CA120 but same problem with availability

Well the general consensus among the casters was in favour of Lafarge , but seem to be used to BG now , it took a while , as they don't like change . Poor things

hi guys

we mainly use BG casting, at college, but in the past I've used BG casting, super fine, heculite stone, herculite, fibre fix and dental plaster

I have a cornice to run at the top of a stairwell, a simple Georgian Scottish style, about 7" by 7", comprising of a relatively simple rail on wall and ceiling, with typical concave curve.
It's been a long time since I ran a cornice, only ever did a few with my old journeyman and have run one or two on my own.
Was thinking of building out from the corner in a timber board covered in expamet to save core work/time, running the horse with a baffle, to build up in thistle bonding within a few mm of face, then simply use multi-finish gauged with lime cut faster setting to run in finished face..
Could this work out can anyone recommend what plaster I should use?
Any advice appreciated!

The plan is to multi it soon as the bonding is set, no need to pva in that case as I think the bonding will shrug off the pva/ pva wrong adhere when bonding is still green in my experience but def will scratch it, was thinking of cutting teeth into the muffle ( baffle up here) explicitly for that purpose

snip

was thinking of cutting teeth into the muffle ( baffle up here) explicitly for that purpose
I most always sawtooth my mufflers Sky.

in this case the blade is to produce the beginnings of a crown....
122802crown0004.jpg

lime and USG HydroCal White here in Texas.
090802crown0007.jpg

102902crown0002.jpg

102902crown0008.jpg

102902crown0020.jpg

010503crown0029.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.